Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Options
  • 16-03-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

For anyone doesn't know Kendrick's new album is out!

Downloaded it earlier, hopefully get listening to it on lunch. Good reports going by twitter, Quest from the roots said it's blown him away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

lyrically it has blown everything out the water. great album

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Fantastic album, enjoyed it much more from the start than GKMC.

Is anyone missing the blacker the berry from the iTunes version?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

apparently it's been pulled from iTunes now

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    apparently it's been pulled from iTunes now

Nah it's still there.

• Advertisement

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Nah it's still there.
    ah right, i seen someone post it on instagram that it's blocked, think it was Ebro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Really looking forward to giving this a blast later. The link above doesn't work on my phone ! Was going to plug in the aux lead for the trip home, nothing will do now :p.

Really looking forward to giving this a blast later. The link above doesn't work on my phone ! Was going to plug in the aux lead for the trip home, nothing will do now :p.

That link links you to a spotify playlist...so if you have the spotify app, go straight in from there.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    That link links you to a spotify playlist...so if you have the spotify app, go straight in from there.

Ye cheers, the link wasn't working but I've found it on the Spotify app. The free version of Spotify is set to shuffle only, life is so hard for a hip hop fan these days :p, we're actually spoilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Not mad on it yet lads.

That's only after one listen to be fair. I was really, really disappointed the song he did live on the Colbert report wasn't on there as I thought it was great and much better than some tracks on the album.

Best song on it is still blacker the berry, though I liked these walls and a couple of others.

Not sure how much it will grow on me, there are certain Kendrick tracks where my jaw literally drops (ie Hiii Power and Ronald Regan era) and I think he's just about the most talented rapper I've ever heard. However a lot of his output leaves me underwhelmed (ie swimming pools), and I think it's more down to the production than the actual bars.

Gonna blaze a few joints and have another listen later, this one feels like a grower ... really wanted a studio version of that Colbert report track though, can't understand playing that on live TV and then not including it on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Kendricks New album

A Simple Review (IMO)

I
    The Blacker the Berry (By far the best track on the album)
    Wesley's Theory
    Hood Politics
    King Kunta

Production wise this album is all over the place :/ How can this guy be signed to arguably the best producer in hip hop's label and still be releasing album with such weak beats on it?

That snippet of him and dre in the studio for the beats commercial belongs on this album!

That being said the Lyrics are quite good and i can say the 5 tracks mentioned above are really excellent

5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

It definitely takes a few listens to get into it and is much more complex than his previous albums but once I got into it I was blown away. Difficult to pick a favourite track because they're all apart of the message and story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can't undertand not liking the production. Its an amazing album imo. My Favourites
    My favourites are
    Wesley's Theory
    King Kunta
    U
    Hood Ploitics
    How Much a Dollar Cost
    You Ain't Gotta Lie
    Mortal Man

The Pac inteview on Mortal Man is great.

pone2012 wrote: »
    Kendricks New album

A Simple Review (IMO)

I
    The Blacker the Berry (By far the best track on the album)
    Wesley's Theory
    Hood Politics
    King Kunta

Production wise this album is all over the place :/ How can this guy be signed to arguably the best producer in hip hop's label and still be releasing album with such weak beats on it?

That snippet of him and dre in the studio for the beats commercial belongs on this album!

That being said the Lyrics are quite good and i can say the 5 tracks mentioned above are really excellent

5/10
    Wouldn't suit TPAB at all.
    Sounds more like a leftover Detox track imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Jesus Christ, the production on this album is absolutely impeccable! These funky baselines bubbling under waves of saxophone and other jazz influences is a joy to listen to

D'Angelo/Dilla/Soulquarians vibe is all over this project sound wise, that beat on Momma for example is like Jay Dee reincarnated, pure bliss!

Lyrically, I can see a lot of heads been disappointed at the fact that there's very few times on here where K Dot just completely spazzes the f@ck out, this album is much more subtle.

For Free for instance, has stupid dope bars scattered all over it, but they're hard to catch because Kendrick is taking his delivery/use of plugins to the extreme, and there's examples like that throughout the whole album

So, because of that and because the production on this is so f@cling good, I'm finding it hard to fully focus on K's verses.

Damn, tho, Kendrick is gonna shake the game up with this!

Bronsan and Curren$y also due to drop next week, this year is already looking better than last!

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wouldn't suit TPAB at all.
    Sounds more like a leftover Detox track imo.

Well wouldnt suit the vibe of the album I agree but he should have thrown it in as a bonus or something
    horsebox09 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, the production on this album is absolutely impeccable! These funky baselines bubbling under waves of saxophone and other jazz influences is a joy to listen to

Lyrically, I can see a lot of heads been disappointed at the fact that there's very few times on here where K Dot just completely spazzes the f@ck out, this album is much more subtle.

Well i thought it a bit scattered production wise, in comparison to GKMC. The beats on this to me just felt like when they were good, they were great and when they were bad they were terrible. Each to their own I suppose. I'm still curious as to why Dr Dre is not contributing anything significant to the one who is practically the future of his record label

yea he needs better producers.

get timbaland, Lunice, Premo on the next album please and mixed with jaw dropping beats and his lyric ability it could be a masterpiece

I'm dumbstruck that anyone could possibly think that the production on this album isn't good. If there's anything about this album that is nigh on perfect it's the production. The beats aren't what one would consider classic hip-hop beats and the heavy jazz influence is obvious and that might be what is throwing some people off; the whole album has a very different sound to what we've been used to hearing in hip-hop.

But when Dr. Dre exec. produced the whole album and Boi-1da, Flying Lotus, Sounwave, Thundercat among others were involved in production for the album it just seems ignorant to me to suggest that Kendrick doesn't have good producers.

pone2012 wrote: »
    5/10

Also, I'm sorry but that rating is simply laughable.

yea he needs better producers.

get timbaland, Lunice, Premo on the next album please and mixed with jaw dropping beats and his lyric ability it could be a masterpiece
    You need better ears:p

• Advertisement

I'm dumbstruck that anyone could possibly think that the production on this album isn't good. If there's anything about this album that is nigh on perfect it's the production. The beats aren't what one would consider classic hip-hop beats and the heavy jazz influence is obvious and that might be what is throwing some people off; the whole album has a very different sound to what we've been used to hearing in hip-hop.

But when Dr. Dre exec. produced the whole album and Boi-1da, Flying Lotus, Sounwave, Thundercat among others were involved in production for the album it just seems ignorant to me to suggest that Kendrick doesn't have good producers.

Exactly the point I was making. To be honest i love Kendrick as a lyricist but i just dont particularly like some of the beats one the album. id praise the lyrics well above the production on this. Thats how I feel after 4 listens
    Also, I'm sorry but that rating is simply laughable.

Sorry man thats my honest opinion, the beauty of hip hop is that not everyone has the same taste in it. Is my opinion any more or less valid than yours? I dont think so.....But its my opinion and im entitled to it

Liking it so far, production is on point, refreshingly on point. Lyrically he comes with it, he always does imo, that was never in doubt for me. I wasn't blown away by GKMC, I've said it here numerous times through the years, Section 80 is the benchmark and GKMC didn't come close to it. I'm not going to compare this yet, I've not listened to it enough, plus the biggest test of any album is the test of time, will you still be playing this album a few years from now...

Love the 2pac interview too, great addition to the album. This is a lesson to the kanyes of this world in how to make a relevant album without selling out with meaningless egotistical subject matter e.g fashion, kardashians etc the substance is real and people can relate, that's something the average mainstream rapper has a problem with these days, kendricks the most relevant for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Liking it so far, production is on point, refreshingly on point. Lyrically he comes with it, he always does imo, that was never in doubt for me. I wasn't blown away by GKMC, I've said it here numerous times through the years, Section 80 is the benchmark and GKMC didn't come close to it. I'm not going to compare this yet, I've not listened to it enough, plus the biggest test of any album is the test of time, will you still be playing this album a few years from now...

Love the 2pac interview too, great addition to the album. This is a lesson to the kanyes of this world in how to make a relevant album without selling out with meaningless egotistical subject matter e.g fashion, kardashians etc the substance is real and people can relate, that's something the average mainstream rapper has a problem with these days, kendricks the most relevant for a reason.

There's something called variety in music and trying different things and it be a sad day if all rap music was the same.

Doris300 wrote: »
    There's something called variety in music and trying different things and it be a sad day if all rap music was the same.

From a kanye perspective or in general?

I've started a thread dedicated to discussion on the album and moved the posts from the Hip Hop 2015 here.

....and I still haven't listened to it yet

Spotify record for most plays in 24 hours was broken by the album -> http://www.djbooth.net/index/news/entry/2015-03-17-kendricks-to-pimp-a-butterfly-breaks-spotify-record

the album is a classic.

could rival ilmatic

the production is good. i never said it wasnt but could be better in places.

The more i listen to it, the more i like it

It gets a 10 from Fantano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Advertisement