Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Comments

Wow need to pick this up this week, getting insane reviews across the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

the album is a classic.

could rival ilmatic

54364633.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

the album is a classic.

could rival ilmatic

I would highly doubt that.....illmatic is one of the best hip hop albums of all time, this is not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

pone2012 wrote: »
    I would highly doubt that.....illmatic is one of the best hip hop albums of all time, this is not.....

It very well might be, too early to call at this early stage though.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    It very well might be, too early to call at this early stage though.

How so?? Illmatic is one of the best albums in hip hop..period...

Im all for kendrick as a lyricist hes excellent and ive backed him since he was touring with The Game long before section 80 and im a fan..but this is not on par with Illmatic that is timeless. and there are very few albums i can say are, a handful i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

the album is a classic.

could rival ilmatic

LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just gave it one listen so far, nothing really grabbing me. Doesn't help I'm not a fan of jazzy saxophone. I was very slow to K Dot though, took me about year to sit down and listen to all of his stuff. I'd say will be no different here. After 1st listen through, I just want to go back and listen to Section 80 & GKMC. After reading this thread, I just wanna go back and listen to Illmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its a great album. Its doesn't have as much highs as GKMC or S80 but it is more consistent.
    How Much a Dollar Cost is an incredible song too.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just gave it one listen so far, nothing really grabbing me. Doesn't help I'm not a fan of jazzy saxophone. I was very slow to K Dot though, took me about year to sit down and listen to all of his stuff. I'd say will be no different here. After 1st listen through, I just want to go back and listen to Section 80 & GKMC. After reading this thread, I just wanna go back and listen to Illmatic.

Accompanied by deep baseline or no?

I'm going to preview the album on 7digital later

Ah just any jazz really. So much so that i have to fastforward the opening credits for Homeland tv show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Ah just any jazz really. So much so that i have to fastforward the opening credits for Homeland tv show.

haha in that case it's very unlikely you'll warm to the sound of this album.

3520401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The lyrics are on point but I just can't get passed the jazzy/funky production, I've only listened to it once though so it may grow on me.

In the meantime, gunna go listen to Illmatic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

This is one of the best albums I've listened to in a long long time. This man has a lot to say and say's it very well. Production wise reminds me of Madlib style stuff. Will have another listen with a few more drinks right now.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Been listening to it on repeat the last few days. It's so sophisticated and stylistic, everythings just fits together perfectly. Lyrics have long been Kendrick's strong point, and he delivers on that front with ease also.

GKMC was more unabashedly dark than this, but it still has an undercurrent of menace throughout. I think it's a great record, and makes me more excited to see how he can take his work to an even higher level after this. The sky truly is the limit for this man.

Its a solid album. I don't think after several listens that's it's anything amazing by any means, but still it's definitely better than the majority of recent stuff out there right now.

His strongest asset is his ability to tell a story and paint a vivid picture, that's something unlike his production that's stayed consistent throughout his career so far.

Its lyrically a great album, worth a listen for the wordplay alone, but I'd agree with some of the above comments on the jazzy type production to it not exactly being easy to warm too. The production deserves credit for its uniqueness though, ye it mightn't be as melodic as GKMC or section 80,but it was obviously more or less an artistic choice from kendrick.

Again though section 80 and his mixtapes prior to it are his best work, his two mainstream commercial releases have been great too but the stuff before leaves them for dust.

I haven't heard any of his stuff before section 80, any recommendations,

Its a solid album. I don't think after several listens that's it's anything amazing by any means, but still it's definitely better than the majority of recent stuff out there right now.

His strongest asset is his ability to tell a story and paint a vivid picture, that's something unlike his production that's stayed consistent throughout his career so far.

Its lyrically a great album, worth a listen for the wordplay alone, but I'd agree with some of the above comments on the jazzy type production to it not exactly being easy to warm too. The production deserves credit for its uniqueness though, ye it mightn't be as melodic as GKMC or section 80,but it was obviously more or less an artistic choice from kendrick.

Again though section 80 and his mixtapes prior to it are his best work, his two mainstream commercial releases have been great too but the stuff before leaves them for dust.

This is what i was saying!!!

A bit of vintage K.dot here!!! Love this track!!! unreal storytelling!!

Only listened to a few tracks but I do feel that this may be the most important hip hop album of the decade. From what I've heard the album is an examination of race relations on both sides of the spectrum and Lamar is quite open with his attack black culture for the way in which it hurts only itself through the manner in which it perpetuates racial inequality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ive fallen in love with TPAB form start to finish. U(darkest track on the album, must have been pretty tough to write) and Hood Politics(the Killer Mike line is gold) are stand outs to me at the moment. The George Clinton and Thundercat apperance on Wesley's theory are class too

• Advertisement

I haven't heard any of his stuff before section 80, any recommendations,

If you have Spotify his two mixtapes prior to section 80 are available, the overly dedicated series. Honestly I think you'll enjoy them a lot, imo head and shoulders above GKMC and to pimp a butterfly.

There's an old kendrick lamar thread here too that I started a couple of years back, there's a few songs that would of been posted that were unreleased that are well worth a listen.
    A bit of vintage K.dot here!!! Love this track!!! unreal storytelling!!

One of my personal favorites.

Excellent Thanks man, have 80 and gkmc saved as playlists OOB my spotify, definitely gonna check out his older stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Keep recommending the Kendrick tracks lads

weemcd wrote: »
    Keep recommending the Kendrick tracks lads

One song you might enjoy is cartoons and cereal , it was a cut that didn't make section 80, It's one of his best imo, very aggressive feel to it.

I can't post the link on my phone but its on YouTube, you won't find it on spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Serious levels of anger concerning the current state of the western world at end of this record which is great to hear from a current popular artist. This LP just gets better for me with each listen. Real Talk.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

is this on spotify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cartoons & Cereal is his greatest song. TPAB will be an album that in years time that will be considered a classic.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Cartoons & Cereal is his greatest song. TPAB will be an album that in years time that will be considered a classic.

Lyrically yes this is possible

Not so sure about the production as of yet..I need a few more listens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I think it is the production that is causing some people to dislike the album. For me personally I was hoping for more aggressive beats to match his lyrics a la GKMC. That doesn't necessarily mean the beats on TPAB are bad just not what I was looking for from a Kendrick album. That said I do believe it will grow on me.

Advertisement