Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview with Gabe Newell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jaysus, He mentions worrying that terry pratchett won't do another disk world novel because he has alzheimers...eerie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

im sick of them dodging questions about half life three, seriously just tell us exactly what happened or will happen and stop this smoke and mirrors act its infuriating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

fergus1001 wrote: »
    im sick of them dodging questions about half life three, seriously just tell us exactly what happened or will happen and stop this smoke and mirrors act its infuriating

I can't think of another example of a company involved in game development feigning ignorance about something for so long, I'm sure there are a number of things that mean making Half Life 3 is difficult, but to give the world no understanding of where in the process you are (or if you really started) for such a long time is just bizarre - the most recent Half-life game came out in October 2007!

If, in 2007 they had come out and said "making the game we want to make is going to take a decade" we might have been shocked, but at least we would know. Now as we approach that milestone, I can't understand how anyone with integrity can be content to leave a storyline on a cliffhanger and leave fans across the world with nothing but questions.

What's more upsetting is that Valve (and specifically Newell) act like it's an insult to ask them where the game is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

anything they say about it would be taken as gospel though. Even if they changed their mind later. I think they learned a mistake there about early peeks at Teamfortress 2, below, and claiming that Episodic Gaming was the way forward and would result in more releases more often, etc.

Tf2oldstlye.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

The apprehension of repeating past mistakes that Gabe eludes to is just plain daft in this case though

Sure, the mistake of showing your plans for TF2 before undergoing an almost completely different creative change was bad, but it's not like it hindered the success of TF2 in any way. It's the equivalent of saying "I made mistakes in the past, if I just stand still and keep my mouth shut, I can't do anything wrong!" - It's a strange kind of shame, but the success of Steam as a distribution platform has meant that valve don't need to try anymore. I am beginning to believe that this is the primary reason why HL3 is vaporware - if they really needed to make HL3 for their company's survival I imagine it would have been made 3-4 years ago

I'm actually glad you reminded me about the whole "episodic gaming" thing too, It annoys me how the PCMR community idolises gaben and its things like that should show people that Valve aren't infallible and have both failed and succeeded in the past by fluke, not by design.

• Advertisement
Advertisement