Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal tablet for movies

• 18-03-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to get a reasonably cheap tablet for watching movies/tv shows on my daily commute to/from work.I was considering an Ipad as I currently use a macbook and Iphone but they are too expensive for what I need as I will only be catching up on tv shows/movies on it as watching them on the laptop in bed is killing my sleep pattern and I have enough time on the tube to watch an hr of TV!

Ideally I want something that is easy to transfer files to, is light enough, 7"-9" screen.

Suggestions welcome!!

thanks

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

How about a samsung galaxy tab 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,362 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Atom based android tablets are fast and the price not too high

Hudl2 might be worth looking at, although not sold in Ireland

Asus memo-pad would be similar, sold in Argos or pcworld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nexus 9 would be my choice.

I should have added that I would have a budget of about £200. Would prob consider 2nd hand too for a better model. Appreciate the replies so far!!

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Atom based android tablets are fast and the price not too high

Hudl2 might be worth looking at, although not sold in Ireland

Asus memo-pad would be similar, sold in Argos or pcworld

Agree with the above an atom based android is a great compromise on price vs performance.
    I have a note 12.1 for work stuff but find its too big for commute or comfortable in hand viewing so I use a Tesco Hudl2 for my second screen viewing. Good performance, good screen size only downside for me is a below 7hr battery life for movie viewing.
    Similar and better spec can be got from China a lot cheaper too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe look for something with a 16:9 or 14:9 aspect ratio if it's primarily for movies. iPad etc are 4:3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Nexus 7

Has a great screen and battery life. It doesn't have an SD card slot but
    you can get a usb/otg drive quite cheaply now.

frag420 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to get a reasonably cheap tablet for watching movies/tv shows on my daily commute to/from work.I was considering an Ipad as I currently use a macbook and Iphone but they are too expensive for what I need as I will only be catching up on tv shows/movies on it as watching them on the laptop in bed is killing my sleep pattern and I have enough time on the tube to watch an hr of TV!

Ideally I want something that is easy to transfer files to, is light enough, 7"-9" screen.

Suggestions welcome!!

thanks

frAg

I saw this on bargain alerts...........http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308686300?tduid=2e97bf9f1dd0ad37e42f2db7681d70c2

Would this be a good option. As mentioned its purely for watching tv shows/movies on my tube commute to work!!

Also found a 2nd hand Nexus 7 Sec Gen for £70 on gumtree. Seems to be in perfect condition, worth it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,362 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I like the windows tablets, more memory too with the sd card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

frag420 wrote: »
    Hi,

Suggestions welcome!!

thanks

frAg

Why don't you just use your laptop to watch movies on the commute?

Advertisement