Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apparently 'pikey' means 'cheap'

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

AFAIK it's a term that's more associated with English Romanichals than Irish Travellers. There's quite a few in Kent and East Anglia for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

technically it does. one is entitled to be offended by something. whether they should be offended is a different story.

No, "technically" (whatever that means) it doesn't. A right is something which is enshrined in law and there is no law anywhere which states you have the right to live your life free from feeling offended, primarily because it would probably take up 90% of courts' time if it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I went to Uni in Surrey and the student population commanly referred to people from the local council estate as being 'pikeys'. There was a lot of hostility between the local student and non-student communities so it wasn't said with any affection.

Prior to 'Snatch' I'd never heard it used in connection with gypsies at all, let alone Irish travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, it's crazy how brits take racist words and use them so much they now have been diluted enough to not even be racist any more. Mind boggling really.

On the other hand words that were not racist before are now racist. Like nig-nog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 imperator567

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Apparently the word 'pikey' means 'cheap'... well, according to the BBC.,

Basically, traveller groups complained that the use of the word pikey was racist, but BBC Trust ruled that its use related to the contemporary meaning of the word as 'cheap' rather than specifically related to travellers.

whether it's offensive to travellers - I'm not a traveller, so not quite over to me to say.

But as for the use of the word - I don't watch Top Gear, but on hearing the word 'pikey' I wouldn't really have thought of it as meaning anything other than related to travellers.

So, interesting to hear it ruled that other viewers would

Maybe I'm the odd one out and just not up with to speed with the contemporary use of words :P

It cockney rhyming slang for traveller .

Do as you likey......Pikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

No harm to give it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

token101 wrote: »
    No, "technically" (whatever that means) it doesn't. A right is something which is enshrined in law and there is no law anywhere which states you have the right to live your life free from feeling offended, primarily because it would probably take up 90% of courts' time if it did.

So certain and yet so wrong. Obviously the right to be offended as used in English means both the legal and moral entitlement. From Webster.

a moral or legal entitlement to have or do something.
    "she had every right to be angry"

Replace angry with offended there.

taking offence is also legal, since it isn't illegal. people do have the legal right to take offence, which isn't the same as having legal recourse to act on that offence unless it's libellous.

Advertisement