Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring 2 pin to 3 pin- identical wires

Options
  • 18-03-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I bought a new lamp which had a 2 pin plug on it, after snipping the 2 pin off i realised that both wires are identical so I am unsure which is live and which is neutral. Is there a way to find out which is which so I can re plug the device without frying it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭tphase

there's no earth so it doesn't matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

It doesn't make any difference. Its safe to wire them up either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bstens

tphase wrote: »
    there's no earth so it doesn't matter

So either wire can be the live and the neutral and I can connect either one up to the live pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Your not going to fry the device as such by getting the wires backwards.

As others have said the wires can go either way. The only thing you need to watch out for is if there a switch on the lamp. If there's a switch on the lamp, best practice would be to have that switch on the "live" wire. If there is a switch and the wires aren't coloured/marked, you'll need some form of continuity tester to figure out which is the "live" wire at the plug.

The wires feed into a box with a switch on it and then continue on into the lamp stand. Its a screw fitting bulb too if that makes a difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Work out which wire goes through the switch and use that as 'live'

xabi wrote: »
    Work out which wire goes through the switch and use that as 'live'

good idea, i will try that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

bstens wrote: »
    The wires feed into a box with a switch on it and then continue on into the lamp stand. Its a screw fitting bulb too if that makes a difference!

Polarity does matter with the older non-EN marked Edison Screw lamps (without insulated threads) as the phase conductor should only be connected into the centre pin.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Polarity does matter with the older non-EN marked Edison Screw lamps (without insulated threads) as the phase conductor should only be connected into the centre pin.

its a brand new light bought through a reputable furniture store here so hopefully this will not be a po

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

bstens wrote: »
    its a brand new light bought through a reputable furniture store here so hopefully this will not be a po

Does the information tell you what Standard the lampholder is manufactured to?

• Advertisement

I had a further look at the lamp (I have not used it yet!). the switch is a dimmer, on the back of the dimmer it says this.
    Does this all mean that it doesnt matter which way its wired since its definitely AC

Model: KFD-325G series
    220-240v ~
    50Hz/60hz
    40-150w~/

T1AH/250v AC

50x20m/m

found this link to the dimmer prouct on this website
    kaoyi.com/oneproducts.aspx?ProductsCateID=757&CateID=757&CurrCateID=304

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

As Risteard said I would prefer that the live be to the centre pin of the bulb holder, you would need a continuity tester to check this.

Advertisement