Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safe parking in Wicklow?.

• 18-03-2015 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Although I've done a lot of hill walking in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains its always been work organized so parking wasn't an issue.

However I know there's a problem with car theft up in the mountains, assuming I want to bring the bike up (I'm living in Portmarnock so cycling from home and spending a few hours in the hills isn't an option) where do you guys recommend safe parking?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Although I've done a lot of hill walking in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains its always been work organized so parking wasn't an issue.

However I know there's a problem with car theft up in the mountains, assuming I want to bring the bike up (I'm living in Portmarnock so cycling from home and spending a few hours in the hills isn't an option) where do you guys recommend safe parking?.

Can't Imagine it being a major problem during daylight hours tbh..

Maybe park in the carpark in the Glenview hotel, the Moutains open up right behind it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Roundwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Car park in Glendalough or outside the Hotel and you have options from there. Nice 75km loop up the Wicklow gap round the lake and up to sally gap then back to the car. I live in Baldoyle and used to regularly cycle over to Rathfarnham and up into the mountains. Its not a huge distance over to stocking lane or stepaside. Youd get a good 100+ spin in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

neris wrote: »
    Car park in Glendalough or outside the Hotel and you have options from there. Nice 75km loop up the Wicklow gap round the lake and up to sally gap then back to the car. I live in Baldoyle and used to regularly cycle over to Rathfarnham and up into the mountains. Its not a huge distance over to stocking lane or stepaside. Youd get a good 100+ spin in.

You've better legs than I have so lol.

With easy access to the M50 I think I'd prefer to get out of the city fast then begin my day cycling then finish off with a bite to eat before coming home.

But thanks for the answers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

only spots id avoid are remote side of the road carparking where on a quiet day it could just be your own car there while you're 50kms away on a spin.. spots like the carpark near djoice mountain across the road from loch-tay (the guinnes lake) are sketchy enough from what ive heard - too easy for a quick smash and grab, stocking lane lookout is another hot-spot.

edit: park up by the hippy cafe in laragh (glendalough fayre) heaps of routes from that start point

• Advertisement

only spots id avoid are remote side of the road carparking where on a quiet day it could just be your own car there while you're 50kms away on a spin.. spots like the carpark near djoice mountain across the road from loch-tay (the guinnes lake) are sketchy enough from what ive heard - too easy for a quick smash and grab, stocking lane lookout is another hot-spot.

And thats the area where I'm most familiar with, I've seen a lot of break-in's around the around over the years ~ which is very disheartening of course.

And thats the area where I'm most familiar with, I've seen a lot of break-in's around the around over the years ~ which is very disheartening of course.

yeah, im hearing that some walking clubs now have a rotating system of one walker guarding the cars each time the group is out depending on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Enniskerry village is safe, Roundwood village also..

At busy times then most of the bigger carparks are safe with people around, i.e. Crone, Djouce, Ballinastoe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

There's a massive free car park for the dart here in Greystones with cctv cameras. You then have easy access to Wicklow from there.

yeah, im hearing that some walking clubs now have a rotating system of one walker guarding the cars each time the group is out depending on the spot.

I heard that too.

I'm a soldier so I'm a little spoilt, we're dropped off and collected at the start and finish of a days hiking.

But I'm thinking more in terms of days like today when I'm off and there's some glorious sunshine I'd like to have the option of venturing further than north county Dublin & Louth, and know that my car is safe and unharmed upon my return [to it].

• Advertisement

if it were me and im happy to do some climbing the hippy cafe in laragh so is a winner. get a nice coffee in after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

if it were me and im happy to do some climbing the hippy cafe in laragh so is a winner. get a nice coffee in after too.

This, or Roundwood sound like the obvious options. From Roundwood you can go to Laragh and on to Rathdrum, Avoca, etc. and loop back, or go up past Glenmacmass waterfall, over to the crossroads before Sally Gap, take a right and then over Lugalla, down to the road along to Lough Dan and back down into Roundwood - on a day like this that would be one of the most beautiful routes in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

do you not think that a bit unfair on them? Where are their customers supposed to park?

DaithiMC wrote: »
    This, or Roundwood sound like the obvious options. From Roundwood you can go to Laragh and on to Rathdrum, Avoca, etc. and loop back, or go up past Glenmacmass waterfall, over to the crossroads before Sally Gap, take a right and then over Lugalla, down to the road along to Lough Dan and back down into Roundwood - on a day like this that would be one of the most beautiful routes in the country.

On a day like this, post Paddys day?.. I got home at 05:30 this morning after one or two (well maybe a little more) pints ~ I'll be heading no where :P

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

1bryan wrote: »
    do you not think that a bit unfair on them? Where are their customers supposed to park?

They actually don't have segregated car parking space, its roadside and plenty of it, but safer because of all the activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I heard that too.

I'm a soldier so I'm a little spoilt, we're dropped off and collected at the start and finish of a days hiking.

But I'm thinking more in terms of days like today when I'm off and there's some glorious sunshine I'd like to have the option of venturing further than north county Dublin & Louth, and know that my car is safe and unharmed upon my return [to it].
    Wouldn't a few Defence Forces stickers sort the problem out?

If I was a scumbag I'd think twice about nicking stuff from a trained killer peacekeeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

not yet wrote: »
    Can't Imagine it being a major problem during daylight hours tbh..

It's more of a problem during daylight hours I would think. I know several who have had their cars broken into during the day, I've arrived into carparks as people had arrived back to their cars to find their windows broken.

Lumen wrote: »

If I was a scumbag I'd think twice about nicking stuff from a trained killer peacekeeper.

You're assuming these people can read :P

But no, we'd never leave a vehicle unattended up there either. These assholes (thieves not the soldiers :P ) wouldn't care once they think there's something to steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's a massive free car park for the dart here in Greystones with cctv cameras. You then have easy access to Wicklow from there.

I sometimes Dart over with the bike and start cycling from Greystones. More often though, I'll cycle out and dart home. No car parking to worry about.

If I'm going for a very early start, I use the Aircoach. Dublin Airport to Bray in about 40 min for €11...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

DaithiMC wrote: »
    They actually don't have segregated car parking space, its roadside and plenty of it, but safer because of all the activity.

no they don't, you are correct. However, they often have to stand out in front of the shop at busy times to plead with walkers not to park right outside the shop.

There is nothing illegal or necessarily wrong with parking there per se. I would just suggest maybe being mindful that their business relies a lot on passing trade, and to leave them a bit of breathing space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lumen wrote: »

Ha! Not unless said Peacekeeper was in the car at the time! :D

But really, it's not that complicated, plenty of good places to park, and if you do park in a pub or Cafe carpark make sure you go in for a coffee and sandwiches after, return a bit of business to the place and not just park and drive off after...

1bryan wrote: »
    no they don't, you are correct. However, they often have to stand out in front of the shop at busy times to plead with walkers not to park right outside the shop.

There is nothing illegal or necessarily wrong with parking there per se. I would just suggest maybe being mindful that their business relies a lot on passing trade, and to leave them a bit of breathing space.

@1bryan, i wasnt suggesting right outside the shop. there's a nice strip of road to the left of the glendalough fayre front where people could and do easily park and set out on their bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I don't think riding over is as daunting as you think. Give it a try some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you using a bike rack, put it into the boot before you set off for a cycle. There have been a few reports here of lads returning to their car to find the rack gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In the villages would probably be safest and handiest, and I'd say Roundwood has more space. The car parks in Glendalough are generally OK - the upper car park is pay parking, but manned. I've heard more issues with cars left overnight in glendalough rather than during the day.

The dodgiest tend to be the off road out of sight ones. The Sugar Loaf and Crone are pretty notorious, Djouce Woods wouldn't have a great reputation either. I wouldn't leave my car in the sugar loaf car park, I've used Djouce woods though.

Haven't heard too much bad about those spots overlooking lough Tay - was up there the other week and there didn't seem to be much evidence of break ins (not much broken glass). Hardest part would be getting parking a lot of the time!

Even the carpark at the visitors centre is not the safest. Last summer one evening when I came back to my car 3 cars had just been broken into it, 2 I think were hire cars so more likely a target. Best to assume you're safe nowhere.

If you using a bike rack, put it into the boot before you set off for a cycle. There have been a few reports here of lads returning to their car to find the rack gone.

A mate of mine was parked at the pedestrian crossing at Connelly train state (top of Tolbot St) and some little fookers were trying to drag his bike off the rack while he sat in the car lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

What about Kilbride? Is there still an army training place there?

On second thoughts.... http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-for-hijacking-military-jeep-at-army-camp-523557.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

blobbie wrote: »
    What about Kilbride? Is there still an army training place there?

There's the firing range on the road from Butter Mountain to the R759 (Sally Gap road). It's about 5 or 6km from Manor Kilbride.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

A mate of mine was parked at the pedestrian crossing at Connelly train state (top of Tolbot St) and some little fookers were trying to drag his bike off the rack while he sat in the car lol

in that part of town, they'll try to take it off you even if you were actually cycling it, absolute scobes about

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Becks14

The car parks at The Coach Inn in Roundwood an Lynams pub in Laragh are OK too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Park in Blessington. Head out the a Wicklow gap and back the Sally gap. Or vice versa. Stop in Laragh for a ham sambo.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Even the carpark at the visitors centre is not the safest. Last summer one evening when I came back to my car 3 cars had just been broken into it, 2 I think were hire cars so more likely a target. Best to assume you're safe nowhere.
    No where's a 100% safe, but the lower/ visitors car park wouldn't be considered a blackspot. I live in the area, and don't know anyone who has any qualms about using it (unlike some of the other car parks I mentioned).

Just on parking in pubs - some of them are at least threatening to clamp down on this, and are gating them first thing in the morning. Whatever about Laragh where parking is a bit more scarce, I don't see why you'd bother in Roundwood tbh - plenty of safe on-street parking.

Not a blackspot, but not a place to be complacent either. I park at the lower car park myself when going for a spin around that area and never felt worried. It was an evening after a run when I came back to the guys waiting around for the gardai after the break ins, only a few cars down from my own. The upper one is probably that bit safer again as it's manned.

Advertisement