Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Technical boat to sail' - translation?

• 18-03-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there,

after a wine-assisted visit to a certain Internet Auction site, my old man is now the official owner of a (thankfully cheap) Europe dinghy that he has never seen :)

I have done a bit of trawling to try to find out about the Europe, and one comment that caught my eye was: 'Very VERY technical boat to sail.'

Can someone translate please? Is that jargon for 'awkward as hell'? He'd like something with a bit of zip, but also wants to be able to bring the grandkids out and not scare the crap out of them! :D

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think the Europe was the womens olympic single hander years ago and somthing like the Finn. A Europe wouldnt be great for more then 1 person so he can forget the kids. Technical would be a bit more akward to sail and to get the best out of the boat tuning would be important. Probably be better off looking for somthing different. wayfarer or somthing from topper or laser maybe more towards his needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

My sister had a Europe, from what i remember the boom is very low so a taller sailor will have trouble tacking & gybing it

Advertisement