Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you named after anyone or anything?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

The Pope at the time, good ole JP2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Karen Carpenter.......apparently :pac: also have both grandmother's names, confirmation name and a double word surname. Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

Kovu wrote: »
    Karen Carpenter.......apparently :pac: also have both grandmother's names, confirmation name and a double word surname. Ffs.

do you want to talk about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Named after the old chap.

My dad that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

My grandmother. Her name was Margaret but I'm Mairéad. Thought Margaret was too old fashioned...although my own name is going that way now too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My sister went out with a lad who was named after Steve McGarrett of Hawaii 5-0 fame, the 70's version.

He was the youngest in a family of 13, where 10 of them were boys. By the time he arrived, his parents had totally run out of grandparents names, parents names, saints names etc etc to name him after.

They were watching the telly one night, the infamous da da da da daaaaaaaaaaa theme music comes on....and the mammy says 'that's it, we're calling him Steve.'

Jack Lord was the shiznit back in the 70's ! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

One of my best friends is called Tina, her parents let it slip she was conceived on the bonnet of a mk1 cortina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Have a rare enough Christian name. Never met another person with it.

Other than a milk man that used to deliver round our way that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

I was named after a famous queen.
    I think I would name my children after saints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was named after a newspaper column.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

I was named after my Dad....the girlie version of his name. It's not popular anymore and is very hard to pronounce for anyone outside of Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My mother's old secondary school. True fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

RayM wrote: »
    The lead singer of The Kinks. My dad was/is a massive fan and my mum just liked the name.

Cool :cool:
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Mother thought she was naming me after one of the swans in the Children of Lir. But then found out years later it's the name of the evil stepmother that turned them into swans :rolleyes:

Still one of the greatest stories ever told.

I'm named after a famous Irish poet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Named after my uncle and my dad's closest brother who died in an accident several months before I was born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cormac... wrote: »
    How can you tell if a Saint liked your name or not?

Well St. John Paul II said he liked the name when I met him in Galway some years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The priest at my baptism would not allow my parents christen me with the name they wanted as it was not the name of an Irish saint so he decided upon a name close to it. My God-fearing parents just agreed.:mad:

My name on my birth-cert is the name that the priest picked but I go by the name favoured by my folks.

Incredibly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Owldshtok wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Martin!

I appreciate the sentiment but i can assure you that a birthday that takes place the day after paddy's day is rarely a good one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My first and middle name both come from the same prayer, the lazy ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

brummytom wrote: »
    Mine's a family tradition - the eldest son in my mom's family has always been named Thomas or Andrew.

Which one are you, brummytom?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

My first and middle name both come from the same prayer, the lazy ****!

I get the "Mary" as a middle name, but I never met anyone called "Hail" before.
    Is it an anglicised version of "Heil"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

My name happens to rhyme with the dog my parents owned when I was born.

Despite denials, I'm not entirely convinced that this was merely coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

FunLover17

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Liam after Liam Gallagher. Nothing to be proud of. My Dad is a Huge fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was almost named Claire after the Gilbert O Sullivan song that was out when my mother was pregnant. But apparently I didn't look like a Claire, and looked like a name that she had never even considered before. I called my eldest girl after the Stephen King book I was reading whilst pregnant. And no, it's not It :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

my brother is named after a champion jockey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't think of any maternity hospital with human names except... oh I really hope for your sake you weren't born in St Munchin's...
    Down in Cork there is, least what I was told.

Advertisement