Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting rid of Leyandii

• 18-03-2015 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi Due to numerour complaints from surrounding neighbours I have a need to get rid of 5 large Leyandii trees. I love the privacy they afford us and cutting back is not an option as I did this some years back and to do it again at a height acceptable to the neighbours will just leave bare wood with no green. I was thinking of planting Silver or Himilayan Birch as a direct replacement. Has anybody got an opinion on using these or indeed any alternative. I am not too sure the guy I have to remove them will remove the roots so any suggestions on the best way to prepare the ground for replanting. Many Thanks Dar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭rje66

Try to get a stump grinder to manage the roots if possible.
    Personally I'd plant silver birch, Himalayan birch has a larger crown, but either are nice.
    Other options could be Sorbus vilmornii or other varieties of Sorbus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If they have not yet been cut then there is no excuse for not getting out the stumps, it is a bit more work with a tifor but grinding the stump in situ will not give you planting space.
    Do you have side access?
    I removed sixteen 40 foot ones in our garden when we bought 30 years ago.

I used a three tonne tifor, the leverage the height gave me was tremendous, I got the last one out by pulling it from the road with the car.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

tumblr_l2yq84yN591qc073co1_400.gif

Have these bollixin trees all around my house. About 60 in total, maybe even more. Wish I could afford to nuke them from orbit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cut down 70 foot of leylandii, which had been maintained at about 12-14 foot tall, in our garden. 30 foot of it, i dug the stumps out myself as we wanted to plant fruit trees.

i cut down 70 foot of leylandii, which had been maintained at about 12-14 foot tall, in our garden. 30 foot of it, i dug the stumps out myself as we wanted to plant fruit trees.

How long did that take you? Those goddamn trees should be banned from sale. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

How long did that take you? Those goddamn trees should be banned from sale. :mad:
    Yah great idea ban the trees because the owners can't look after them, that'll sort it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

whats the problem with leyandii tress ? have a neighbour who has them and ive never had a problem with them if any thing they give great privacy to us both .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How long did that take you?
    far too long. i would not recommend it necessarily for other people, i was just bloody minded enough to carry it off.
    would have been far easier if i'd been able to get a decent shredder into the back garden.

shotie wrote: »
    whats the problem with leyandii tress ?
    iirc, no-one actually knows how tall they can grow; they're a hybrid and the oldest known one still growing is about 150 foot tall and still growing. so if they're allowed to grow without being pruned, they can quickly become a very expensive problem to deal with.
    a german colleague was telling me that a nickname for them in germany is 'the lonely tree' because so many people use them to shut out the rest of the world.

on a different note, they're a featureless green wall when grown into a hedge, and as i wanted to cultivate a wildlife garden, they had to come out. in 70 foot of hedging, i found a single nest which looked like it was abandoned more than 5 years ago.

Yah great idea ban the trees because the owners can't look after them, that'll sort it alright.

They offer nothing to the garden as outlined above. Secondly, the pace at which these trees grow is phenomenal. The previous owners of my house were elderly and couldn't take care of them nor could they afford to get them cut. When I enquired myself I was quoted several hundred euro to get the poxy things cut back.

I did it myself, but it was a brutal laborious job.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I recently bought a house that is seven years old and that has at least 50* of these trees surrounding two sides of the property :(

Apparently, the trees were cut back four years ago but they are still over 30-40 feet tall at the moment and we've been quoted 2500 and 2700 just to get them cut back to about 20 feet tall.

I'd love to get rid of them entirely and replace them with something else but the cost of doing so will be prohibitive for now...

* there are at least 50, perhaps 60-70 of them. At the back end of the garden they are planted several rows thick and I haven't had enough time yet to do a proper assessment of their numbers myself. :(

Do they burn well if chopped and logged?

mine burn fine for me - best to leave them two seasons though.

Advertisement