Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin , diet and looking young

• 18-03-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    30 year old male, fairly unhealthy diet - sugar and fat, don’t drink. Anyway ran into an old friend, she is few years older and has plenty stress in her own life - yet she looks as young as the day I met her first ( 10 years ago ).

Basically can someone give me motivation, or re assure me that cleaning up my diet and engaging in exercise and over all better living it will result in an improved skin tone ( if that's the right word ? ), basically just make me look less old - I know I cant be 20 again but just something. Have some crease lines in forehead and look a little chubby and greasy face wise.

Just want to hear that exercise has visible benefits, and give me some confidence in chatting to girls.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Girls would be far more proactive when it comes to looks and taking care of skin etc. Makeup, moisturising are a lot of it.

No harm in improving diet, that's always a good step to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Well, according to this, the primary external source of skin aging is photoaging from UV rays from the sun.
    The primary environmental factor that causes human skin aging is UV irradiation from the sun. This sun-induced skin aging (photoaging), like chronological aging, is a cumulative process. However, unlike chronological aging, which depends on the passage of time per se, photoaging depends primarily on the degree of sun exposure and skin pigment. Individuals who have outdoor lifestyles, live in sunny climates, and are lightly pigmented will experience the greatest degree of photoaging.
    People may correct me if I am wrong but if the above is correct, prolonged sun exposure appears to influence skin aging even more than smoking.

So, if you have an outdoor lifestyle, use sunblock.

Genetics
    play a very substantial part in the aging process. Some people don't age as fast. Will Smith is black. He is also 45 and looks 30.

You cannot control genetic factors. However, you can influence extrinsic factors such as smoking, alcohol intake and poor nutrition.
    Timely protection including physical and chemical sunscreens, as well as avoiding exposure to intense UV irradiation, is most important. A network of antioxidants such as vitamins E and C, coenzyme Q10, alpha-lipoic acid, glutathione, and others can reduce signs of aging. Further anti-aging products are three generations of retinoids, among which the first generation is broadly accepted. A diet with lot of fruits and vegetables containing antioxidants is recommended as well as exercise two or three times a week.

Skin aging aside, people who are lean and fit tend to have a more youthful appearance and gait to someone who is overweight and/or does not exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

After excessive sun exposure, smoking is one of the biggest causes of premature skin aging. Hence why the kind of women who are sun goddesses at 19 sitting around the pool in Ibiza dragging on a cigarette look like someone's granny by the time they're 30.
    Skin aging aside, people who are lean and fit tend to have a more youthful appearance and gait to someone who is overweight and/or does not exercise.
    In my experience, there tends to be a switching point with this, it's weird. Between 16 and about 25, lean and fit people, men in particular, look far older beyond their years, closer to 25 or 30 than to 20. Whereas those a bit pudgier tend to have a more babyish appearance.

At some point after 25, those carrying a lot of extra weight begin to show the sign of aging - crow's feet, grey hairs, thinning hair - and what was once a baby face now becomes the face of someone's middle-aged Dad. It's quite incredible how quickly this happens. Whereas someone who is lean and fit might show similar aging around the face, it's offset by their overall healthy demeanour and they stay looking like they're in their early/mid 30's until they're 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

seamus wrote: »
    In my experience, there tends to be a switching point with this, it's weird. Between 16 and about 25, lean and fit people, men in particular, look far older beyond their years, closer to 25 or 30 than to 20. Whereas those a bit pudgier tend to have a more babyish appearance.

You may be on to something there.

Maybe it is that leaner, fitter people have a more ideal appearance?

If we make an assumption that 30 is the overall physical ideal for a man, then perhaps it is true to say that regardless of age, men who are lean and fit will look closer to thirty; appearing more mature when younger than 30 but appearing more youthful, when older than 30.

Just supposition really, on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi , OP here,
    Thanks for the replies, that baby face one leave me scared to be honest. Just feel like I'm stuck between not being 40+ and not 20's but yet looking old if that makes sense. Suppose a diet clean up, and re asses after a few months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Heisman

You've probably done too much damage by living with high cortisol for so long. And to be honest, you probably wouldn't stick to a diet and healthy living would you? You haven't done it before. It takes tremendous effort to beat aging for as long as you can, especially if you don't have the genetics for it. You've already got the bad forehead lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Heisman wrote: »
    You've probably done too much damage by living with high cortisol for so long. And to be honest, you probably wouldn't stick to a diet and healthy living would you? You haven't done it before. It takes tremendous effort to beat aging for as long as you can, especially if you don't have the genetics for it. You've already got the bad forehead lines.

Jesus. Harsh much?

Although your low post count coupled with your tone makes me think you're just trolling/having the craic here.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Jesus. Harsh much?

Although your low post count coupled with your tone makes me think you're just trolling/having the craic here.

what do you want me to say?

Ah don't worry mate. You can easily reverse aging and look 10 years younger. Just go on a strict diet and exercise. Your lines will go away and you'll look great in no time. Good luck mate, you can definitely beat biology, it's no bother at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Heisman, please read the charter before posting again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Heisman, please read the charter before posting again.

What makes you think I haven't read it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The tone of your posts. Don't question mod actions on thread. Please use the PM function.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

OP, speaking as a woman, you're worried over nothing. You should clean up your diet either way, but if it doesn't improve your skin quality, it's no big deal. I get the sense that men often project their feelings of desire onto women-- they want the youngest, best looking woman, so they assume women want the same, and it is simply not the case. If you want to improve your confidence with girls, exercise and diet can improve your mood and if we look our best we feel more confident, but other than that, your personality, social ability, and accomplishments will go much further than a smooth forehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Op the first thing you should do no matter what is improve your diet and loose weight even if this doesn't improve your skin it will have huge health benefits.

Then I would recommend that you get a good skin care routine to improve your skin and make sure you wear sun cream everyday. Its very hard to reverse aging and get rid of wrinkles however some prescription products such as retin a will help improve the appearance of wrinkles a lot.

Advertisement