Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eclipse of the Sun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

fizzypish wrote: »
    No harm in using your phone camera to view it.

This needs to be clarified! Do not look at the sun even through the camera.........the advice on this is all over the place!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wonder will the street lamps come on and the birds feeling tricked fall asleep in the trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No harm in using your phone camera to view it.

And how would you propose lining it up? As you are looking though the screen, you could inadvertently look directly. Am actually surprised you advise that without explaining more considering your comments on viewing it through a telescope.

I wonder will the street lamps come on and the birds feeling tricked fall asleep in the trees

It will certainly trick the birds anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Could you watch it through the video camera on your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

When I was a kid I looked at a noon sun through a pair of 7x50 Binocolors ,
    The searing heat and instant pain made me immediately drop them, I'd say it was for less then half a second but it was enough to let me know any longer and I would have permanently damaged my eyes.

Don't risk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jamesbere wrote: »

Probably need a dark lens to see anything I'd imagine.
    Sunglass lens over the camera lens might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sure, but you may f*ck up your sensor on your phone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    And how would you propose lining it up? As you are looking though the screen, you could inadvertently look directly. Am actually surprised you advise that without explaining more considering your comments on viewing it through a telescope.

Fine. Should have clarified. Easy tiger. Any digital camera and all phone cameras are as such. Que someone finding a phone with a lens to look through...

Someone asked a question on an open forum and I just threw up an answer to the best of my knowledge. I hereby issue a disclaimer to all boardsies. All comments by me should be taken with a pinch of salt as I have not taken the time to properly do research, run tests and analyses the results thus proving the comment worthy. I am a fraud and a charlatan. *Leaves room, head hanging low...*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Is this a sequel to Empire of the Sun where Christian Bale is starry eyed oul fella who is nostalgic about the good ol' days ?

Fine. Should have clarified. Easy tiger. Any digital camera and all phone cameras are as such. Que someone finding a phone with a lens to look through...

Someone asked a question on an open forum and I just threw up an answer to the best of my knowledge. I hereby issue a disclaimer to all boardsies. All comments by me should be taken with a pinch of salt as I have not taken the time to properly do research, run tests and analyses the results thus proving the comment worthy. I am a fraud and a charlatan. *Leaves room, head hanging low...*

Never trusted you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The phone comments are just silly. The sensor would be overloaded, and the screen wouldn't resolve any image. It wouldn't be dangerous. Just pointless.

There are plenty of safe ways to view tomorrow's eclipse that don't cost any money at all and won't do you any damage.

Google them.

I'm not attacking you, but it has been published all week, warning people about using their smart phone to line up shots, mainly in regards to selfies, so found it a little odd that you suggested it, with out explaining further, especially after your comments re viewing through a telescope.

And on that comment, i'll put this little arguement between our selves aside as well.

Wait for the 6.01 news and see it in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

the_monkey wrote: »
    Sure, but you may f*ck up your sensor on your phone ...

How do people think this?

Camera sensors work completely different to eyes and also cannot be damaged by light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

conorh91 wrote: »
    Enda do us a favour go stare at the sun and report back. Too early for this pointless bitchiness.

To be fair to Enda, he's making a valid point.

Don't look directly at the sun. Under no circumstances should anyone do this.

circadian wrote: »

Except at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do people think this?

Camera sensors work completely different to eyes and also cannot be damaged by light.

So it might be worth a shot so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when are the irish sending a man to the sun??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

But obviously…

I was asking about the resilience or sensitivity of the human eye, specifically the question of instant blindness, as a matter of interest. Nobody is advocating staring at the sun through a telescope.

It's no different to discussing mortality and the physics of high-speed car collisions. Morbid/ scientific curiosity. It doesn't mean you're encouraging dangerous behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So it might be worth a shot so

Well if you're just looking at the screen it will be fine but you'll most likely just get white out as it will be too bright.

That has no relevance to fact-based discussions on a forum where facts are often taken to be a matter of opinion, and posters don't like to be told that they're wrong. It's OK to be wrong about a lot of things, where the only damage likely as a result of the 'facts as a matter of opinion' mentality is that the poster looks a bit foolish to those who know the topic. This could be more serious though, for somebody reading the discussion, and might take a chance based on what they read.

That's why my post appeared snappy, and I don't apologize for it.

Here.

Tried and trusted methods, from those who really do know what they're talking about.

;)

https://www.ras.org.uk/images/solar_eclipse_leaflet.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

conorh91 wrote: »
    But obviously…

I was asking about the resilience or sensitivity of the human eye, specifically the question of instant blindness, as a matter of interest. Nobody is advocating staring at the sun through a telescope.

It's no different to discussing mortality and the physics of high-speed car collisions. Morbid/ scientific curiosity. It doesn't mean you're encouraging dangerous behaviour.

Have you ever tried using a magnifying glass to burn a piece of paper as a kid?

The magnifying glass is no more than a lens, binoculars/telescopes are the same albeit even more refined. Cooking the back of your retina's is not all that smart.

If people still want to take that risk to "see what happens" consider making a donation to NCBI.ie today while you can still see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Would a pair of sunglasses be safe to look? Is it at exactly 9:30? I always miss out on these things so I'm determined to see this eclipse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It begins at 8.24am in Dublin but the maximum eclipse will be at 9.29am with all activity over an hour later.

Cant wait, I finally get to see the dark side of the moon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It begins at 8.24am in Dublin but the maximum eclipse will be at 9.29am with all activity over an hour later.

Oh thanks for that. For someone who is so into space and the stars etc, I've never seen anything bar the ISS 2 years ago so I'm really excited :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is for the Eclipse of the Sun! It's Coming back around again! Huh! This is for the Eclipse of the Sun!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Oh thanks for that. For someone who is so into space and the stars etc, I've never seen anything bar the ISS 2 years ago so I'm really excited :D

Don't worry you won't see it .

Guaranteed cloud cover apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Muahahaha wrote: »

:confused:

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »

**** sake :( RTE news for footage it is then.

kneemos wrote: »

Depends on cloud density. A bit hazy = no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Would a pair of sunglasses be safe to look? Is it at exactly 9:30? I always miss out on these things so I'm determined to see this eclipse

No!! Sunglasses will not provide adequate protection for your eyesight as we will not have totality here in Ireland.

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    No!! Sunglasses will not provide adequate protection for your eyesight as we will not have totality here in Ireland.

Thabks. I'll do some googling. I rather like sight lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're determined to see it with a pair of sunglasses, you could be seeing the outline of the sun permanently.

Dr_Bill wrote: »

Even with totality, sun glasses will not provide adequate protection. On two counts, cant remember the name of the term right now, 'something' beads, or a diamond ring effect, where during totality, glimpses of the sun passes through the mountains on the moons, the second reason is when the sun starts to reappear the UV light from it will become intense again, causing damage regardless of the strength of the sunglasses.

The ONLY safe way I know of looking at it directly are special glasses supplied by some of the astronomy societies/groups. Even then I would be extremely cautious that you put them on before looking up, they do NOT come off untill you look down again, and be very cautious re damage or scratches, as any of these can let the damaging UV light through. Its just not worth permanently damaging you sight for the sake of a second or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

During the last eclipse 15 yrs ago I am pretty sure that some newspaper gave away free Eclipse glasses. Not 100% sure mind, but I did have a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Spunge wrote: »
    when does the sun block out the moon ?

Never. This is due to the Sun always being further away from the Earth than the moon. We are actually lucky to live in the time that we do when it comes to observing solar eclipses as the sun is 400 times bigger than the moon but also 400 times further away. That's why when the Moon moves in front of the Sun during a solar eclipse they match up perfectly as both appear the same size to the observer here on Earth. In thousands of years to come they will no longer match up perfectly as the moon is moving ever so slightly further away from the Earth so during a lunar transit of the moon across the Sun in a hundred thousand years from now for example, a small portion of the sun will still be visible as the moon passes.

During the last eclipse 5 yrs ago I am pretty sure that some newspaper gave away free Eclipse glasses. Not 100% sure mind, but I did have a pair.

Where was the one 5 years ago over the UK and Ireland? What was the coverage, dont remember it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Where was the one 5 years ago over the UK and Ireland? What was the coverage, dont remember it at all.

15, not 5. typo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I tried getting hold of eclipse shades everywhere in the past couple of days but it is just ridiculous how hard this turned out to be. I checked in specsavers, boots, easons, several pharmacies, i even called the Eye hospital - nothing. Stupid me not to order them online last week, but I would have guessed it was going to be easier than this, I can only imagine the queue outside the Eye hospital tomorrow, which is quite ridiculous as this could have been easily prevented by having shades on sale in points across the city.
    Got a good business idea for the next one in 2026! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

TripleAce wrote: »
    I tried getting hold of eclipse shades everywhere in the past couple of days but it is just ridiculous how hard this turned out to be. I checked in specsavers, boots, easons, several pharmacies, i even called the Eye hospital - nothing. Stupid me not to order them online last week, but I would have guessed it was going to be easier than this, I can only imagine the queue outside the Eye hospital tomorrow, which is quite ridiculous as this could have been easily prevented by having shades on sale in points across the city.
    Got a good business idea for the next one in 2026! :mad:

The Sky at Night magazine for this month has eclipse shades included.

15, not 5. typo

Thought as much.

:D

Remember thinking back in 1999 that 2015 was such a time to wait for one here again. Doesn't seem that long ago at all now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I cannot stress this enough.

Sun glasses are NOT adequate eye protection to view the solar eclipse
    fryup wrote: »
    when are the irish sending a man to the sun??

Tonight, when it's not hot :pac:

When I asked about sunglasses and someone said they're not safe..I got it the firstvtime. I've no protection so I'll just watch it on the news tomorrow evening

• Advertisement

When I asked about sunglasses and someone said they're not safe..I got it the firstvtime. I've no protection so I'll just watch it on the news tomorrow evening

Unfortunately, others will ask and will try. Willmost likely be projecting it onto white card my self, and trying to picture that.

Its not just about the images though, its the feeling as the showdow is cast and the feeling associated with that. Not going to spoil it by saying what you may experince, its just cant be quite put into words on an Internet Forum.

Unfortunately, others will ask and will try. Willmost likely be projecting it onto white card my self, and trying to picture that.

Its not just about the images though, its the feeling as the showdow is cast and the feeling associated with that. Not going to spoil it by saying what you may experince, its just cant be quite put into words on an Internet Forum.

It should be great. Ill be out And about at that time so I'll feel it at least. I'll be letting family and friends know that sunglasses won't protect them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The French department of education sent a circular round to all schools saying that students are not to be let out tomorrow between 9am and 10.30, and that curtains should be used if possible.

Nanny state gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

so I'll just watch it on the news tomorrow evening

A number of places will be streaming live coverage of the total eclipse. See http://www.solareclipse2015.org.uk/live-webcast/ or http://live.slooh.com/stadium/live/the-total-solar-eclipse-of-2015

Also, the BBC Stargazing Live team will be broadcasting totality from the Faroe Islands on BBC 2. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8 and http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-31906556

Lots of good info in the eclipse threads on both the Boards.ie Astronomy forum and Weather forum.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Astronomy Ireland have said on their fb that they have shades to sell today for 10 quid for non members if you can go into their HQ in dub to pick them up.

Address & contact info : Unit H4, Centrepoint, Rosemount Business Park
    Blanchardstown
    086 064 6555

• Advertisement
Advertisement