Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eclipse of the Sun

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

These glasses were 10 for 12 quid on amazon a few weeks ago. I'm kicking myself I didn't buy a rake of them and try and sell them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

jfSDAS wrote: »
    A number of places will be streaming live coverage of the total eclipse.

Also, the BBC Stargazing Live team will be broadcasting totality from the Faroe Islands on BBC 2.
    Lots of good info in the eclipse threads on both the Boards.ie Astronomy forum and Weather forum.

John

Perfect, I won't have to leave the office & look up to enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It should be great. Ill be out And about at that time so I'll feel it at least. I'll be letting family and friends know that sunglasses won't protect them

Best felt away from a town or city, so the sounds and lights associated with them dont disturb or distract. Somewhere where there is a little bit of nature, out in the open so that you can fully appreciate it.

Even the Phenix Park in the middle of Dublin if you cant escape to far from the noise would would be a good spot if the weather is kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Even with totality, sun glasses will not provide adequate protection. On two counts, cant remember the name of the term right now, 'something' beads, or a diamond ring effect, where during totality, glimpses of the sun passes through the mountains on the moons,

That'd be Bailey's Beads. The diamond ring effect happens immediately either side of totality, when the edge of the sun clears the disc of the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So tomorrow would be a good day to be captured by a long lost tribe of cannibals?

So tomorrow would be a good day to be captured by a long lost tribe of cannibals?

Or to be starting a vampire revolution, if you were a little further north. Either option good.

endacl wrote: »
    That'd be Bailey's Beads. The diamond ring effect happens immediately either side of totality, when the edge of the sun clears the disc of the moon.

As we'll only get about 95% totality, i dont think we'll experience that will we?

As we'll only get about 95% totality, i dont think we'll experience that will we?

No. That's the money shot. We get a fistful of change.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

No, we won't see Baily's Beads unfortunately with a standard 1x view through eclipse shades, etc but I'm wondering if anyone might spot them in a suitably filtered telescope. I had a pair of Binomites (10x25mm binoculars with built-in solar filters, produced by Coronado) for the 2012 annular in N. California and distinctly saw the Beads just as the trailing edge of the Moon slid fully on to the solar disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, we won't see Baily's Beads unfortunately with a standard 1x view through eclipse shades, etc but I'm wondering if anyone might spot them in a suitably filtered telescope. I had a pair of Binomites (10x25mm binoculars with built-in solar filters, produced by Coronado) for the 2012 annular in N. California and distinctly saw the Beads just as the trailing edge of the Moon slid fully on to the solar disk.

The last line of that reads like something from fifty shades of sh1te gray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AFAIK you won't see them no matter how powerful your telescope as there is no 100% totality from here so therefore no Baily's beads or ring effect.

You 'd have be in the North Atlantic for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

So what I have got from this thread is.... i should not just stare up at the sun. ...... ok ...can I use sunglasses?

What can I use or get before tomorrow??

So what I have got from this thread is.... i should not just stare up at the sun. ...... ok ...can I use sunglasses?

You got that from the thread, but didn't get the answer to your question??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Read the thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=38_114

Shade 14 would be best but 13 might be ok. I used to use these when I was a kid to look at the sun.

(Subject to approval by someone who knows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Best and easiest quick fix is a black bucket full of water {or indeed any water in a black container}. You can get a nice clear mirrored view, without permanently destroying your eyeballs or your camera's/phone sensor.

I'll be selling a few $99 salad colanders also, as they can be operated as stereoscopic pinhole cameras, (providing the holes are very very small to reduce the quantity of light from reaching retina)

* If your bucket/container isn't black, pop in a bin liner first.

Read the thread again.
    Just give me the jist of it.

Just give me the jist of it.

Take two sheet of paper. Poke a pin through one of them.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=38_114

Shade 14 would be best but 13 might be ok. I used to use these when I was a kid to look at the sun.

(Subject to approval by someone who knows)

Anything above 14. So, 15 or higher.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So what I have got from this thread is.... i should not just stare up at the sun. ...... ok ...can I use sunglasses

No, no, no. They do nothing.

See here: http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/eclipse-tips-safety.html

Welder's goggles
    I may actually be able to get a pair of those....hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Sun.

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Spunge wrote: »
    when does the sun block out the moon ?

Haha... You'd need factor 50,000 if this was ever to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Last one happened when I was 2 so excited for this! Have never seen one before!

Feel like it's a sign as I turn 18 tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Going to be on a flight while its happening so hope I get a good perspective from that altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Kat97 wrote: »
    Last one happened when I was 2 so excited for this! Have never seen one before!

Feel like it's a sign as I turn 18 tomorrow ;)

Looks like we share a birthday....but I'm turning 30.....so in conclusion fcuk you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

iDave wrote: »
    Looks like we share a birthday....but I'm turning 30.....so in conclusion fcuk you! :pac:

Happy birthday for tomorrow too :pac:

Do not wear sun glasses to view this.

DO NOT WEAR SUN GLASSES TO VIEW THIS!

DO NOT WEAR SUN GLASSES TO VIEW THIS!!

By all means, where your sun glasses if its a bright day, and you are setting up your pin hole cameras, or projections, but for god sake, and the sake of your sight.

Do. Not. Wear. Sun Glasses. To. View. This!

By all means, where your sun glasses if its a bright day, and you are setting up your pin hole cameras, or projections, but for god sake, and the sake of your sight.

Someone will wear them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The local school aren't letting any kids out tomorrow morning for the eclipse for fear a child will damage their eyesight and the school would get sued. Sad but true.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The local school aren't letting any kids out tomorrow morning for the eclipse for fear a child will damage their eyesight and the school would get sued. Sad but true.

As a parent its a good idea.

I'll give my wife a pair of glasses so junior can see it before school

I wonna see the angels man.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This coming Friday morning, if the weather cooperates, Boardsies will be able to see a partial eclipse of the sun. A total eclipse will be visible from the Faroe Islands and Svalbard up in the Arctic.

I'll be looking out for this eclipse. Remember never to look into the sun directly as it can damage your vision.

Regardless of whether or not it's cloudy we'll still get the best part of the eclipse which is the whole getting dark part. How cares abou' some wannabe sun pretending to be a crested moon like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Any chance a mod could put a sticky or note about this on the OP thread with advice about not looking into the sun?

'Star Gazing Live' now on BBC2, covering tomorrows eclipse, including how to view safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Don't stare at the sun it will leave you with maths superpowers

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Is it somehow extra, extra dangerous to look at the sun when there's an eclipse or something?

I'm just reading the leaflet posted earlier that says:
    "You only need to look at
    the Sun for a few seconds for your eyes to
    become permanently damaged."

Sure haven't we all looked at the sun at some point and not gone blind? Lying out on a sunny day or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What was that film where everyone looks at the sun and goes blind and are then eaten by giant plants?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just dusted off my binoculars.

DubVelo wrote: »
    Is it somehow extra, extra dangerous to look at the sun when there's an eclipse or something?

I'm just reading the leaflet posted earlier that says:
    "You only need to look at
    the Sun for a few seconds for your eyes to
    become permanently damaged."

Sure haven't we all looked at the sun at some point and not gone blind? Lying out on a sunny day or whatever?

Seriously!? Looked directly at it?

Read some of the thread again about UV light and your retinas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If skies are clear enough to see the sun, I'll get my telescope out put on the solar filter and enjoy.
    Otherwise a big disappointment.
    Should get darker and cooler and maybe the birds will go quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How dark should it get? Right now being 100% and midday being 0% dark

RobertKK wrote: »
    If skies are clear enough to see the sun, I'll get my telescope out put on the solar filter and enjoy.
    Otherwise a big disappointment.
    Should get darker and cooler and maybe the birds will go quiet.

Forecast is pretty grim at the moment. Hopefully there'll be a few breaks in the cloud.

Duller than usual but not really dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Seriously!? Looked directly at it?

Read some of the thread again about UV light and your retinas.

A bit. :o

I'm older and wiser now obviously, I'm not advocating it!

Street lights might come on if it's cloudy,I heard someone say on the radio I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What was that film where everyone looks at the sun and goes blind and are then eaten by giant plants?

It was a meteorite shower that they looked at not the sun. It was "The Day of the Triffids" - it warned me and I avoid all these solar events as a result.

Watch this and then the eclipse - if you dare. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Surprised FG haven't dreamt up an eclipse tax

Advertisement