Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrading - but to which bike?

• 18-03-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I think time has come to upgrade from the CBR.

I would like to make the jump to 1000cc league, however I am unsure what to go for.

I am only considering sports bikes.

Ultimately I want the S1000RR (09-10 model) however a couple of things are holding me back:

1) It is widely known as the best sportsbike available of that year so I am a bit hesitant about making such a big leap from the lil old CBR 600 F Sport (which lets be honest, is a semi-sportsbike) to this full on beast of a machine as I feel that maybe I am missing out on the “inbetween” bikes such as the K5/older R1. Part of me is also thinking maybe I shouldn't make quite such a big leap to the 1000cc class and go for middle of the road bike in the 750cc region first, which would be the GSXR-750. As I started off on a 600 I feel that I kinda missed out on the working my way up the CC ladder…

2) At the back of my mind I am also conscious of the fact I have never laid down any of my bikes yet (*touch wood*) and as the saying goes it’s not a matter of if…although I have been riding for about 5 years at this stage so I am not a complete novice. But I would be absolutely devastated to damage a bike like the S1000RR due to a stupid/naïve mistake.

3) And lastly; the price. €10k is a lot of money to spend on a motorbike….but if it is worth it then so be it.:o

As a result I would like a bit of information on the other bikes in this category.

2007 R1 – I hear they are lacking a bit in the mid-range with most of its power at the high end of the rev range which I am not too happy about. I would like to have a bit of grunt around the mid-range. Would a power commander improve this? Although I do love its looks…

2005 GSXR-1000 – apparently the S1000RR was built based on its chassis. Some call it a legendary bike, the last of the “real” bikes before all the emission regulations came into effect crippling the newer bikes and all the electronic gadgetery that comes with them.

ZX-10R – haven’t really thought about them that much, thats not to say I'd rule them out, I just don't know much about them - an aggressive track orientated bike I think? I feel a bit indifferent about these bikes to be honest unless someone on here can convince me otherwise.

Fireblade – really not that interested in the Honda I’m afraid. I would like to move away from them.

I should also mention the bike will be used for regular weekend blasts, the odd commute and a possible trek of 130 miles home every couple of weeks or so.

For those reasons I don’t think the likes of a RSV-1000 Factory R, which I’ve also considered, would be appropriate. Although I love the sound of them particularly with Akrapovic cans. Maybe as a second bike down the road sometime…:pac:

Not sure what i want really. Just throwing it out there. One thing I am sure about though is I want to change from the CBR6 but stick to sportsbikes.

Would love some options/advice on any of the above.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think the BMW is too big a jump at all. If it's the bike you want and you have the money, go for it. Worried about dropping it? Get crash bungs!
    Getting something you're not fully gone on is a bad idea, you spend the whole time regretting it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

I have things I would like to say on this. A few years into my biking career I changed from a gsxr 400 to an fzr 1000 exup. It was a big jump at the time and I regret it sometimes that I missed out on a lot of bikes in between that would have scratched the itch in there own way. On another point just remember that you do not have to turn the throttle all the way around it works in the middle too so if you really feel like it go for it. Dont think that if you drop a bike once its all over, you could do it again the next day so dont sit around waiting to get it over with. Whatever you do enjoy it and good luck with your choice.

Advertisement