Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English study tips

• 18-03-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

how to study for leaving cert higher English?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

When writing make sure every sentence serves the purpose of the question.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Thats a hard one. Well I did Pass level for junior cert. Then tried higher for LC, got a C3 in the mock and a B2 in Hl the real thing, and honest it was all down to practice. After the mocks i started to write essay, and yes it takes a while but you need to do it. Then I gave them to my teacher to correct and took on bored any advice she had for me and applied it to the next question. I also started to read alot more in 5th and 6th year and that helped with my story writing.
    My writing was not all this fancy stuff you see some poeple do with big words but it was clear and concise and sticked to answering the question at hand. No waffle, and its hard not to get lost in your writing but just keep in mind the question all the time.
    My teacher also said reading newspapers and stuff helped but I never did that so I dont know but it wouldnt be any hard just to look at the irish times on the interenet from time to time and pay attention to the types of writing they use and how.
    For poetry dont be afraid to form your own ideas and flesh them out well, you need to be able to get your idea/opinion across on the page. I used all the stuff the book gives but I also gave my own opinions and I think examiners appreciate that. Put your opinions in your practice answers though and get them corrected by your teacher. Sometimes my opinions were total crap and waffle :p so make sure the teacher thinks your idea/opinions are well written and not just pure crap.
    Know your (corrected) ideas well for the exam and the main themes, technics etc.. used. The poetry questions evolve around this all the time in different shapes and forms so its a no brainer knowing them. I wasnt the type of person to learn off specific essay and stuff. Just know the idea of the poems and technics well and form the answer around them.
    Anyways theres my 2cents, take it or leave it. And I wish you the best in your studys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 NMG97

Thats a hard one. Well I did Pass level for junior cert. Then tried higher for LC, got a C3 in the mock and a B2 in Hl the real thing, and honest it was all down to practice. After the mocks i started to write essay, and yes it takes a while but you need to do it. Then I gave them to my teacher to correct and took on bored any advice she had for me and applied it to the next question. I also started to read alot more in 5th and 6th year and that helped with my story writing.
    My writing was not all this fancy stuff you see some poeple do with big words but it was clear and concise and sticked to answering the question at hand. No waffle, and its hard not to get lost in your writing but just keep in mind the question all the time.
    My teacher also said reading newspapers and stuff helped but I never did that so I dont know but it wouldnt be any hard just to look at the irish times on the interenet from time to time and pay attention to the types of writing they use and how.
    For poetry dont be afraid to form your own ideas and flesh them out well, you need to be able to get your idea/opinion across on the page. I used all the stuff the book gives but I also gave my own opinions and I think examiners appreciate that. Put your opinions in your practice answers though and get them corrected by your teacher. Sometimes my opinions were total crap and waffle :p so make sure the teacher thinks your idea/opinions are well written and not just pure crap.
    Know your (corrected) ideas well for the exam and the main themes, technics etc.. used. The poetry questions evolve around this all the time in different shapes and forms so its a no brainer knowing them. I wasnt the type of person to learn off specific essay and stuff. Just know the idea of the poems and technics well and form the answer around them.
    Anyways theres my 2cents, take it or leave it. And I wish you the best in your studys.
    Thanks for the response

Advertisement