Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has suddenly started weeing in house

• 18-03-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Our dog is a lovely rescue Collie. We have her for 4 years and she is totally house trained. In the last few days she has started weeing in the house about twice a day. She is the type of dog who goes in and out to the garden a lot and this is very unusual for her. Would anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? I would appreciate any insights!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Vet check if it were me. Could be a UTI (Urinary tract infection). Seeing as it's out of the ordinary and has happened a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Bring her to the vet, could be a uti but vet visit only way to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

toadfly wrote: »
    Bring her to the vet, could be a uti but vet visit only way to know.

Snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

my dog did the same one night..very uncharacteristic.
    vet said he had blood poisoning..but he was very whingey and stuff.

does your dog seem in pain? or is it happy enough? does it realise it's peeing or is it just walking around and leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Blue Iris

Thanks for all the suggestions. She doesn't seem to be in pain but we have found a few wet patches around the sitting room and hall yesterday and today. One of them was a few individual drops going from the hall into the sitting room. I haven't seen her actually doing it, have just found the evidence! Will definitely bring her to the vet tomorrow for a check up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Blue Iris wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. She doesn't seem to be in pain but we have found a few wet patches around the sitting room and hall yesterday and today. One of them was a few individual drops going from the hall into the sitting room. I haven't seen her actually doing it, have just found the evidence! Will definitely bring her to the vet tomorrow for a check up.

Dogs are excellent at hiding pain or discomfort, which lulls a lot of owners into a false sense of security when there's a sudden change in behaviour. A sudden change in toileting habits is almost always due to an underlying medical cause, so it's good that you're off to the vet tomorrow... let us know how you get on!

Thanks DBB, will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

See if you can get a urine sample for the vet, I have to follow my small dog around with a sterilized plastic container or sterilized jar, should be easier with a larger bitch, just put it under mid pee.
    It can help diagnose infection or in my bitches case stones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sparrowphantom

Agree with other posters, get dog checked out asap for Urinary Tract Infection. Exact thing happened to my bitch, I brought her to Vet, and it turned out to be UTI. Like with humans, always rule out the possible and you're left with the probable. (From a human that also suffers from recurrent UTI's (not fun).

I just wanted to give you an update and thank you all for the advice. Our Collie is back to normal now and the infection has cleared up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement