Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Pixels'

• 18-03-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭

Have searched and can't find thread about this. Looks execrable. 'Wreck It Ralph' did it with a helluva lot of charm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have searched and can't find thread about this. Looks execrable. 'Wreck It Ralph' did it with a helluva lot of charm.

Never seen execrable used before. :D

I was half on board. Then I saw Adam Sandler....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im sure there was another thread on this, though it mayve been just posts in another flim when some of us went off on a tangent.

i cant wait.

of course its gonna be shyte, but i reckon itll be entertaining shyte.

TBH the one thing that bothers me is i get a fair stank of micheal bay off that trailer. i hope to god its doing its own thing and not going to go down the "battleship" road.

the mini movie it was based on looked lovely so im still holding out hope this could be fun.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Based on this short, which is nicely done (and thankfully Adam Sandler and Kevin James free, "ohhh yeeaahhh")

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

So its basically that episode of futurama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It looks absolutely terrible....but I'd still be looking forward to it as a popcorn film on a quiet afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand it's Adam Sandler and Kevin James.

But on the other:

o-PETER-DINKLAGE-MULLET-570.jpg?7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

He looks like Kurt Russell in the wrong aspect ratio holding a BFG.

Fucking awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sandler, the king of queens and tyrion fighting giant pacmen. Looks brilliant.

I don't get the hate the trailer is inspiring. Sure one paper it's hardly the most enticing film of the year and the trailer may not be jaw dropping but it looks like the kind of harmless fun that is perfect for a lazy summer night. I don't see myself rushing out to see the film but when I've a few hours to kill some evening I'll head to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ricero wrote: »
    Sandler, the king of queens and tyrion fighting giant pacmen. Looks brilliant.

And Olaf :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Well the critics seem to like it!

tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nrws7pGnje1tka6elo4_540.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

e_e wrote: »
    Well the critics seem to like it!

The reaction to Pixels is probably more entertaining than the movie itself! :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I saw the poster for this and was intrigued, then I saw Adam Sandler in the trailer and I frowned.

I'm no snob when it comes to Sandler (and Kevin james), have enjoyed plenty of his films but he hasn't made a remotely watchable one in years. I'm still willing to give this a shot though, the rest of the cast is decent enough and I'd by lying if I said the premise doesn't appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ...and I'd by lying if I said the premise doesn't appeal to me.

The premise appealed to me when they did it in Futurama

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Links234 wrote: »
    The premise appealed to me when they did it in Futurama

I don't think I seen that episode :(

14% on RottenTomatoes .. Pretty predictable, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Reading critics slam a new Adam Sandler film is becoming as redundant as recent Adam Sandler films. "He made this film to pay for a vacation for him and his pals", "This NEW Adam Sandler film is not as good as that OLD Adam Sandler film that came out 20 years ago", and so on, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Sandler has all this coming to him. He is a complete fraud I hope this bombs tbh but for some reason his movies tend to do well financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Adam Sandler is to America what Brendan O'Carroll is to Ireland. Both should have changed careers a long time ago. And to think, films like a sequel to the Dredd movie can't be made, but Sandler can continue to make redundant garbage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

this is getting such bad reviews, I actually want to see it simply so I have a legitimate reason to be offended by its destruction of my past times. I don't want to bitch about it based on second hand review, I kinda want to be able to hate it because I've seen how bad it is.

• Advertisement

this is getting such bad reviews, I actually want to see it simply so I have a legitimate reason to be offended by its destruction of my past times. I don't want to bitch about it based on second hand review, I kinda want to be able to hate it because I've seen how bad it is.

I really like when Adam Sandler plays against type, Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me are great and as such I do have a little time for him. His comedic endeavors are generally on the lower scale of quality but bar Jack and Jill and Grown Ups, he's never really been in anything as truly awful as the critics make out. I think that he's an easy target and a lot of critics go into his films with their review already written. Pixels for all intents and purposes looks like something of a dumb fun mess which is perfect for those nights when you've had a crappy day and just want to kill an hour or two. A few people I know have seen the film and they all agree that while it's not a great film it's nowhere near as bad as some are claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Still, the movie might do well in the Chinese market, since they removed a shot that might have caused offence there: the Great Wall of China getting a hole blasted in it. No qualms about blowing up the Taj Mahal or the Washington Monument, though.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

well just back from this and i thought it was great craic. the kids around me seemed to love it (particularly Q bert for some reason)

solid 6.5 outta 10.

this is two weeks in a row now where a film is meant to be god awfull and turns out to be actually alright. whether thats affected my assement of it (i.e going in expecting rubbish and being more forgiving) i dont know but there ya go.

its you bog standard adam sandler film with flashy effects where adam sandler does what adam sandler does. if you like him youll like this. if you dont you wont.

as a 42yr old i got all the references , both film and video game, and got a laugh out of peter dinklidge channeling "macho man randy savage" .

its dumb as hell and IMO will work much better as a DVD at home with a few beers for adults , but its still a perfectly servicable popcorn chomper ya can drag your 5 to 10yr old kids to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

its you bog standard adam sandler film with flashy effects where adam sandler does what adam sandler does.

So, just as bad as the reviews say it is, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Reading critics slam a new Adam Sandler film is becoming as redundant as recent Adam Sandler films. "He made this film to pay for a vacation for him and his pals", "This NEW Adam Sandler film is not as good as that OLD Adam Sandler film that came out 20 years ago", and so on, etc.
    Sandler openly admitted this in an interview recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

ps3lover wrote: »
    Sandler openly admitted this in an interview recently.
    Yes, I am aware of that. And nobody will ever forget that fact, because it keeps being referenced when critics review his films. It gets boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Man that really sucked. I'm not even sure if I'm disappointed or not.

its dumb as hell and IMO will work much better as a DVD at home with a few beers for adults , but its still a perfectly servicable popcorn chomper ya can drag your 5 to 10yr old kids to.
    That's damning with faint praise there. Reminds me of the critic who came out of Fantastic Four and said "The sour patch kids I ate were terrific!" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

*adjusts nerd glasses* technically this should be called Voxels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was a dumb comedy that was entertaining, It was not too bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have to say it was a bit of harmless fun. I enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It was a dumb comedy that was entertaining, It was not too bad at all.

It is not going to win an Oscar, but it's a perfectly serviceable film, and I quite enjoyed it. Pure Nerd fantasy. Enjoyable at that.

Putting this down is like kicking a puppy, as I think is referenced in the film. If not it should be. Purely for self awarness.

Would watch again, for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Took the kid to see it today. The opening scenes (in 3D) were great so my expectations were building, but it didn't live up to that. Still though, enjoyable and a fun premise. Certainly not a classic or anything but more enjoyable for me than Ant-Man and Minion this summer. It's terra firma subplot is clearly lifted from the King of Kong documentary. Watch that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Went to see this on my birthday last week, since twas out on the same day :), I thought it was a solid alright tbh!

Twas funny, great effects esp in 3D, and loved the 80s clips etc - nostalgia FTW :D

Would watch it again maybe in the cinema but probably would get the dvd when it comes out, mostly as tis something that hasnt really been done before - imho anyway - and they actually didnt ruin the fecking thing :)

Some jokes etc probably could have been left out of the trailer, Pacman etc, would have made it funnier tbh, but still very well done!

Whatever anyone has to say on this movie, tis still better than Fantastic Four imho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it. Sorry.

I think that general hatred towards Sandler prejudices this movie for a lot of people before they even set foot in the cinema.

Go see it with some kids (I brought my niece and nephew) and enjoy it for what it is - a light summer blockbuster with decent action scenes for the kids, and nostalgia (+ Michelle Monaghan) for the adults.

Fair play to Dinklage too - he had fun with it. After years of GoT, it was nice to see a lighter side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler at all, but this one was actually quite entertaining. I like it.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Seen this this evening and can't understand the hate at all :confused:

It's fun and good fun at that. Seems to me the critics had the knives out for this from the get go and it snowballed and the movie snobs tend to follow, what with non-nonconformity not exactly being their forte and all that.

3D is a must though as would say 2D would take the edge off it slightly. Still surprised at the vitriol this received. Would defiantly recommend seeing, especially if you have kids and none of you have seen the trailer (as just watched it and as ever four or five highpoints are spoiled by it to say the least). Decent soundtrack. Some jokes for the adults. With a tighter and somewhat more meatier script and this could quite easily have been a gem, but as it stands, it's a perfectly respectable 90 mins of mindless entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

3D is a must though as would say 2D would take the edge off it slightly.

They're only showing it in 2D in IMC in Athlone. Must check, where it's shown in 3D and watch it again. Defo was entertaining.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

it's a perfectly respectable 90 mins of mindless entertainment.

You were saying you don't understand all the hate and vitriol, but this explains it perfectly.

You were saying you don't understand all the hate and vitriol, but this explains it perfectly.

Eh, that would only be true if it was being billed as something else, but it clearly wasn't. This is the problem. It's a film for kids and adults are upset because it isn't up to par with superhero films of recent time. Come on. The criticism this film has received is almost entertainment in and of itself. It's not a Terrence Malick film for crying out loud. I know even films for kids should reach a certain standard, sure I just ripped Fantastic Four apart myself. Should never have been distributed in cinemas I feel it was that bad but this movie is nowhere near as poor as many critics would have us believe. It's a great little fun film with lots of moments to entertain the age group in which it is aimed at and along the way has many throw back jokes for the adults.

Minis tearing around New York fighting Pac Man? Come on. What's not to love. No way this picture is deserving of the vitriol that has been directed at it.

• Advertisement

lads just out of interests is there some connection between IMC and the studio that made this as theyre STILL puting on 7 shows of this a day.

i enjoyed it but i didnt think it'd still have that number of shows on near three weeks out what with the bashing its getting.

can it actually just be doing quite well and critics be damned ?

i ask cause ive seen em dump pictures down to one show at midnight quick sharp before in the past. hell some disappeard after a week.

can it actually just be doing quite well and critics be damned ?

Absolutely and there have been a few nods to that last week..

'Pixels' leads UK box office with $4.2m debut
    Pixels tops the UK box office thanks to four extra days of previews
    Adam Sandler defies terrible reviews again as Pixels tops the UK box office

That's not to say the critics here didn't get their pound of flesh, as I personally think they did, as the movie should done much better than it has done imo. Some of the criticism has been absurd. Guardian even calling the film 'sexist'. Course what don't they call sexist. The reviews saying the movie is just a dumb 80s nostalgia trip make me laugh as that's what it was supposed to be. It wasn't trying to be Star Wars. Been a two screenings now each one kids loved it and you could feel the energy level that it had been highly enjoyed by both kids and adults alike. Good fun movie critiqued as if it purported to be something which it never did. It's a shame as I'd say many avoided going to see that would have more than enjoyed it. Yet another reason, if ever one was needed, that people shouldn't really listen all that much to critics.

Some of the criticism has been absurd. Guardian even calling the film 'sexist'.
    Seems perfectly reasonable given descriptions of the characters I've seen/read. Often find the outrage about people criticizing films on this level a lot more absurd than the critics themselves tbh. Hell I'd say it's even more egregious that it happens in the case of a film aimed at children here.

Hell the movie has yet to even make its budget back in America, just because a film tops the chart doesn't make it some resounding success that 100% of cinemagoers love. Even the Cinemascore for it is middling, and keep in mind that they are counted from the fans actually going to see it on opening night.

e_e wrote: »
    Seems perfectly reasonable given descriptions of the characters I've seen/read. Often find the outrage about people criticizing films on this level a lot more absurd than the critics themselves tbh. Hell I'd say it's even more egregious that it happens in the case of a film aimed at children here.

There's a difference between characters being sexist and a film being labelled as such.

But sure if you'd like to point out some aspects of the either which you feel justify the accusations of 'sexist' - be interested to read them.

You can start here I suppose.

You mean all the men in the film are written as sexists on purpose as some sort of satire? Interesting choice for a Summer blockbuster aimed at kids. :pac:

I'll let you know my own response though whenever I see Pixels, can't say it's a high priority watch right now but if it shows up in my local library a year down the line I'll give it a shot.

Advertisement