Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City very run down

Options
  • 18-03-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Was up for parade yesterday and got red line luas. I was shocked to see so many boarded up shops from Smithfield to Jervis.place looks terrible.what can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Invest and open them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Place should be levelled from Smithfield to Jervis I think and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

fire_man wrote: »

You could certainly build something special if you had the money to do it. Imagine being able to redesign an area like that would be a lot of architects dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Rents are way too high. Greedy f*cking landlords who want to squeeze every last shilling out of anyone wanting to set up shop. The result? Boarded up building after building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Rents are way too high. Greedy f*cking landlords who want to squeeze every last shilling out of anyone wanting to set up shop. The result? Boarded up building after building.

Idiotic post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I haven't lived in Dublin for several years, bit was at a wedding in Dublin last Friday, admittedly not near Smithfield, and I thought that the city was buzzing and looked nicer than it has done in at least 5 years. There is a confidence now which had been lacking for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Its the Rates that kill business and get nothing for them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Really ? Why do you say that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You must have not lived in Dublin in the 1990s. It was an absolute **** whole. I remember Smithfield was just abandoned ware houses and a few fruit sellers. There was literally nothing there. Most of capel street was either sex shops or unoccupied. Dublin city has never looked better in my opinion.

There is still plenty of unoccupied shops as developers of new apartment's tended to put shop on the ground floor. But they were just never let. Nearly everyone I know living in a semi-modern city apartment has unoccupied shops on the ground floor. They aren't unoccupied due to rates or rents. But due to the developers either going bust or not letting them due to other issues.

Places like phisboro are run down because a few families own most of the land/property. They aren't bothered redeveloping it and it's understandable. If it was Brooklyn, a run down neighbourhood is flatten and replaced with 8-15 storeys of modern apartments/ cafes /shops. But in Dublin the Max you will get is probably 3/4. Anything more and its over development and taisce is complaining about the skyline being ruined.

For Dublin to thrive we need to accept that 8 storeys is perfectly fine and 15 storeys in some areas shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

garhjw wrote: »
    Idiotic post

:rolleyes: Yeah ok my son. Fantastic contribution to the thread. You obviously came top of your class. Keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

:rolleyes: Yeah ok my son. Fantastic contribution to the thread. You obviously came top of your class. Keep it up!

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bit surprised by this......there are a few derelict sites, but I am struggling to think of where the boarded up shops are?

You may well be thinking of the Fruit Markets, which open very early in the morning and close at 10am or 11am........but that's just closed, not boarded up.

Other than that......Capel St has loads of nice cafes, the area around Jervis is very busy?

There is an issue with derelict sites, there are a number of them around the city, presumably in a Nama limbo - I don't know. The most notable is on O'Connell St, and when I think about it there are more on the Northside than Southside.

However, that's to be expected, we've just come through a massive recession. As another poster said.....if you think this is bad, you should have seen the '80s.

Tell me this. When you go into work in the morning, do you say to your boss - "you don't need to pay me so much, you're giving me way too much money".

Really don't see what the issue is with Landlords earning as much as they can from assets that they own. Nobody else does any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/plans-for-historic-dublin-produce-market-finalised-1.2098817

This might be the much needed critical mass for Smithfield - would be nice to see other businesses attracted in if this flies. I'm thinking along the lines of borough market in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/plans-for-historic-dublin-produce-market-finalised-1.2098817

This might be the much needed critical mass for Smithfield - would be nice to see other businesses attracted in if this flies. I'm thinking along the lines of borough market in London.

Really excited by this. Really hope it doesn't take too long to happen I have a business in the area and it will hopefully bring a lot of people to the area. What I am looking forward to just as much is seeing what this "multi-use games area" actually is! Was getting a pin ball machine and a board of monopoly what swung it?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Tell me this. When you go into work in the morning, do you say to your boss - "you don't need to pay me so much, you're giving me way too much money".

Really don't see what the issue is with Landlords earning as much as they can from assets that they own. Nobody else does any different.

of course not. we need the money to pay for huge rents.

but i dont understand the idea of premises been left vacant for years on end, Shirley it's better to have something like lower rent on shorter leases until things improve? isnt some money coming in better then no money?

you see places like the docklands mall. beautiful place, but almost no shops occupied due to the high rents? how does that benefit anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Skatedude wrote: »
    you see places like the docklands mall. beautiful place, but almost no shops occupied due to the high rents? how does that benefit anyone?

It's not high rents. It's lack of adequate footfall that puts off renters

Synode wrote: »

A lot of those tenants had rent free / very favorable rents when the DDDA ran it. There are plans afoot to change CHQ which I think will be more positive in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

+1.

The answer to most of the problems in the city center is higher density living, and consequently, higher footfall for local business. Culturally, however, we still have an aversion to this..possibly because most of us still have a rural mindset.

So we'll continue to complain about inefficiencies of low density living whilst declaring a fundamental part of who we are will be lost with high density living.

Its all very Irish really.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The place is RAMMED at lunch times - but only lunch times. They need to build critical mass of people going in their at other times but when the only other shops are the wine shop and Copeland that won't happen.

Need to incentivise a mix of shops that do get people going to them - not CPW and Fallon & Byrne low volume businesses.

Otherwise - give up and call it a food court, adjust opening hours and letting policies, get better seating etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're trying to turn it into a tech startup hub apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

They're trying to turn it into a tech startup hub apparently

Any more info on this?

Tristram wrote: »
    Any more info on this?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dogpatch-labs-move-to-chq-brings-new-business-model-1.2124623

Dogpatch already there. There's plans to develop the retail offering as well as putting a new diaspora centre / museum and additional restaurants in the vaults.

I think also there was a complete misunderstanding of the clientele. When it opened, a bunch of high end clothes retailers took shops there. Most people working in the IFSC are on basic enough wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Pity that Smithfield never really took off, but it has great potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Was up for parade yesterday and got red line luas. I was shocked to see so many boarded up shops from Smithfield to Jervis.place looks terrible.what can be done?

Been like that for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

garhjw wrote: »
    Idiotic post

Rents (and rates) are not too high? So, it's lazy business people then?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Roguery wrote: »
    Pity that Smithfield never really took off, but it has great potential.

I think Smithfield's doing fine actually. Six or seven years ago I wouldn't have said so, but since then the Lighthouse has opened up, Generator hostel moved in, there's a few more bars and cafe's after opening up and they finished off the ends of the squares. There's a lot of life in the place, and Grangegorman is bringing increasing amounts of students into the area - it's doing well.

I think a lot of the perceived failings of Smithfield, (i.e. it's emptiness and low retail vacancy) was due to lack of a clear plan as to how Smithfield was to function. The architects and planners who worked on it in the mid-nineties saw it as functioning as a Dublin version of the Piazza Navrona, which in retrospect was a naive expectation. It was never going to be rammed with people day and night. Too much retail was provided for what was a fairly low-density area which wasn't established as either a residential or shopping area, so it was always going to look windswept and empty.

The best streets and districts are the product of cumulative change, and people shouldn't have expected an overnight transformation of Smithfield to a happening urban spot. But it's developed at its own speed over the past decade or so. It's one of the few public open spaces in the city where there's a bit of space and respite from the traffic. I like sitting at the northern end on Summer evenings, when there's not much noise from traffic, watching people crossing from side to side, clip-clopping on the cobbles. Great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Rents (and rates) are not too high? So, it's lazy business people then?

Its simply there is too many cafes, bars and restaurants in the area. If you go to places like Germany. You will be shocked to discover how few bars, cafes and restaurants you found in the an area an equal size of Smithfield. Also the fact it costs 100k for a license to open a bar here alone, would put someone off opening a bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The place which I believe has a bad reputation is in fact Moore Street. Not the sort of place you walk down on a cold damp night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement