Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City very run down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

hfallada wrote: »
    Its simply there is too many cafes, bars and restaurants in the area. If you go to places like Germany. You will be shocked to discover how few bars, cafes and restaurants you found in the an area an equal size of Smithfield.

Yeah, the planners were on the right track when specifying ground floor retail to improve streetscapes, but really it was too much of a good thing. There was massive oversupply in retail units in the boom years and now we have a terrible problem with boarded up retail units that have never been occupied. I read a wonderful statistic a few years ago, can't find it now, but the gist of it was that Ireland has a huge number of retail units per capita - even post-crash we have about twice as many shops, bars and restaurants per head of population compared to places like Luxembourg or Finland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The place which I believe has a bad reputation is in fact Moore Street. Not the sort of place you walk down on a cold damp night.

Well the dodgy half is be knocked down and replaced with a shopping centre. Although there is the usual 'why do we need another lifeless shopping centre' view from some are trying to stop it. There is another lobby group trying to argue that its an important part of the 1916 rising. But so is most of the city, but there is no point saving featureless buildings with minimal importance, when we are forcing everyone to live and shop in the suburbs. I think it will be great, as shopping on the northside is horrific compared to the southside of the city. Grafton Street and the surrounding streets are great. Where as Henry Street and the surrounding streets are a bit run down.

A decent high class shopping centre will do O Connell St some good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Well the dodgy half is be knocked down and replaced with a shopping centre. Although there is the usual 'why do we need another lifeless shopping centre' view from some are trying to stop it. There is another lobby group trying to argue that its an important part of the 1916 rising. But so is most of the city, but there is no point saving featureless buildings with minimal importance, when we are forcing everyone to live and shop in the suburbs. I think it will be great, as shopping on the northside is horrific compared to the southside of the city. Grafton Street and the surrounding streets are great. Where as Henry Street and the surrounding streets are a bit run down.

A decent high class shopping centre will do O Connell St some good

Your so wrong. Plenty of good shops on the North Side. The City Centre is the only place to shop for so many things. Over the Liffey takes time to walk to whereas on this side everything is so convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Might be in the minority but I much prefer shopping on Henry St than Grafton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

[...]
    For Dublin to thrive we need to accept that 8 storeys is perfectly fine and 15 storeys in some areas shouldn't be an issue.

going tall is so 20th century, and that’s understood in many european cities nowadays...look at places like munich, barcelona, paris or berlin...in fact, for dublin i’d suggest removing some of the worst atrocities like the central bank or that horrible liberty hall...along with many of the abandoned ruins all over town...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    going tall is so 20th century, and that’s understood in many european cities nowadays...look at places like munich, barcelona, paris or berlin...in fact, for dublin i’d suggest removing some of the worst atrocities like the central bank or that horrible liberty hall...along with many of the abandoned ruins all over town...

Liberty hall needs to come down. It is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Funny you should post this the day after it emerges Nama plan on building a 19 storey building in Dublin 2! Definitely seems to be going against the grain a little bit as you say.

jimmii wrote: »
    Funny you should post this the day after it emerges Nama plan on building a 19 storey building in Dublin 2! Definitely seems to be going against the grain a little bit as you say.

at least that’s out in the docklands and isn’t all that tall, unlike some of the megalomaniac ideas of the boom past...though if i had a say around here it wouldn’t happen...and who needs more office space anyway? likely to fall through when the current mini bubble blows...

at least that’s out in the docklands and isn’t all that tall, unlike some of the megalomaniac ideas of the boom past...though if i had a say around here it wouldn’t happen...and who needs more office space anyway? likely to fall through when the current mini bubble blows...

Office rents are going completely mad I guess it shows there is demand for the really good quality stuff but it really doesn't seem sustainable there are only so many billion dollar tech companies that want to rent space here at €50sqft+! There does seem to be a hell of a lot of Office space available around town but mostly seems to be the run of the mill stuff most companies aren't looking for.

Some of the ideas from back in the day were insane but I guess a lot of that was people trying to outdo each other somewhat hopefully people learnt a little from those days!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tristram wrote: »
    Might be in the minority but I much prefer shopping on Henry St than Grafton.

I didn't know people thought otherwise, I practically never go to Grafton!

We need to build up, it's not dense enough imo. Really need more people and more housing. There does seem to be way more homeless and beggars around too, not enough social housing either.

• Advertisement

I didn't know people thought otherwise, I practically never go to Grafton!

We need to build up, it's not dense enough imo. Really need more people and more housing. There does seem to be way more homeless and beggars around too, not enough social housing either.

Given the average spend data that came out a week or so ago it seems its definitely not the minority that agree! Grafton for show Henry for dough!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Only in Ireland would a 19 floor, 66m tall building be deemed a 'skyscraper'

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would a 19 floor, 66m tall building be deemed a 'skyscraper'

did anyone call it that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You've cherry picked a few cities. Much of the world is building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

SUPERKush wrote: »
    dublin has large run down parts

As does virtually every City in the world.

jimmii wrote: »
    As does virtually every City in the world.

yeah, though i wouldn’t want to see dublin compared to manila, lagos or calcutta…other northern and western european capitals and major cities have to be the benchmark here, cities of roughly comparable size ideally…like stockholm, stuttgart, helsinki or düsseldorf for instance…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

SUPERKush wrote: »
    dublin has large run down parts

Mod note: you have already been infracted for one post already in this forum and I've removed some of your other unhelpful answers. Please acquaint yourself with forum and site charters before posting again in this discussion forum or further sanctions will follow.

yeah, though i wouldn’t want to see dublin compared to manila, lagos or calcutta…other northern and western european capitals and major cities have to be the benchmark here, cities of roughly comparable size ideally…like stockholm, stuttgart, helsinki or düsseldorf for instance…

Stockholm & Stuttgart both have a much higher GDP so that also seems a bit unfair to compare. Its hard to really compare any two cities as there are always so many differences. Dublin could definitely do with a tidy up but its certainly wouldn't say it was very run down as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭goochy

i am a dub who moved to cork in 2006 - while cork is not perfect its in another league to dublin. think i must have been brain washed as i can understand why cork plp are so proud now. i am also surprised how many dubs live in cork .

dublin must be one of the most run down capital cities in europe yet it is also one of the most expensive to buy/ rent in !

as said i am dublin born and bred but i dont miss seeing all the junkies and scumbags you see in dublin.

sometimes i cant believe how lucky i am to have escaped if you guys have any sense u will too

also i noticed the term ' yous/ yews' isnt common in cork - i get plenty of harmless stick over that - it can be good fun doing love hate impressions too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are certainly "parts" of Dublin that are neglected and run down. Abandoned buildings and the like. Heard that DCC has great trouble in some cases tracking down the owners.

I think, like squatters rights, the Council should, after a certain period of trying to trace ownership, take control of the site, and deal with the consequences if a REAL owner turns up. It cannot be right that buildings are left to rot in the city. All that does is bring the surrounding areas down with them. Who would invest in a street where there are abandoned, neglected properties?

Anyway, I think in general, Dublin is beginning to get its act together. There are so many gaps though it's unreal. It's the little things, admittedly...

Just take for instance the crossing at O'Connell Bridge West side, junction with Bachelor's Walk. The pavement is tiny for the amount of footfall there. Only yesterday, I actually had to go out onto the road it was that crowded. And the surface of the paths is a disgrace too. Ranting here I know!

They should also take down the trees on Westmoreland Street. I love trees, but in their proper setting. Taking them down there would open up the light into that street, it is very gloomy with all the trees. And the footpaths around the Bank Of Ireland are heaving with people, heaving I tells ya!

And another thing, what is so special about Grafton Street? I do love the streets to the left and right of it, nice cafes, bars, quirky shops and the like, but the street itself? Nothing to recommend it IMV. Far prefer Henry Street myself. Even Talbot Street is great gas, loads of little shops and,........Guineys! Rummage city there.

Anyway, love the thread, love the city, but don't like some things about it.

But it will get better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/crumbling-georgian-guesthouse-steeped-in-dublin-history-1.2164468

The video in that article is good. Senator Norris' sightseeing tour of the Georgian north inner city. It's sad that I actually walked past half of those buildings in the 20 mins I spent in city centre today :(

Nim wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/crumbling-georgian-guesthouse-steeped-in-dublin-history-1.2164468

The video in that article is good. Senator Norris' sightseeing tour of the Georgian north inner city. It's sad that I actually walked past half of those buildings in the 20 mins I spent in city centre today :(

yup, good video, my thoughts exactly and he is absolutely right…i live not far from the area and walk by those buildings quite often, not to mention all the rubbish, the littering and illegal dumping everywhere…there is clearly something very wrong around here, in people’s minds that is…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

The amount of Junkies in Dublin city centre is unreal.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    The amount of Junkies in Dublin city centre is unreal.

yup, that’s another major issue around here…are there any statistics on how many junkies there are in dublin? feels like tens of thousands…

Nim wrote: »

shocking image of the rear of 30 north great frederick street there, too…looks like collapse may be imminent…

yup, that’s another major issue around here…are there any statistics on how many junkies there are in dublin? feels like tens of thousands…

I passed the criminal courts last week in Dublin and saw a Junkie injecting himself on the court steps.

The law in Ireland is a joke.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I passed the criminal courts last week in Dublin and saw a Junkie injecting himself on the court steps.

The law in Ireland is a joke.

yeah, that would appear to be the case…i just don’t get it…

• Advertisement

yeah, that would appear to be the case…i just don’t get it…

If we had "zero tolerance" it would go along way to solving the drugs problem in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement