Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €100 headset?

Options
  • 19-03-2015 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend me a good headset.... I'd prefer to pay in the region of 70 notes but could be pushed to go a little higher.
    It needs to be a 2 ear one.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Get yourself the Sony 2.0 headset. Think Smyths are doing it for 85euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Get yourself the Sony 2.0 headset. Think Smyths are doing it for 85euro.

I have these and they are great in my opinion. The difference in playing the last of us with them and without them is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Sony Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset

I have a set of these and they are really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

+1 For the Sony 2.0 Headset, I use one and they are f**king class

I had a pair but ended up buying a set of Astro A40's as they were going cheap but the Sony headset is the best you can get for that price range for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I had a pair but ended up buying a set of Astro A40's as they were going cheap but the Sony headset is the best you can get for that price range for sure.

The A40s are really worth the price to be honest. Op your budget is already expensive at €100 so whats another €100 or so :p. You'll have them for years and the quality is flawless. The mix amp makes them worth it, though. The mix amp is basically steroids for audio. Being able to know exactly where people are coming from in shooters is unreal, but like I said before they really stand out in a game like Battlefield where there's the sounds of jets kilometres away in the sky shooting, tanks hundreds of metres away shooting, quad bikes buzzing around, buildings being destroyed and then the gun fire and sounds of screaming soldiers dying. Oh, can't forget the absolutely mind blowing subtlety of bullet shells dropping and how they make different sounds depending on what kind of ground you're on.

Astro A40's going for €175 in Argos at the minute. Definitely the best headset i have ever owned but i digress. Sony's are excellent if that's your budget.

Man, as someone who occasionally frequent boards.ie for buying advice there is nothing worse that saying "I'd like to spend around €70 but my budget is €100" only for people to start suggesting stuff twice that price.

OP, just buy cars with decent Ministry of Sound systems and subwoofers, send a stereo channel to each car, park them on either side of your house with the boot facing the house and all the windows open. You're welcome

Cormac... wrote: »
    Man, as someone who occasionally frequent boards.ie for buying advice there is nothing worse that saying "I'd like to spend around €70 but my budget is €100" only for people to start suggesting stuff twice that price.

OP, just buy cars with decent Ministry of Sound systems and subwoofers, send a stereo channel to each car, park them on either side of your house with the boot facing the house and all the windows open. You're welcome

But what about noise cancellation?

There's nothing wrong in suggesting getting something a bit more expensive to the OP. He might take the advice and be happy that he did. Don't see the point in trying to be a smartarse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Thanks for the advice lads....
    I don't mind the expensive suggestions, but 100 is pushing it as it is, I couldn't justify nearly doubling it.
    I'm going to give it a week or so and see if any more suggestions come in or I find a good deal, but Its certainly looking like that Sony 2.0 is a good shout.

Actually, would anyone recommend these Turtle Beach wireless ones at the top of my budget ? Or is the sony still a better option?

http://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%204/Games/47063/turtlebeach-ear-force-stealth-400-wireless-headset

Scary things can lurk in Turtle Beaches budget range......

Sure by the time you return here someone will have linked to you a €329 headset telling you you'll never need another and it's worth the money.

Actually, would anyone recommend these Turtle Beach wireless ones at the top of my budget ? Or is the sony still a better option?

http://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%204/Games/47063/turtlebeach-ear-force-stealth-400-wireless-headset

DO NOT get these. There's a constant buzzing sound from them when the mic is turned on. Also happens with the Stealth 500P's.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

The tritton kunai ones in Argos are fairly decent and less than €60. They come with leads for a PC and the 360 too in case you have more than just a PS. I can't fault them at all, they seem just as good as headsets that are way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

+13 for Sony 2.0

Fantastic value for the price. Comes with a USB dongle that you can pop into your pc and off you go.

Faultless in most regards but if you go on an extended gaming session then they will start to annoy your ears but sub 100 quid you cannot get better.
    If I was to critique it then I'd say the buttons can be annoying when you are trying to find them, thats it really. Oh and every time you adjust volume up/down it beeps and the volume goes for a second. Doesn't effect performance, it just annoys me. I presume its like that for everybody right?

Oh and don't have them on backwards, like I did. For a week.

I actually think I've been convinced to go for those Astro's at 175 lads.... Great reviews... But seems to be a lot of wiring and setup involved?
    Would I be right in saying the wires are the payoff for better sound quality over the wireless option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Get the Sony ones, they are great. Plug the USB transmitter into your PC and they work on it too.

I actually think I've been convinced to go for those Astro's at 175 lads.... Great reviews... But seems to be a lot of wiring and setup involved?
    Would I be right in saying the wires are the payoff for better sound quality over the wireless option?

Nah the wires and setup are very easy once you have it in front of you. You just plug the audio cable into the mix amp and then you plug the headphones wire into the mix amp. The only other wire is the USB cable powering the mix amp.

Wired is usually better than wireless for quality but I doubt there's much difference between the two these days, being honest. The biggest benefit is just having no wires around.

Watch some A40 unboxing videos on YouTube, you'll know whether or not you really want them then.

Advertisement