Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Operating System

• 19-03-2015 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

This may seem like a stupid question, but I was wondering whether students are able to use linux. For example, are there things students need windows or OSX for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Depends on the course. Some might require software that's only available on a certain OS, some might have an alternative programs.

The college PCs should have nearly all of the software you'll need. I can only think of 1 situation where I needed my own computer with windows to do work.

If you want to use a non windows OS I would recommend getting somewhat familiar with virtual machines. You might not need it but at least its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AllyBushell

Depends on the course. Some might require software that's only available on a certain OS, some might have an alternative programs.

The college PCs should have nearly all of the software you'll need. I can only think of 1 situation where I needed my own computer with windows to do work.

If you want to use a non windows OS I would recommend getting somewhat familiar with virtual machines. You might not need it but at least its there.

I am (hopefully) doing Computer Science and Information Technology, which I assume would have full support for it. Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I am (hopefully) doing Computer Science and Information Technology, which I assume would have full support for it. Thanks for your reply

All the computers in the IT building run Windows and you won't have admin rights to install a VM.
    It wasn't until 4th year until an assignment that required Linux appeared, and for that we were given shell access only to an Ubuntu VM.

But if you want to work on Linux on your own machine you're free to do so. I don't remember anything ever explicitly requiring Windows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Our tutors and lectures actually say you're better off not using MS Visual Studio for things like C++. It fries your brain. Everything can be done on Linux in my experience. You can always use a windows VM if required.

And don't bother paying extra for Windows or MS Office. You can get it for free with Dreamspark :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Im using linux in nuig and its grand ,just about everything is compatible ,you just might use a different editor or whatever and if you really need it you can use wine to run a windows program. But most of the stuff we've used so far is all free and open source anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Mr. G wrote: »
    Our tutors and lectures actually say you're better off not using MS Visual Studio for things like C++.

Wait, what? Who said that??

And don't bother paying extra for Windows or MS Office. You can get it for free with Dreamspark :D.

Pay for Windows and office? come on bro xD Thanks though, that is what I had in mind anyway, but I just wanted to be sure it was ok before I buy a new laptop, so I wouldn't be paying extra for an OS I wouldn't even use. :)

maki wrote: »
    All the computers in the IT building run Windows and you won't have admin rights to install a VM.
    It wasn't until 4th year until an assignment that required Linux appeared, and for that we were given shell access only to an Ubuntu VM.

But if you want to work on Linux on your own machine you're free to do so. I don't remember anything ever explicitly requiring Windows.

That's exactly what I wanted, thank you for the reply :)

Wait, what? Who said that??

I'd have to kill you if I told you :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I'd have to kill you if I told you :p.

I'm just surprised as VS is one of the best development environments out there.

• Advertisement

I'm just surprised as VS is one of the best development environments out there.

It's debatable for learning though, in C++ if you make an error VS might not pick it up. It fries your brain if using an IDE but at the end of the day, I have to agree, it is a good IDE, but for learning, it would be recommended to try other environments.

Knowing VS is obviously very important as you say, but knowing how to write a programme without VS is too. As I say, it's debatable.

Advertisement