Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Warning Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The HIA issued a statement afterwards clarifying the requirement.

From the Times...

"The HIA then followed up the interview with a statement of clarification in which it said that where an adult rate of premium was paid for an individual that will be taken into account in calculating the amount of age-related loadings that may apply after 30th April."

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Yes, I heard this interview today and found it disturbing. It doesn't affect me personally but I did alert a few people I work with to what had been said (or not said actually!!) Is there any way you could link the HSE statement Project Moose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The guy, or someone who knows what they're talking about, is back on Pats show this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Possibly the wrong place but didn't the whole risk equalization thing do away with age loading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bladespin wrote: »
    Possibly the wrong place but didn't the whole risk equalization thing do away with age loading?

Thats motor insurance and is based on gender, age is still a loading factor, particularly with health insurance.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

I hate this country... In 2009 I had health insurance, and i was paying risk equalisation for older people...had to drop it in 2012 due to not having enough money to pay it, NOW some smart arse thinks its a good idea to charge me a levy on top of the cost because I'm over 35 and cannot afford it anyway .... Who gives these fools a job???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thats motor insurance and is based on gender, age is still a loading factor, particularly with health insurance.

Pretty sure it was health, the reason Bupa exited the market, Mary Hearny propping up VHI with it's older customer base, hence Quinn and now Laya. Even worse was the fact they left motor etc alone, so it's ok to discriminate on age but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

bladespin wrote: »

Risk equalisation is a process that aims to address differences in insurers’ claim costs that arise due to variations in the health status of their members. Risk equalisation involves payments to or from insurers related to the risk profile of their membership. Basically, as VHI have the majority of the older customers their claims costs are higher and receive more refunds from the risk equalisation fund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I hate this country... In 2009 I had health insurance, and i was paying risk equalisation for older people...had to drop it in 2012 due to not having enough money to pay it, NOW some smart arse thinks its a good idea to charge me a levy on top of the cost because I'm over 35 and cannot afford it anyway .... Who gives these fools a job???

Wont you be exempted precisely because you had it before.

Advertisement