Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLASH FICTION- The Creature

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Howdy! I lurk on here from time to time but never really felt brave enough to post any of my writings.
    That said, I'm gradually gaining confidence with my writing class and I felt like sharing a small piece of flash fiction.
    I do hope you enjoy. It's short but it's something I hope to someday elaborate on if the mood strikes. :)

Anyhoo:
    THE CREATURE
    He listened again: perfectly silent.
    He felt that he was alone.
    Yet Hershel knew better- the battle had been long and ardorous and the infernal creature had given a bloody good fight before it seemingly succumbed to the stab of his harpoon.
    Hershel stared at the weapon in his hand, breathing hard.
    The barb at the end of it had pierced the fleshy tendril of the beast, gouging out a sizable chunk of muscle and sinew.
    The remnants were covered in a thick green tar-like substance and Lord above, the smell was foul.
    Hershel sat back on the edge of the stricken little boat, his hands shaking as he lowered his weapon and stared into the blackened depths.
    The sea was calm now but the stillness made him nervous.
    Somewhere, deep beneath the waves, the monster lay waiting...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

I like it :) It's a nice piece of short fiction.

Although, and I may be misunderstanding the whole notion of flash fiction, but I do have some minor comments. The stories kind of in a vacum. There's no real context or begining or end. Also, the character is in the same boat (heh).

But, still it's quite intriguing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 morriss003

Nice start

Advertisement