Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding winter flu colds etc...

Options
  • 19-03-2015 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Again this year ... Training going great seeing improvements and the plan working ...
    Then bang twice in 4 weeks. Layed up with a flu .. I am now nearly a week out of action .. .. It's soul distroying ..
    I know hard secessions lower the immune system.. Etc .
    Maybe to many heavy session this time of year .. I just don't know .
    How does everyone else avoid getting the flu..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Things were ticking along nicely and I'm sick for the second time in a month or so. Usually not an issue. very frustrating missing training at any time but especially now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Interesting thread on the runners forum about the same topic.

In general there seems to be a whole lot more illness going on this year relative to previously. I know I've been shook a couple of times and I'd normally get one dose of winter cold and that would be it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm the same. 3rd time it's hit me. Took 8 days off this time and did 40 minutes yesterday. Still not 100% - time, eat well, rest as much as you can. Comforting to see a thread in here and in AR and know it's not just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Protein supplementation has been linked to a reduced rate of Upper Respiratory Infections. So thats one thing.

Echniecea is claimed by many to help.
    Zinc too.

Sleep and sufficient rest are the biggies though. And avoiding children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Leave the wife and kids and live a hermit lifestyle.:)

Plenty of sleep and avoiding work and life stresses in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Sleep and sufficient rest are the biggies though.

Lack of ^ is responsible for knocking the stuffing out of me completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Avoiding contact with other people is the best method.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

I have a plan to really embrace the recovery weeks this year and get to bed at reasonable hour.. Also gonna focus on the 80/20 rule.. If that doesn't work I'll just take up knitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wash hands often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

2 Tablespoons of Cod liver oil daily. Has to be the liquid form. I have not got a cold or a flu in 2 years since i started taking it. One of the lads i cycle with told me about it then and i have not looked back since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

2 Tablespoons of Cod liver oil daily. Has to be the liquid form. I have not got a cold or a flu in 2 years since i started taking it. One of the lads i cycle with told me about it then and i have not looked back since.

What brand do you use?

Actually I took this this winter, albeit for another reason and didn't get sick at all

pgibbo wrote: »
    What brand do you use?

Seven seas or the tesco brand. They taste the same to me. Not the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I switched to tablets a while back after spilling a bottle over the carpet in work. My colleagues were none too pleased with the smell!!! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah was wondering, why the oil over the capsules Bryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Might have a go with the cod liver oil so ...
    I'm still not training and being away next week with work is not helping either ..
    Anyone get the flu jab ???

Yeah was wondering, why the oil over the capsules Bryan?

The best quality cod liver oil products, however, are bottled and taken by the teaspoon, not the capsule.

Pill forms of nutritional supplements typically contain more additives and fillers than liquid supplements do.

The best quality cod liver oil products, however, are bottled and taken by the teaspoon, not the capsule.

Pill forms of nutritional supplements typically contain more additives and fillers than liquid supplements do.

It doesn't taste that bad. Barely notice it now, helps me too with ankles (I think, accepting potential placebo and all)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wash hands as often as possible.

Sleep in a room with no heating. This is the trick I think. I haven't been ill in years since we now sleep in an unheated bedroom with a cosy electrick blanket. Even on the coldest nights. Touch wood now!!

When we go away in early Spring or Autumn, the hotels can have heating on, and it kills us. Coughs and colds straight away. Always get it turned off or as low as they can.

I don't know why this is at all. But it works for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'll stick my oar in for the flu vaccine. Not been quite as effective as usual this year mind you

Wash your hands.

Avoid children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Now into my second week .. Went for a light run Saturday (thinking I was better )evening and nearly coughed up a lung ... Chest is not really that much better now .. Looks like is going to be over 2 weeks before I can get back at it .. A lot of work can be reversed in 2 weeks..

noc231073 wrote: »
    Now into my second week .. Went for a light run Saturday (thinking I was better )evening and nearly coughed up a lung ... Chest is not really that much better now .. Looks like is going to be over 2 weeks before I can get back at it .. A lot of work can be reversed in 2 weeks..

Regaining fitness is a quicker than gaining it in the first place.

Advertisement