Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Solar Eclipse

Options
  • 19-03-2015 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

We're getting one tomorrow, well one with 90-95% coverage, you need to be in The Faroes to get the full 100%. The last time the UK and Ireland experienced this was in 1999.

Anyone recommend a spot for viewing, am thinking somewhere with as little light pollution as possible, Knocknarea, Rosses Point Beach, Benbulben, Ballyremote :p

Although anyone going out to experience it, please do not view directly or through any magnifying device, as can cause permanent damage to your eyes/vision.

Comments

Yes be careful. It's at approximately 9.30 am tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Some serious light pollution to worry about, what with the sun being up, and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

endacl wrote: »
    Some serious light pollution to worry about, what with the sun being up, and all.

think you have strayed from the AH thread

:p

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    think you have strayed from the AH thread

:p

I try to maintain a presence on all these threads. You never know when the 'stare at it through binoculars. Be grand' muppets might turn up.

:)

Ever vigilant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sadly, the forecast is for hazy cloud, so there mightn't be anywhere good nearby at all. South/south-east Ireland seems best bet, perhaps extreme North as well. Personally I like the area around Streedagh beach, went out there before looking for Aurora Borealis, couldn't do anything about the cloud then either. The only positive is there's some cooling during the eclipse which can lead to cloud clearing a little, so you never know.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    Sadly, the forecast is for hazy cloud, so there mightn't be anywhere good nearby at all. South/south-east Ireland seems best bet, perhaps extreme North as well. Personally I like the area around Streedagh beach, went out there before looking for Aurora Borealis, couldn't do anything about the cloud then either. The only positive is there's some cooling during the eclipse which can lead to cloud clearing a little, so you never know.

Hazy cloud is grand, if you've a properly filtered instrument to look through. You'll lose a tiny amount of detail, but not much.

ectoraige wrote: »

Quite a bit of cooling actually. I remember viewing it in 1999 in Richmond Park in London, and it got quite cool, despite being quite hot before and after.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Yes be careful. It's at approximately 9.30 am tomorrow!

Thats at around 95% totality. The event its self starts around 8.30am, and finishes around 10.30.

Advertisement