Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

commute bike reccomendations

• 19-03-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

how's it going guys, I'm in the market for a new rothar. I have been commuting from swords for a couple years on a trek 7.1fx when I was in the city centre then a fixed gear when I was working closer in malahide.

Im back in the city again and I think my knees would be better off without the fixed gear 5 days a week.
    I'm shocked at the state of the roads, they somehow have got worse.

So the question is should I go for a solid road bike for speed or mountain bike for the lumps and bumps?

look forward to getting some opinions. probably leaning on the road bike to be honest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

why not a hybrid - sounds like exactly what it is designed for - getting not quite the best of both worlds, but most of the best of both worlds.

I use my hybrid to commute in preference to my road bike, as do most who have both I guess.

I presume you no longer have the Trek 7.1fx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Buy a Genesis Equilibrium 10.
    Rack & Mudguard Mounts (for carrying stuff and keeping ar5e dry),
    Long reach brakes (room for widish tyres and mudguards),
    Steel Frame (reduced road buzz),
    Non-press fit bottom bracket (easily changed).
    32-spoke wheels (should be strong).

Would also function well as a training/sportive/light touring bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

I actually still have the trek, it just needs a lot of work. I was quoted 200 quid. Told my better half, to which she suggested buying a new bike.

I suppose its less about needing it more that I want a new bike and im allowed.
    (we have been keeping our heads down saving for the past while with a view for more saving in the coming year or too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

zonular wrote: »
    I actually still have the trek, it just needs a lot of work. I was quoted 200 quid. Told my better half, to which she suggested buying a new bike.

I suppose its less about needing it more that I want a new bike and im allowed.
    (we have been keeping our heads down saving for the past while with a view for more saving in the coming year or too)

Well - perhaps you can have the best of both worlds - get a second hand road bike for the weekends and fix up the trek yourself for the commute into work.

If you only want one I would be inclined to fix up the trek if it were me, or else go for a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

I realise that's the most sensible option, the bike is solid save for repairs needed, I realise its the best option for the commute, just hoping to hear otherwise, its not the most exciting bike sorta like cycling a couch, a very safe comfortable sturdy couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If the fixie is a bit hard on the knees then have you considered changing the rear sprocket to reduce the gear ratio? It'll make it easier on the knees but reduce your top-speed at a given cadence.

That's a very cheap quick fix, and if you're coming in from malahide to the city centre in the traffic, are you really getting up to that high a speed anyway?

[edit] Oh and put your new bike money towards a road bike that you can do spins on at the weekend instead! [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

If you are looking hybrid wiggle have an attractive looking deal. Eastway hybrid with SRAM Apex and Hydraulic disk brakes for 477.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-fb30-2014/

Advertisement