Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mavic ksyrium elite I want but do I need

• 19-03-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hey all
    Been offered a set of mavic ksyrium elites very good price have feck all done.

Do I really need them though, have a ridley excalibur on 4za Stratos for sportives etc. Perfectly fine.
    But the mavics are so pretty.....

Help me decide.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

You know the answer to this.
    The real danger in asking this here are going to be the posts that tell you wheel XYZ is bettrt because blah blah and you can get it for less than RRP here....
    it will cost you more money.
    :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Always go for pretty, they won't talk back, definitely go for pretty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No question about it. Go for it. Of course you need them. They will suit your bike perfectly. They will make you go much faster. You will be a better person. Your friends will admire you and be jealous of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭casion3

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No question about it. Go for it. Of course you need them. They will suit your bike perfectly. They will make you go much faster. You will be a better person. Your friends will admire you and be jealous of you.

That's what I was thinking. I suppose if I don't need them I have to go for them. The cycling industry would collapse if we bought only what we needed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Need? No.
    Want? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Simple solution here. Keep the wheels you have on your bike.

Just get a new bike to put the mavics on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

You'd best get some nice tyres to go with them too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

you can never have too many wheels! and they are a decent light wheelset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

In a similar boat.
    Have a Ridley, am using the 4ZAs on my old bike for the winter and planning on upgrading to Ksyriums imminently for the Ridley, just haven't pressed BUY NOW yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

In my experience (sportive/leisure rider) I wouldn't bother. I upgraded the stock wheels on my Trek to Ksyrium Elites, and can honestly say I didn't notice any difference apart from my bank balance. Kept them for a year and then sold them and stuck the Bontragers back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

306529.jpg?itok=tKhK24hV

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

bogmanfan wrote: »
    In my experience (sportive/leisure rider) I wouldn't bother. I upgraded the stock wheels on my Trek to Ksyrium Elites, and can honestly say I didn't notice any difference apart from my bank balance. Kept them for a year and then sold them and stuck the Bontragers back on.

This.

I have a pair of Ksyrium Elites on a bike and they are pretty unremarkable. In fact, the bearings were poorly adjusted out of the box. Sure, it's an easy enough fix, but it's not what you expect with a mid-range pair of wheels.

I had a 180 euro pair of Campag Sciroccos that weighed about 1800/1900g and were fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Ksyriums are overpriced and not in any way impressive. There are a lot better wheels around for less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I just fitted Ksyriums Elites to my bike. They look great and ride great. Very happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Life is short, better to be sorry for doing something than be sorry for not! They will make you feel better for doing it, you probably won't be faster but so what! You're worth it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You should save up and buy deep section carbon wheels.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

BGT wrote: »
    Life is short, better to be sorry for doing something than be sorry for not! They will make you feel better for doing it, you probably won't be faster but so what! You're worth it!
    Ah now I'm just even more confused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Different wheels - same story.

I replaced the stock Giant wheels on a TCR with Zondas - the giant wheels were fine I just fancied something a bit prettier and lighter. The bike does feel more responsive and all around "better" with the Zondas.

I don't race but I'd do about six sportif a year. I commute on the stock wheels in case I get the pretty ones dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

if you aren't starving the baby of some milk then just go buy them!

and use them - all the time. don't mind keeping them for the good weather. its a wheel.

i noticed a difference when i bought a very old set krysiums in comparison to the stock wheels. noticed on the first corner i took.

maybe set a goal before you buy. gives you a reason and lessens teh guilt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

kingoffifa wrote: »

maybe set a goal before you buy. gives you a reason and lessens teh guilt :)

yup- i set a body-weight goal before buying my last bike. lorried on the pounds again straight after i bought it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭casion3

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This.

I have a pair of Ksyrium Elites on a bike and they are pretty unremarkable. In fact, the bearings were poorly adjusted out of the box. Sure, it's an easy enough fix, but it's not what you expect with a mid-range pair of wheels.

I had a 180 euro pair of Campag Sciroccos that weighed about 1800/1900g and were fantastic.

This is the kinda sensible talk I wasn't looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

casion3 wrote: »
    This is the kinda sensible talk I wasn't looking for.

It depends entirely on the deal you're being offered. If they are cheaper than a pair of decent budget wheels, then go for it.

I've had crap wheels by the way: formula hubs with alex rims and coat hangers for spokes, that kind of thing I'd upgrade from.

In my own experience, I've found going from a 200 euro set of wheels to a 500+ euro set doesn't bring the life changing experience I'd hoped for. I don't ever buy into this "I was 3 kph faster!" or "I felt it in the first corner" lark.

The only time I notice it is when stuff breaks and needs fixing. A nice set of hand-builts with easily replaceable parts is my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't ever buy into this "I was 3 kph faster!" or "I felt it in the first corner" lark.

The only time I notice it is when stuff breaks and needs fixing.

You need some Boras, man. Bet you would notice the difference then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

I'm in the same boat... Sold my tcr with cosmic elites and I'm collecting my giant propel build the shop is doing for me but haven't picked the wheels yet... They'll probably all feel the same to me up to 800 so it comes down to looks for me which I think the propel needs deep section wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

I have the same bike and replaced the wheels with durace c24 from beginning, totally different bike and I believe the ultegra wheels are every bit as good. The wheels that came with the bike are used for winter bike only near impossible to get continentals on and off them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,302 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't understand this concept of "need" - it's "want" that drives my decisions (pretty much every time!!):pac:

Sod it, just done it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Iwernia wrote: »
    ultegra wheels are every bit as good.
    I had (till they were stolen) handbuilt wheels on ultegra hubs and really really liked them. And they were quiet. No excessive ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Tree Scape wrote: »
    Sod it, just done it!

Good man. I've a Ridley crying out for a set of Ksyruims too :rolleyes:

Let us know if they're worth it

• Advertisement

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Good man. I've a Ridley crying out for a set of Ksyruims too :rolleyes:

Let us know if they're worth it
    You may be in luck, think I ordered them twice:eek:

Advertisement