Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing host

Options
  • 19-03-2015 11:47am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Note sure if this is the right forum, so mods please move if appropriate.

I have a web site and email addresses with a given host and direct access to the domain registry entries. I've find the service pretty poor, so I'm keen to shift it all to another host, where I already have another shared server currently use mostly for large ftp.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to make the move. I'm guessing the easiest way is to use FTP to copy the entire contents of my current site to the new server, and then change the relevant domain pointers, but I'm not sure how to do this and how it will affect my email. The site has no help, and under DNS records has entries for A, MX, CNAME and TXT records. Any ideas on how these should be filled out, and anything else I should be aware of?

342438.JPG

(Edited to remove names of current hosting company as per boards rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Discussing specific hosting providers on boards.ie is forbidden

I'd recommend you contact your hosting provider - both the new one and the old one for assistance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Blacknight wrote: »
    Discussing specific hosting providers on boards.ie is forbidden

I'd recommend you contact your hosting provider - both the new one and the old one for assistance

Ok, names removed as per rules, apologies for not having read the charter in this case.

Current hosting provider is about as much use as a water pistol in a gun fight, but checking back I have a direct IEDR account for the domain name. FWIW, ftping the site didn't work, as CMS databases also need to be set-up. While I was hoping to avoid a spend, I'll probably get the company who did my website design to do the necessary.

Advertisement