Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU driving licence and foreign car, experienced driver

Options
  • 19-03-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hello!
    Does Liberty insure LHD (left-hand drive) vehicles? I'd like to import the car I already own since 2008 to Ireland soon, and I'm wondering if I'll end up with no one able to insure it here. It's a Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 90hp, registered in 2008.

Are rates similar to a new Irish driver, for a person of 25 years old who's got 7 years of driving experience without any accident/claims in another EU country (not UK)?

Thank you!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Hello!
    Does Liberty insure LHD (left-hand drive) vehicles? I'd like to import the car I already own since 2008 to Ireland soon, and I'm wondering if I'll end up with no one able to insure it here. It's a Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 90hp, registered in 2008.

Are rates similar to a new Irish driver, for a person of 25 years old who's got 7 years of driving experience without any accident/claims in another EU country (not UK)?

Thank you!

Hi JackHeuston
    Yes we insure left hand drive vehicles. We also accept a No Claims Discount earned in an EU country. If you want to DM me your details I can arrange for someone to contact you and provide you with a quotation.
    Regards
    Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Foreign license and LHD car will both increase your premium. I have 1 years no claims and and Irish car/license. Girlfriend has 10 years, LHD and French license and her premium is larger than mine.

Convert to an Irish license and sell the car if you are moving here for an extended period. Also LHD here is a pain, forget overtaking on the national roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Foreign license and LHD car will both increase your premium. I have 1 years no claims and and Irish car/license. Girlfriend has 10 years, LHD and French license and her premium is larger than mine.

Convert to an Irish license and sell the car if you are moving here for an extended period. Also LHD here is a pain, forget overtaking on the national roads.
    I know but I'd like to keep the car since "we have spent so much time together" :D I'll try to live with the consequences of having a LHD. I'll mainly use it to commute to work in Dublin, so overtaking is not necessary.

Yes I can convert my driving licence in an Irish one, is it really a reason that makes the premium larger though? If so, I can go through the process, hopefully before needing the insurance.

I know but I'd like to keep the car since "we have spent so much time together" :D I'll try to live with the consequences of having a LHD. I'll mainly use it to commute to work in Dublin, so overtaking is not necessary.

Yes I can convert my driving licence in an Irish one, is it really a reason that makes the premium larger though? If so, I can go through the process, hopefully before needing the insurance.
    Well with a foreign license you can't accumulate points for speeding etc so you are higher risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

3300 € to insure my car! Are you serious?

• Advertisement

3300 € to insure my car! Are you serious?

Hi JackHeuston
    We have tried calling you regarding your quote. Can you PM me if there is a suitable time to contact you today?
    Regards
    Seán

Yeah Liberty quoted me over 2 grand when I am paying 600 with the AA. Seems if they don't want your business they just give something insane.

Yeah Liberty quoted me over 2 grand when I am paying 600 with the AA. Seems if they don't want your business they just give something insane.
    [font=Garamond", "serif]Hi Stefanovich[/font]

[font=Garamond", "serif]We regret you are disappointed with the price offered for your car insurance. While we are not competitive on this occasion, our pricing is constantly under review so we would encourage you to contact us again at your next renewal.[/font]
    [font=Garamond", "serif]Regards [/font]
    [font=Garamond", "serif]Seán[/font]

Advertisement