Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the likelihood of finding weekend work in Dublin?

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm moving to Dublin in four weeks to begin a computer science conversion course. The course is 9-5 Monday to Friday. I can't afford not to work in order to live there.

My current boss would let me keep my weekend job (in retail) at home in Donegal but it would involve 10 hours travelling as well as €40 in bus costs every weekend.

Is it realistic for me to quit my current job in the belief that I would be able to find weekend work in Dublin or should I stick it out and commit to the travelling? I would only be able to work weekends and I know that would put most employers off. I am 23 years old, female and I've been working part time in retail for the past 7 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's reasonable that you'd probably find something, though I'm not sure how much "weekend only" work is flying around. Most retailers in Dublin have at least one late evening opening, if not every evening, so part-time workers typically do weekends and one or two evenings (6-10) during the week.

You have a good deal of experience and you're not a flaky 18 year old, so as a part-time worker you're an attractive prospect to most retailers, perhaps even as a shift supervisor.

If you can find somewhere to stay for a week, I think it would be worth making the trip to Dublin now and spend a week pounding the pavement and handing your CV into places. If you don't get something before you come down, you can try balance the two - on weekends go back up and work in the shop, and during the week spend a couple of evenings chasing up jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm moving to Dublin in four weeks to begin a computer science conversion course. The course is 9-5 Monday to Friday. I can't afford not to work in order to live there.

My current boss would let me keep my weekend job (in retail) at home in Donegal but it would involve 10 hours travelling as well as €40 in bus costs every weekend.

Your scheduled course hours may be Mon-Fri 9-5, but if the course is in any way worth doing, you will be studying virtually every hour under the sun. Do not even attempt a 10 hour commute for a retail job!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hoistthatrag

Thanks for your replies!

I walked around Dublin for four hours on Tuesday morning to ask business if they were hiring and handed in 60 cv's. Met a few managers who said they'd would call in the next few days to arrange an interview, so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Thanks for your replies!

I walked around Dublin for four hours on Tuesday morning to ask business if they were hiring and handed in 60 cv's. Met a few managers who said they'd would call in the next few days to arrange an interview, so fingers crossed!

Hi mate, if you don't mind me asking what part of Dublin did you walk around and some of the shops you handed CVs into? Most times I try they say you have to apply online.

I generally avoided the bigger international stores (Boots, Carrolls, Tescos, Costa's etc etc) as they are all applied for online. I didn't bother with the obvious like Grafton street either because I'd say they're mobbed with CV's. If you try the cafes, bars, and smaller shops around other busy areas such as Temple Bar you should come across something.

Also, a number of places told me they'd be hiring around the end of April because that's when the tourists start landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

I generally avoided the bigger international stores (Boots, Carrolls, Tescos, Costa's etc etc) as they are all applied for online. I didn't bother with the obvious like Grafton street either because I'd say they're mobbed with CV's. If you try the cafes, bars, and smaller shops around other busy areas such as Temple Bar you should come across something.

Also, a number of places told me they'd be hiring around the end of April because that's when the tourists start landing.

Thanks very much for the advice mate and best of luck with your job search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What job do you have in Donegal and where you planning on living in Dublin?

What job do you have in Donegal and where you planning on living in Dublin?

Hey,

I got a house sorted this week in Crumlin. I've been working in a convenience store at home for the past 5 years, handed in my notice this week. I had two other jobs before that - as a personal assistant in a stationary company for 6 months & I worked in a cafe for over a year.

Advertisement