Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook - Receiving not sending mail

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am having trouble with my eircom.net e-mail account. It will receive, but not send mail when i use outlook 2007. I get:
    Sending report error (0x800CCCx80) : None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server
    I went through the following steps to check settings:

• Tools
    • Account settings
    • Double clicked on account
    • More settings
    • Outgoing server
    • Clicked on "log in using"
    • Entered username & password
    • Finish

Shut it down, and restarted, and still getting the same error messages. I checked the incoming and outgoing settings as i use three Ireland and the settings are:

Incoming - webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing - mail-relay.3ireland.ie

So to send it from my eircom account i have to copy the text, open Firefox, log onto webmail via Eircom site, and then send it that way.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sounds like a Three Ireland issue as it's only an outgoing problem.

Has it been working before? Did it suddenly stop?

As a test, will mail send via an Eircom line (including Emobile/Meteor) connection? (you will have to change the outgoing mail server to mail1.eircom.net) You may not have access to an eircom line but it'll confirm a Three Ireland issue.
    Someone you know might have an emobile/meteor number if they'll let you tether to run a test.

Do you have a gmail account? Can you try sending the mail via your gmail account (you'll need your gmail user/pass and the gmail outgoing mail server settings instead of the Three Ireland outgoing settings).

I always recommend this option for Eircom email customers as the gmail servers never seem to have any real problems, and the best part is it doesn't matter what internet provider you use. The gmail servers work on any ISP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes.

Worked last week when i sent a test mail to a G-mail account i sent up for a family member. I don't use the outgoing much on eircom as it's my "private" e-mail. I use g-mail for everything else.
    As a test, will mail send via an Eircom/Emobile/Meteor connection? (you will have to change the outgoing mail server to mail1.eircom.net)
    I live on the side of a mountain. I only get internet access (including e-mail) via three. Metoer, eircom, vodafone, etc. do not cover my area and i've had them out a few times to check. So no chance of testing on another outgoing connection.
    Do you have a gmail account?
    Yes.
    Can you try sending the mail using your gmail account (you'll need your gmail user/pass and the gmail outgoing mail server settings).
    I can send it via g-mail, but as said above i use y eircom account for personal mail between myself and close friends and family. Not to say i could not use g-mail, but i use it (g-mail) for everything else including Boards.ie notificatinos, and other such stuff where i'd receive hundreds of mail a day. So when i see something come in on my eircom i know it's important.

Plus, and no disrespect, using another account is an easy/obvious solution. I'd like to try and resolve this issue if i can. [/quote]
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Cass,

The advice I can offer here will be quite limited in comparison to what eircoms email support center can offer (they can be contacted on 1530277100 at 33c per min)

It's clear you have the outgoing server settings correct but have you got the outgoing port set to Port: 25? Go to Internet E-mail Settings - Advanced" and setting encrypted connection (SSL) and the outgoing server (POP3) Port Number should be 25.

Beyond that the best advice I can offer is to call email support I'm afraid.

Hope this helps
    Al

Cass wrote: »
    Yes.

Worked last week when i sent a test mail to a G-mail account i sent up for a family member. I don't use the outgoing much on eircom as it's my "private" e-mail. I use g-mail for everything else.
    As a test, will mail send via an Eircom/Emobile/Meteor connection? (you will have to change the outgoing mail server to mail1.eircom.net)
    I live on the side of a mountain. I only get internet access (including e-mail) via three. Metoer, eircom, vodafone, etc. do not cover my area and i've had them out a few times to check. So no chance of testing on another outgoing connection.
    Do you have a gmail account?
    Yes.
    Can you try sending the mail using your gmail account (you'll need your gmail user/pass and the gmail outgoing mail server settings).
    I can send it via g-mail, but as said above i use y eircom account for personal mail between myself and close friends and family. Not to say i could not use g-mail, but i use it (g-mail) for everything else including Boards.ie notificatinos, and other such stuff where i'd receive hundreds of mail a day. So when i see something come in on my eircom i know it's important.

Plus, and no disrespect, using another account is an easy/obvious solution. I'd like to try and resolve this issue if i can.
    [/QUOTE]

Hi there,

You have misunderstood my email. I am not suggesting you send the mail using your gmail address.

My suggestion sends your eircom email through the gmail outgoing mail server (instead of Three Ireland). To do this you need to be authenticated/allowed by the gmail servers using a gmail account.

The email is still sent from your eircom account but through the gmail outgoing mail server.

The suggestion would confirm if it's a Three Ireland issue be it a configuration issue with your client or with the Three Ireland server.

Good luck with your problem and I hope you get it sorted.

Regards,

@ Eircom.Alan - Yup. All those are set correctly. I'll try the contact via eircom.

@ Project Moose - Ah, got ya now. I've no idea how to do that. I'm not exactly tech savvy. Did not know it could even be done. Any ideas on how i go aboutt that? I see above you said i need my g-mail outgoing server settings. Where/how would i find them?

• Advertisement

Kinda fumbling my way through this.

I found the settings for my gmail. It's "smtp.gmail.com" and port 465. I changed the outgoing server settings and tried it. It porgrssed further than before whereby it actually said:
    "Sending 1 of 1".

It then stopped after about 2 minutes saying:
    "Error, the operation has timed out waiting for a response from the sending (smtp) server. If you continue to get this meessage contact the system administrator.".

So it's a step on, but not quite there yet.

Contacted eircom and no help, at all.

Because i have to use a third party server to send outgoing mail (eircom has not, and will not run broadband service to my area due to excessive cost, and low return as it's a low population density) eircom cannot test the line. Wish i'd known that before calling.

Only advice i was given was to check my settings (done) and then contact three. So it's off to three we go (again as i've already checked that the settings are correct).

Hi Cass,

Make sure your Gmail account is setup for POP access.
    Log into your gmail account via a web browser. Go to Settings (Cog wheel top right of page) and in the heading "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" make sure POP is enabled. If not, enable and click save.

Next set the settings for the outgoing mail server. I don't have the settings to hand but I think they are:
    smtp.gmail.com
    SSL/TLS
    Require Sign In
    Username: FULL GMAIL EMAIL e.g. joe@bloggs.com
    Pass: your password.

Sin e.

Let me know how you get on.

Btw, obviously make sure you have internet access on the device you're trying to fix up. Amazing how many times I've spent on a phone helping someone and they had no internet! (and I was silly enough not to ask!) :s

Regards

Done all that and no dice.

However i got a reply from three. Something about an issue with Office365. Seems it may not be my fault or my settings, but an issue with a third party.

Just have to wait and see. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

Hi ProjectMoose

Thanks for all the advice provided, If you don't mind I'll take note of all that for future reference

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

@Cass, that response from Three Ireland sounds a bit suspect. I'm not at my PC at the moment but I'll double check the settings later and revert with the exact settings for Outlook. I'll post back later.

Hi Cass,

Here are the settings I have. These only relate to the outgoing mail server. Leave the incoming as per the Eircom settings.

When setting up the email account in Outlook, select More Settings, ensure that the "My outgoing server SMTP requires authentication" is checked/enabled.
    Change to "Log on using" and enter the UserName/Password for your Gmail account (remember to use your full address e.g. joe@bloggs.com)
    Leave Require Secure Password Authentication  (SPA) unchecked.

Click onto the Advanced tab.
    make sure the Outgoing server (SMTP) port is 465 and "Use the following type of encrypted connection" is SSL.
    That's it.
    Leave any other settings as default.

My Eircom email sends fine using above settings.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Edit: Gmail have added an extra step for as a security measure. They call it "Allowing less secure apps to access your account", aka Outlook!

In addition to making sure your Gmail account is enabled for POP, click the link below and follow the instructions to enable "Allow less secure apps"

Allowing less secure apps to access your account (GMAIL)

Above seems like a lot but once setup, it works a treat. You can use similar settings on other devices such as your tablet or phone so you can send your Eircom emails through the Google mail servers, independently of what Internet Provider you use.

Just done that and we have ignition.

You're a genius. Seriously. You've managed to answer and solve a problem two others could not even identify.

Thank you so much, and doubly so as the above can now be used on a family members tablet that was having the same issue with eircom/outlook.

Thanks again for going through all the trouble. Much appreciated.

No bother. Someone on boards.ie helped me many moons ago with the same problem. Glad I was able to help.

You can of course switch back to Three Ireland if you wish, but you're best to use the gmail server. :)

No bother. Someone on boards.ie helped me many moons ago with the same problem. Glad I was able to help.

You can of course switch back to Three Ireland if you wish, but you're best to use the gmail server. :)
    excellent stuff above Reyansh Big Interpreter

Thanks very much

Al

Advertisement