Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for 3 bed semi home alarm system

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I’m just starting to do some research in getting an alarm system installed in my house in Arklow, Co Wicklow. I’ve been reading through some threads here and looking up a couple of different sites, but there’s a lot of information to take in and I’m getting a little bit lost, so looking for advice.

The house was built in the late 70s, so isn’t pre-wired for an alarm so I guess that means I should only be looking at wireless options and ignoring wired or hybrid?

At the moment there’s a cheapo Yale DIY job in place using a panel / keypad at the front door, an external siren and a handful of motion and door sensors. I’m looking for the new system to have a separate panel to the keypad, to have a good iphone app, key fobs, panic buttons, pet-sensitive sensors (we have a large german shepherd), and the ability to arm the perimeter at night when we are at home. I have not decided yet if I want to pay for monitoring or if I would be just happy with self-monitoring / notifications. Further down the list of priorities, but still important, is that the keypad is unobtrusive and aesthetically pleasing (or at least neutral!), and preferably touchscreen.

My (limited and probably incorrect) understanding of the industry is that you’ve got the big guys like Phone Watch who install their own proprietary systems, and then you’ve got smaller independent installers (which would be mostly your good selves) who install a range of different products. Of the products available the most common (because the suppliers are Irish companies so easier to deal with?) are GSD and HKC, with other systems being Siemens, Risco and more.

If the above understanding is accurate, I’ve got a couple of questions –

1) I’ve discounted Phone Watch, but I am looking at Securigard, who I understand would be similar to Phone Watch? They seem to have plenty of recommendations in the press and various awards, and their touch screen pin pad looks like the nicest I’ve seen, but I haven’t heard much more of the system they use – Tyco Visonics. Any feedback on Securigard or any areas of major weakness to their systems?

2) GSD – I guess it would be the i70 wireless panel I’d be getting. This seems to be integrated with the keypad so the panel would be installed by the front door? Is there a separate keypad available?

3) HKC – I’ve read some of the recent issues on this forum with their service so I’ve sort of gone off them (I have iphones / ipads so the Android problems wouldn’t have been an issue for me, but still not a good indicator of service). Plus if I do opt for monitoring I wouldn’t want to also have to continue to pay a sub for their app.

4) Risco – I like the look of the LightSYS 2 system, but the brand doesn’t seem to be widely available / advertised here. Is it just a case of trying to find an installer familiar with it? And am I risking unneccesary headaches if I use a system other than HKC / GSD?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated, guys. I’ll be arranging some quotes in the next week or so, but just want to have some knowledge in advance.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Plus if I do opt for monitoring I wouldn’t want to also have to continue to pay a sub for their app.

You do not need a HKC App to have a HKC system monitored.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Branoic wrote: »

1) I’ve discounted Phone Watch, but I am looking at Securigard, who I understand would be similar to Phone Watch? They seem to have plenty of recommendations in the press and various awards, and their touch screen pin pad looks like the nicest I’ve seen, but I haven’t heard much more of the system they use – Tyco Visonics. Any feedback on Securigard or any areas of major weakness to their systems?

With the likes of Phonewatch you will be tied to their service forever & you can't switch to another provider.
    Stick with an independent company and an independent brand. It will give you much more options.
    2) GSD – I guess it would be the i70 wireless panel I’d be getting. This seems to be integrated with the keypad so the panel would be installed by the front door? Is there a separate keypad available?
    There are separate keypads available.The issue of the all in one unit at the front door is not as big a risk as the Phonewatch systems that have been discussed in the media recently. Using their app you are sure of a notification no matter what happens the panel.
    3) HKC – I’ve read some of the recent issues on this forum with their service so I’ve sort of gone off them (I have iphones / ipads so the Android problems wouldn’t have been an issue for me, but still not a good indicator of service). Plus if I do opt for monitoring I wouldn’t want to also have to continue to pay a sub for their app.
    They are the only ones charging for apps & charging to use the app. You can have monitoring without the app. But, unlike other brands, you can never use the app without tying yourself into subscriptions.
    4) Risco – I like the look of the LightSYS 2 system, but the brand doesn’t seem to be widely available / advertised here. Is it just a case of trying to find an installer familiar with it? And am I risking unneccesary headaches if I use a system other than HKC / GSD?
    Risco is a very large brand in the wireless industry. A very reliable panel ,I find,with some very nice keypads & nice features. Shop around & you will find plenty of installers for the system you want. Be wary of installers wanting you to install the system they want. Most professional installation company's would be recommending multiple systems. No one system suits every application or everyone's needs.
    Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated, guys. I’ll be arranging some quotes in the next week or so, but just want to have some knowledge in advance.

Thanks

Get at least 3 quotes & insist on a site visit to ensure everything is covered.
    Get a full system design proposal/quotation in writing showing everything that covered & included. Much better than getting any nasty extra surprises later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

thanks for the above. I've had one installer come and quote today and the system he would be recommending was UTC with a Simon XT panel.

Any feedback on that tech?

Price was €840 for -
    panel
    working wired outside bell
    3 door contact sensors
    5 window shock sensors
    Keyfob / panic button

(package was €699 but I needed a couple of extra window and door sensors)

Monitoring is €15 a month via landline. €20 via landline & GSM but GSM module is €150.

How does this sound?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the monitoring via central station with a monitoring & maintenance contact?
    If its with a full maintenance contract covering all call outs and labour then its good value. If its just monitoring its a bit dear.
    Was there any option of apps & remote access with this system.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is the monitoring via central station with a monitoring & maintenance contact?
    If its with a full maintenance contract covering all call outs and labour then its good value. If its just monitoring its a bit dear.
    Was there any option of apps & remote access with this system.?

Its monitoring with a central station, plus a yearly maintenance call out, and two year warranty on parts and labour.

I asked about an app and there isn't one with this UTC system, but the installer didn't seem to think there was any real need for an app unless you had CCTV you wanted to check. He also does a lot of HTC installs but says that for the cost of the app it doesn't really do a lot.

He asked me what I was looking for the app to do, and I didn't really have a good answer for him as I'm not familiar with what they *can* do, just seemed like a good thing to have, plus it appealed to my geek side. What would I be missing out on by not having an app?

• Advertisement

He seems like he is more interested in what he wants to install, rather that what you want or need.
    What can an app do?
    It can notify you of alarms, alerts faults etc.
    You can arm , disarm the system remotely.
    You can view & check open zones etc.You can isolate any zones or other faults causing issues etc.
    In most cases all this can be done with no additional running costs once its set up. Most people who use apps now would not have CCTV or cameras on it so I'm a bit confused by his statement there.

Monitoring & maintenance covering one yearly call out is not great value in my opinion. If he misses something on that call or doesn't find/fix a fault correctly you have to pay him to come back??
    A good maintenance & monitoring contract should all call outs and labour IMO. There is more of an incentive on the installer to get it right every time.
    Like most things a two year warranty is a sales feature. There are rarely problems within that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Don't bother with the Simon xt panel. Its not designed for use over here.
    He sounds like he just wants a quick install.
    HKC or Risco would be my choice. I haven't used the GSD i70 but at least they finally put the smash and crash feature onto it.

Advertisement