Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

hello

I got a letter today telling me  that I being upgraded to efibre and upgrades are due to be competed in my area by arpil 24th and to phone before x date to get my upgrade before that date in April

the letter also says there is no charge and will not effect the terms of my existing contract.

Dose mean that  that I am no longer required to sign up to Direct debit and also no longer need to sign new 18 month contract ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jos22 wrote: »
    hello

I got a letter today telling me that I being upgraded to efibre and upgrades are due to be competed in my area by arpil 24th and to phone before x date to get my upgrade before that date in April

the letter also says there is no charge and will not effect the terms of my existing contract.

Dose mean that that I am no longer required to sign up to Direct debit and also no longer need to sign new 18 month contract ?
    Hi jos22

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Thank you for your post

There is no charge for the upgrade in terms of connection, engineer works and equipment. The standard eFibre contract duration is 18 months which is a new contract. Your existing ADSL contract will be unaffected meaning there will be no cancellation fee of it if should you upgrade to efibre in the existing contract period. An 18 month contract applies to efibre broadband and a cease of service within this would incur early cease penalties. I can also confirm that with efibre the account number changes to a new efibre account number.

Direct debit is a mandatory condition in the provision of efibre, again the terms of your existing contract are unaffected in terms that no cancellation fee would apply but with efibre you enter a new contract which has it's own contract terms and conditions.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Watch out for this. 

That letter makes it sound like they are upgrading your line to the new efibre without any 18 month contract. At no point in the letter does it say 18 month contract and when an eircom guy called me to ask did I want it installed I asked him three times was it a new contract I was entering into and he said it wasn't.

I have already logged my issue with eircom. Very underhand tactics used to lure customers into long term contracts

17larsson wrote: »
    Watch out for this. 

That letter makes it sound like they are upgrading your line to the new efibre without any 18 month contract. At no point in the letter does it say 18 month contract and when an eircom guy called me to ask did I want it installed I asked him three times was it a new contract I was entering into and he said it wasn't.

I have already logged my issue with eircom. Very underhand tactics used to lure customers into long term contracts
    Hi 17larsson

I understand your concerns here.

I've done my best to provide clarity on the issue above and I can also assure you that the contract is made specifically clear before signing up to efibre. I have however forwarded your feedback to operations for future consideration in wording of letters.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

Watch out for this. 

it is an other letter for the bin then,  when I read"will not effect the terms of my existing contract."

I took that to mean I could continue to pay the bill every two months at the post office as agreed by my existing contract and not sign a new 18 month contract.

thanks for info Alan, but Eircom should make it clear in the letters that it is indeed new contact and requires Direct debit. both of which  I would consider a change to an existing contract.

Watch out for this. 

it is an other letter for the bin then,  when I read"will not effect the terms of my existing contract."

I took that to mean I could continue to pay the bill every two months at the post office as agreed by my existing contract and not sign a new 18 month contract.

thanks for info Alan, but Eircom should make it clear in the letters that it is indeed new contact and requires Direct debit. both of which  I would consider a change to an existing contract.
    Hi jos22

I understand your feeling on this - apologies for the confusion caused. I ahve already added your feedback to my reports and if there's anything else I can help with please let me know.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Got a call from eircom yesterday, and presuming the call was genuine, the guy told me I could get new efibre b/band on my present billing arrangement without going d/debit. :confused:

chinwag wrote: »
    Got a call from eircom yesterday, and presuming the call was genuine, the guy told me I could get new efibre b/band on my present billing arrangement without going d/debit. :confused:
    Hi chinwag

That's odd as Direct debit is a condition of efibre service,did you sign up?

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

chinwag wrote: »
    Hi chinwag

That's odd as Direct debit is a condition of efibre service,did you sign up?

Thanks
    Al
    No Al, not yet anyway, although it's the way to go eventually. They can be quite pushy trying to get you to sign up, especially yesterday. Strange that he assured me that d/d wouldn't be necessary if I chose the b/b only. Could you throw any further light on this?
    Edited after I realised that Al is the eircom rep here!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Watch out for this. 

Alan said that he will make eircom aware of the issue with the wording of the letter but it is worded precisely as they would want it! It makes it sound like there is no new contract being entered into and that is what they want you to think.

Can I ask what is the time period from entering this 'new contract' that it is possible to cancel for free. I would assume eircom wouldn't be deceitful enough to wait until after this time period to get back to me about my issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

My mother got this same letter and follow up phone call last week. The chap on the phone assured her that she could continue paying as she does in the post office. She went ahead with the upgrade and had everything installed yesterday but if as you say DD is a requirement for efibre, then that is very deceiving of Eircoms staff making these phone calls. If indeed DD is required, then she will be cancelling her service with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

I wander have they changed the policy of DD only then for some customers, 

this is the letter I got attached

Watch out for this. 

Alan said that he will make eircom aware of the issue with the wording of the letter but it is worded precisely as they would want it! It makes it sound like there is no new contract being entered into and that is what they want you to think.

Can I ask what is the time period from entering this 'new contract' that it is possible to cancel for free. I would assume eircom wouldn't be deceitful enough to wait until after this time period to get back to me about my issue
    Hi 17larsson

There is a 14 day cooling off period which begins from the day you order efibre

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paul1111

I got the same letter as jos22 today. Presuming eircom engineers aren't going to kick my door down to install eFibre, can I simply ignore this letter and carry on with the plain old broadband I have now? :)

paul1111 wrote: »
    I got the same letter as jos22 today. Presuming eircom engineers aren't going to kick my door down to install eFibre, can I simply ignore this letter and carry on with the plain old broadband I have now? :)
    Hi paul1111

Yes, there is no obligation to avail of the efibre upgrade and you can indeed continue with normal service.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Watch out for this. 

Hi 17larsson

Thanks
    Al
    "14 days from the day you order efibre"! Surely, that should be 14 days from the day it's installed? If I ordered today and it's installed in 15 days, and I'm not happy with it on Day 1, what use is that so-called cooling off period?

leck wrote: »
    Watch out for this.

it is an other letter for the bin then, when I read"will not effect the terms of my existing contract."

thanks for info Alan, but Eircom should make it clear in the letters that it is indeed new contact and requires Direct debit. both of which I would consider a change to an existing contract.

Hi 17larsson

Thanks
    Al
    "14 days from the day you order efibre"! Surely, that should be 14 days from the day it's installed? If I ordered today and it's installed in 15 days, and I'm not happy with it on Day 1, what use is that so-called cooling off period?
    Hi leck

As I advised, It's from when you ordered. This is fully compliant with the industry regulations.

If you have concerns about this cooling off period you are free to raise concerns to the compliance regulator on 1890 229668

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paul1111

Hi paul1111

Yes, there is no obligation to avail of the efibre upgrade and you can indeed continue with normal service.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al :)

For the record, eircom really should change its letter; saying 'You Are Being Upgraded' is almost a threat, hence my reference to kicking down the front door! :)

Hi paul1111

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al :)

For the record, eircom really should change its letter; saying 'You Are Being Upgraded' is almost a threat, hence my reference to kicking down the front door! :)
    Completely understand your views here paul1111

Sorry for the cause for concern - I'll make sure your feedback reaches operations :)

Al

Advertisement