Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light gaming build - €700

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for something I can dp some gaming on, with an eye to upgradeability. The case and PSU ought to last a long time, so I don't mind spending disproportionately on them to get something that can move with me.

1. What is your budget? 700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, streaming and internet surfing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Not really

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] I'd like wireless built in.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Probably not, unless it's idiot proof.

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Week or two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

check out the likes of Asus desktops as well as Lenovo. A suitable DELL Alienware machine for your spec would likely exceed 700. Personally Steer clear of HP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    check out the likes of Asus desktops as well as Lenovo. A suitable DELL Alienware machine for your spec would likely exceed 700. Personally Steer clear of HP.
    I'd like something upgradeable, and I'd like something made out of decent components. I've never seen anything from Asus or Lenovo with a good GFX card or power supply in anything like that price range. :(

(thanks for the suggestion though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'd like something upgradeable, and I'd like something made out of decent components. I've never seen anything from Asus or Lenovo with a good GFX card or power supply in anything like that price range. :(

(thanks for the suggestion though!)

Best to custom build. Get used to geizhals.de discount site. And buy from hardwareversand.de

Check reviews of nanoxia deep silence 3 case.

Will try spec up one in a bit.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Record try get windows from reddit. Will save a good few. Should be about 20 euro

• Advertisement

Cpu I5 4660

Mobo a h81 not decided which one exactly yet.

Ram Crucial Ballistix
    ram 8gb

Hdd Western digital 1tb.

Case nanoxia deep silence 3 maybe cheaper Antec one if we need to bring cost down, still a great case.

Psu Thermaltake Berlin 630 w . Maybe, Depending on if you want amd or nivida graphics.

Gpu nvidia gtx 960 or amd r9 280x, possibly r9 280 if we need to get cost lower.

I done a build up for you earlier, with similar parts above came to just 700. Now that depends on windows being got from reddit. Anyway will talk more about it tomorrow. Above is rough draft

If it helps, I've no intention of ever water-cooling anything, and I'd like a quiet computer if possible, so that might be a factor in the case selection. I'd also be inclined to skimp a little bit on the GFX card, with a view to changing it in a couple of years.

I had a go - it's coming in a bit above where I'd like to be, but I want to be future-proof to some degree and I'm not sure where I can reasonably cut back. I've gone for the 'built' option so I don't make a balls of it. No hard drive there because I think I can use a 1TB one I have from old PC.

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box 189,99 €

Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX 87,99 €

8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 61,18 €

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 WindForce 2X OC mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 2GB GDDR5 163,13 €

be quiet! PURE POWER L8 500W 65,71 €

Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm) 91,99 €

Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netzteil 68,96 €

LG DH18NS schwarz bare SATA II 11,55 €

Rechner - Zusammenbau 29,99 €

Total: 770.49 ex delivery and Windows.

I had a go - it's coming in a bit above where I'd like to be, but I want to be future-proof to some degree and I'm not sure where I can reasonably cut back. I've gone for the 'built' option so I don't make a balls of it. No hard drive there because I think I can use a 1TB one I have from old PC.

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box 189,99 €

Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX 87,99 €

8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 61,18 €

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 WindForce 2X OC mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 2GB GDDR5 163,13 €

be quiet! PURE POWER L8 500W 65,71 €

Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm) 91,99 €

Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netzteil 68,96 €

LG DH18NS schwarz bare SATA II 11,55 €

Rechner - Zusammenbau 29,99 €

Total: 770.49 ex delivery and Windows.

Use geizhals.De discount site with hardwareversand.de. Will knock a few euro off overall build.

Swap psu be quiet system power 7 500. Slightly cheaper.

Use geizhals.De discount site with hardwareversand.de. Will knock a few euro off overall build.

Swap psu be quiet system power 7 500. Slightly cheaper.
    Nothing clashing with anything obvious there? Not a ticking bomb...? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nothing clashing with anything obvious there? Not a ticking bomb...? :)

No it's a fully compatible build. Do you know anyone local who could build it for you, save €30?

*edit A H81 motherboard is cheaper too, once it has LGA 1150 slot its good

Right, order placed through Geizhals for 754,13 EUR including delivery.

Now - getting Windows from Reddit: can anyone tell me exactly how that works? I'm thinking of Windows 7 rather than 8.1 I think. Call me a luddite...

Right, order placed through Geizhals for 754,13 EUR including delivery.

Now - getting Windows from Reddit: can anyone tell me exactly how that works? I'm thinking of Windows 7 rather than 8.1 I think. Call me a luddite...

The guys on reddit buy developer keys from MS in massive bulk and sell them back to chumps like us for €20 a pop, instead of the €160 odd that M$ want for them.
    Technically we shouldn't be using these keys, it's as legal as piracy, but MS don't seem to care and the products work fully.

There's a good few sellers, here's the guy I used

Just so you are fully aware, Windows 7 will not be supporting directx 12.

As far as I know windows 8.1 get a free upgrade to windows 10.

There's two versions sold by the redditors (cringe)

Using 7 Pro as an example

Windows 7 Pro
    Windows 7 Pro N

The first one (No N) gets the free W10 upgrade. Same applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 N

Advertisement