Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri shorts/top or tri suit?

Options
  • 19-03-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I am thinking the first would be better as it would be handier for duathlons.
    Do people wear these under the wetsuit?
    After taking off the wetsuit are you wet and vulnerable to the cold?
    I think I would prefer my shoulders to be covered in case of sunburn.

Very few ordinary sports shops seem to stock these. I have looked online at a few places but very hard to get anything decent for around 50/60 eur.
    Would these be any good?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/basket
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/trisuits/speedo-tri-comp-singlet.html

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

wore one peice up to laste last summer when i switched to a shorts/top combo for a half. preferred the two piece, will probably wear it for nearly all races this year. might wear the one piece for the pool based tri as won't have the wetsuit for the swim, and the two peice might drag

you wear the top under the wetsuit so no difference to the one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see the dhb top and shorts on wiggle are reasonably cheap too. A lot of sites have a poor selection re sizes. I guess it is a demand thing.

After taking off the wetsuit would you put on an extra layer for the bike? I believe you can't pull off a top and change as no bare chest allowed. Just thinking how cold it would be on the bike with a wet tri top on.

wrong time of year, new range for the summer jsut coming in now. have a look on gottarun.ie, the orca 226 gear is very good and what i use.

if you think you'll be cold put a cycling jersey on over the tri top. decision to do that has no bearing on whether you use a two piece or all in one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you're carrying a few pounds you won't thank yourself for buying a 2pc rig :)

Don't forget you'll warm up pretty fast on the bike and likely be looking to remove layers not add layers, and also have you ever tried to put on a skin-tight cycling jersey onto wet skin? May as well sit down for a sandwich in transition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Speedos and a crop top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    Speedos and a crop top.

And a bandanna, don't forget the bandanna!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Wore a full suit for all last season.
    Changing to a 2 piece this year and buying the Zone3 2 piece kit.

tunney wrote: »
    Speedos and a crop top.

think faris finally copyrighted that look

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I prefer a 2 piece kit, mostly because I'm different sizes top and bottom and the shelf bras that come in women's one pieces are way too small.

With the 2 pieces, on the bike will the top ride up your back leaving you vulnerable to sunburn or chaffing?
    I see some tops are longer at the back like cycling tops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've always had a one piece. For the step up to IM, I'm going with a two piece. There's not really much difference, I'm going two piece for IM for obvious reason of portaloo stops. No need for that in sprint/oly (IME)

With the 2 pieces, on the bike will the top ride up your back leaving you vulnerable to sunburn or chaffing?
    I see some tops are longer at the back like cycling tops.

you're very worried about sunburn

let me point out.....

it's ireland....

you seem more comfortable with the idea of a one peice. unless you're doing HIM/IM toilet breaks probably aren't an issue, so just go with the one piece

No I would prefer to go with the 2 piece as I could use the bottom half for duathlons etc. I just want to research it properly before paying out 70eur or so for something I may not wear that often.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

2 piece is more expensive than 1 piece but allows more flexibility.

Tri shorts can be used again and again and again. I use shorts for turbo sessions and brick runs so not just for racing. The tops you can mix it around depending on the race conditions.

Wear a base layer next to skin and you can change the tops anyway you want in tranisiton. Short sleeve, long sleeve, cycle top if doing Gaelforce type events, and so on.

No I would prefer to go with the 2 piece as I could use the bottom half for duathlons etc. I just want to research it properly before paying out 70eur or so for something I may not wear that often.
    Thanks

70 euro will not get you a good two piece.

I prefer two pieces and have loads of them. (note I no longer ware them) However if you have not got visible abs get a one piece. If not visible abs chances are you are alot chunkier than you accept and will look a state. Blunt but I wish I stopped wearing mine sooner based on photos.

Here is a review I found for the dhb range. It is mixed but the tri shorts chamois is well rated.
    http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2015/03/16/gear-review-dhb-triathlon-kit

Here is a review I found for the dhb range. It is mixed but the tri shorts chamois is well rated.
    http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2015/03/16/gear-review-dhb-triathlon-kit

If you need a chamois then you aren't riding hard enough.......

Advertisement