Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know Pointer28

Options
  • 19-03-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Getting to Know.... Pointer28
    Thanks for all the questions :D
    Nice to be able to tell some stories without the traditional sigh and "we heard that before"

So now to hard over

1. how many bikes do you have,
    2. where did the name come from
    3. What's the big target this year and long term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Cheers BennyMul, prepare to be underwhelmed :o

1. how many bikes do you have,

I have one road bike (Felt Z100) and one hybrid that's about 3 sizes too big for me and weighs the same as a small lorry, lent it to a cousin about 2 years ago and wouldn't be too bothered if it never came back.

2. where did the name come from

When I first got into the whole internet forum thing, training gundogs was my thing and I had a Pointer, I was also 28. Not today, or yesterday either.

3. What's the big target this year and long term.

This year is looking like a bit of a washout TBH, nothing entered yet and not going to enter anything anytime soon either. Moving house in a fortnight so every cent is heading in that direction for now.

Will probably jump into a few small races at short notice during the year like the Rosslare 10k, Blackstairs Adventure Race and the nearest thing to a goal race is Killarney Adventure Race in the autumn. The only thing I've actually committed to for the year is the Ring of Kerry charity cycle that a bunch of non-cycling friends are doing for charity and asked me to join in. I'm the non-official training adviser and bike mechanic for the group, simply because I own a track pump and a pair of bib shorts :rolleyes:

Long term target is Powerman Zofingen and I'd also love to do The Pig Duathlon in Wales, have actually been offered a seat in a car and a shared room through a friend of a friend for this year but can't decide what to do. One side says "be sensible and forget about racing for the year", the other side says "screw it, you only regret what you didn't do".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Favourite flavour of icecream?
    Favourite tri related toy?
    Biggest sporting achievement?
    What got you into tri?
    Hills or flat, which suits you best (run and bike)?
    Sports nutrition: what do you eat while racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

What's your favourite run route?
    What's your favourite Cycle route?
    Where do you OW Swim - Usually/ Favourite place?
    Shoes on the bike or ground in transition?
    What do you eat/ drink too much of that you shouldn't?
    What should you eat but you don't?

Hi Oryx,

Favourite flavour of ice cream?

Ooooh, tough one, don't think I've ever tasted ice cream that I didn't like. There's a local shop that does stuff with weird names like Poor Bear's Surprise or something, but if I could only ever have one again it would be Rum and Raisin.

Favourite tri related toy?

Don't really only too many toys at the moment. Other than my bike, I have a Garmin 410 and use Trainer Road a lot, so I suppose TR is my favourite at the moment. If times were different I'd love all the toys, treadmill, Kickr, Garmin 810, 920, Fenix and a power meter.

Biggest sporting achievement?

I actually won a two day HM stage race two years ago but I don't count that as there was only three of us did the two days, one of whom was, shall we say, in a different age group and the other was wearing a knee brace.

My proudest moment was probably the first time I ever ran 20 minutes non-stop during the C25K plan that got me started.

What got you into tri?

Spent the first 34 years of my life as obese and lazy, so started the C25K a little over 3 years ago and fell in love with running. I always used my bike as a form of transport when we were kids, and also always loved just even looking at bikes, so bought myself something semi decent a few years ago. Running + biking = Duathlon so that's how I got interested in that. Endurance would be more my thing than speed and I love the idea of a challenging course, flat and fast on a poster is a huge turn off for me.

Hills or flat, which suits you best (run and bike)?

I'm equally crap at both, but I prefer hills. I love riding and running in the hills and trails. I don't care about pace when I'm doing it, hard is hard and what the watch says is irrelevant. Where I live now is more or less completely flat, so I get quite bored running along flat canal paths all the time, but every now and again I'll jump in the car and drive to the Slieve Blooms which is beautiful for running. I love the idea of ultra running but haven't gotten around to doing any yet. Funnily enough I'd rather do a hilly 50k than a flat marathon.

Sports nutrition: what do you eat while racing?

Still working on that one! Rice cakes aren't working out as intended but it's my intention to be self sufficient in that area and I think they could work well if I got the recipe right, easy to eat, easy on the stomach and healthy compared to processed crap.

At the moment if I'm carrying my nutrition on a long bike I'll bring a banana and whatever cheap chocolate bars I pick up in Lidl. If I stop en route, it's a coffee and scone or some other cake.

Hi Podge,

What's your favourite run route?

The Slieve Bloom way from Clonaslee to Cadamstown, proper off road running, tracks, trails, streams, fallen trees, deer, goats and fantastic views. Love it but don't get to do it too often.

The Raven is lovely and Carrigbyrne Woods too. When I'm in Rosslare though, it's usually just out and backs on the Wexford Road.

What's your favourite Cycle route?

At the moment, while I have regular routes, there's nothing around me that I really love. I don't bring my bike to Wexford that often but when I do I want to cycle the Killurin road to Mount Leinster and parts of Kilkenny look fantastic too. My plan for the next time I'm down for a few days is to throw the bike in the car, get out in Carlow and ride to Rosslare via Graiguenamanagh while the GF drives on without me.

Where do you OW Swim - Usually/ Favourite place?

Can't swim unfortunately! Absolutely zero co-ordination.

Have done about 10 lessons and still can't manage a stroke. I only did the usual group lessons and while it's not all the instructors fault, I never once got the impression they had any interest in what they were doing.

I hope to get a few private lessons sometime and give it a proper stab and if that still doesn't work I'll have to throw my hat at it.

Shoes on the bike or ground in transition?

On the ground (shameful I know) but I'm never in contention for a prize so the extra few seconds doesn't mean anything to me. Plus, depends on the transition area, the last race I did was horrible sharp gravel and would have been torture in just socks.

What do you eat/ drink too much of that you shouldn't?

Everything :D Biscuits are probably my biggest weakness so working hard to cut down on them. Bread is a bitch, I find that 2 slices a day is more than enough but if I'm home alone and need a handy lunch or on the road it's usually a sandwich that does the job. Coffee too, could make a large cafetiere of black coffee and drink it single handedly in one sitting. Bought a fancy capsule machine to force me to cut back as it's too expensive to drink a lot of it.

What should you eat but you don't?

It's not that I don't eat them but I could do with upping my ratio of healthy things like fruit, vegetables, fish, eggs, porridge etc and lowering the ratio of sugar and carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Pointer! :)

So, just how obese were you at your peak?
    What inspired you to start the C25K three years ago?
    Have you ever done a marathon? If so, which one and what was your time? If not, have you any interest in doing one?
    10 swim lessons and can't manage a stroke?? Oh, you definitely need to get private lessons! Do you think you might do that in 2015?
    Do your bikes have names?
    Most embarrassing moment while training or in a race?
    How did you meet your girlfriend?
    Have you ever visited the States? If so, where...and how did you find it?
    You were such the gentleman at Ballyhoura...which makes me wonder, do you typically open the car door for women/your girlfriend?
    How long did it take you to catch up to BTH, catweazle and career move at Ballyhoura after Oryx and I cut you free?
    Have you any tattoos? If so, where and of what?
    If I hopped in your car right now, what would be playing on the radio?
    I gather you live alone? If so, what kind of housekeeper are you?

Hi DD! :)

So, just how obese were you at your peak?

I'm now 68 kgs with another couple of kgs to lose, at my worst I was 96 kgs. To put that into context, my waist has gone from 36" to 30", my suit size from 44 to 38, and my shirt size from 17.5 to 15 slim. Thankfully my legs haven't got any shorter though.

What inspired you to start the C25K three years ago?

To be completely honest, I can't rightly remember, glad I did it though. Original intention was to do it once and that would be it, kinda like a lot of marathon one and done'rs, but once I hit the 5k mark I just kept going and never looked back.

Have you ever done a marathon? If so, which one and what was your time?

Not yet, entered DCM 2013, but DNS with hamstring issues. Followed a JD training plan and tried to do it based on my target times rather than on my abilities. Half way through I ran a big HM PB straight into a 90k week with no recovery and it all went downhill from there. I did the Athlone 3/4 Mara a couple of weeks later and ended up walking the last 10k.

If not, have you any interest in doing one?

Probably will some time, but the idea just doesn't excite me that much, more of a box ticking exercise truth be told. I'd much prefer something epic like the Zugspitz Ultratrail, even if it's only the short route (35k). Very nearly entered Donadea this year and still can't remember why I didn't, might do next year.

10 swim lessons and can't manage a stroke?? Oh, you definitely need to get private lessons! Do you think you might do that in 2015?

Unlikely in 2015, present home is only a 10 min walk from the pool, new house will be a 30 min drive so it's way down the list of priorities at the moment. I will be right beside the Shannon though.

Do your bikes have names?

Not really, my GF often refers to my bike as the other woman, so it's been christened Felicity as it's a Felt.

Most embarrassing moment while training or in a race?

I can't think of anything really, some of the finish times might be a bit shocking but never pooped myself or anything like that.

Have you ever visited the States? If so, where...and how did you find it?

Was in West Palm Beach, Florida for a week a couple of years ago and hated it. I was working at a large equestrian event and the differences were shocking. On one side you were surrounded by billionaires (household names) and on the other side were the guys doing all the work who hadn't a seat in their pants. Went to Walmart one day and couldn't get over the queue of people wanting to use the invalid carriages, I felt like giving them a kick and saying "you're not an invalid, you're just f'ing lazy". The food was crap too, don't think I laid eyes on a vegetable all week. The whole place was just a really bad example of all the worst American stereotypes.

That doesn't mean that I think it's a fair representation of the entire USA though, I'd love to see small town USA and the mountainous areas. I read a book called "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson about the Appallachian trail and it sounds amazing.

You were such the gentleman at Ballyhoura...which makes me wonder, do you typically open the car door for women/your girlfriend?

Car door? No, to be honest, but I'd always hold a door open for anyone coming behind me, male or female. Basic manners don't cost anything.

How long did it take you to catch up to BTH, catweazle and career move at Ballyhoura after Oryx and I cut you free?

Not very long as they were waiting at the next junction, but once we got moving again they left me for dust.

Have you any tattoos? If so, where and of what?

Nope, sorry, often thought about it but never went anywhere with it.

If I hopped in your car right now, what would be playing on the radio?

Most likely Pink Floyd, closely followed by Pearl Jam, both far too loud to be healthy.

I gather you live alone? If so, what kind of housekeeper are you?

No, shacked up with aforementioned GF. Dreadful housekeeper, can do the simple jobs like washing up, loading the washing machine, hoovering, mowing the lawn etc etc. but apparently I'm useless at dusting and still don't know what these "cobwebs" are that she's always moaning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi Pointer

How happy were you when you were asked to do this?
    What's your favourite book?
    Which character from a book would you like to be?
    Which character from a book are you most like?
    You're quite famous in the showjumping world as a course builder. What was your favourite course to build?
    How did you get in to course building?
    Did you like school? What were your favourite and least favourite subjects?
    When you were a kid what did you say when people asked "what do you want to be when you grow up"?
    Did you go to college? If yes what did you study and did you like it?
    If you could go back and relive any part of your life what part would you choose?
    Have you ever done jury duty?
    If you were on the jury in the trial of OJ Simpson would you have found him innocent or guilty?
    If you were the judge in the Oscar Pistorius case what sentence would you give him?
    What do you think of men who date women 20 years younger than them?
    Would your opinion be different if it was the man who was 20 years younger than the woman?
    Which do you prefer and why? Cats or dogs, blondes or brunettes, Dory or Oryx?
    What kind of car do you drive?
    What kind of car would you like to drive?
    How long can you hold a side plank one leg raised for, after reading this?
    What's the most annoying thing about boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Hi Pointer

You're quite famous in the showjumping world as a course builder. What was your favourite course to build?
    When you were a kid what did you say when people asked "what do you want to be when you grow up"?
    If you could go back and relive any part of your life what part would you choose?
    If you were on the jury in the trial of OJ Simpson would you have found him innocent or guilty?
    If you were the judge in the Oscar Pistorius case what sentence would you give him?
    Would your opinion be different if it was the man who was 20 years younger than the woman?

I'm glad you didn't ask me any questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

Jesus pointer your are like my Doppelgänger.

Nutella or Jam?

• Advertisement

Podge83 wrote: »
    I'm glad you didn't ask me any questions!!

I was busy that week :D

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi DD! :)

I'd love to see small town USA and the mountainous areas. I read a book called "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson about the Appallachian trail and it sounds amazing.

Then you must come see me! I live in a very small town nestled between the Blue Ridge and Massanutten Mountains, and the Appalachian Trail passes right by my back door! (not kidding) And "A Walk in the Woods" is a very good book, as are many others he has written!!
    Hi Pointer

:eek: Puts me to shame! ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    as are all the others he has written!!)

FYP

You should read "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", fantastic stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'll be back with more later, but where on the shannon are you moving to? (Asking as i can look over the shannon out my bedroom window)

Hi CM!

Happy enough to help out but surprised that so many people have any interest in what I'm doing considering some of the athletes on here and their feats over the years. Must be no-one else left :rolleyes:

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson, I'm a huge fan of all his books.

Toughest question so far, never really a huge fan of fiction so I don't know what to say. Love reading books about Tom Crean and Shackleton etc so while their real people rather than a character, that's who I'd most like to be.

I say Batman, but SWMBO says Atticus Finch, don't give up until I get what I'm after. Haven't read the book so can't comment.

Not quite sure of the question here, do you mean favourite arena or favourite type of competition? None of the arenas I've built in thus far have blown me away, too many dull and featureless sand arenas in this country because of the climate. If I could choose anywhere that I haven't already been in it would be Aachen or Spruce Meadows. Favourite type of competition has and will always be Grand Prix and Nations Cup but have never done a NC.

Was asked to help out at a show years ago just picking up poles, got chatting to the course designer and it all got started from there.

No, hated it, spent however many years ticking off the calendar until it was over. Favourite subject was maths, just came easy to me. Least favourite was PE, because A) I was lazy B) I was crap at any sport that required the least bit or co-ordination or skill eg hurling, football, rugby.

A farmer, was going to take over my Grandfather's 9 acres next to the castle in Ballagh.

Never went.

Jeez, this could take a while.
    Study harder in school, go to college, get a decent career. Don't quit my good job and move half way across the country to chase a silly dream job with horses.

No, was called once but didn't get selected.

I can't remember the details of the case but from what I can recall, probably guilty.

Life sentence, murder is murder, just because he's disabled doesn't make him any less of a murderer.

Lucky B*stards. Nah, only kidding, if they're both happy then what about it but it can sometimes smack a bit of desperation. I read something recently that as women age, then their ideal partner also ages, but as men age their ideal partner will always be 19.

As above, if they're both happy then fire away, once no-one is taking advantage of the other.

Dogs
    Brunettes, but have a soft spot for redheads.
    Both equally awesome, but Oryx is from Wexford which is where all the best people come from.

05 Chevrolet Nubira, I'd have to look out the window if you asked me the reg. Have no interest in cars, buy something cheap, drive it 'til it dies, buy something else cheap. Best car I ever had was a Peugeot Partner van, could fire anything in the back and take off camping or biking or anything else you fancied. Sold it to a guy around the corner from you, probably still on the go, 07 WX reg, winey kind of colour.

Something understated, would have to be an estate with a towbar, room for bikes etc. Big Volvo or Audi maybe.

You're presuming I can do one!

Some of the bitching and fighting on other forums is really disappointing, the AR forum used to be fantastic and now it's like a ghost town.

Hi Mr Tony Stark, or should I say Iron Man?

Nutella or Jam?

Depends on time of day, for breakfast Jam or Marmite on toast.

Mid afternoon snack, Nutella on rice cakes.

Hi Mossym,

Where on the shannon are you moving to?

A little village near Lanesborough, Co. Longford called Newtowncashel. I have been house sitting down there every September for the past few years and always liked it, a house became available around the corner recently so we decided to jump at the chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi Mossym,

Where on the shannon are you moving to?

A little village near Lanesborough, Co. Longford called Newtowncashel. I have been house sitting down there every September for the past few years and always liked it, a house became available around the corner recently so we decided to jump at the chance.

no peeing in the river now, think of us downstream..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Very surprised to see you have no concrete plans for any racing, you're training like a dervish with a lot of structure to the sessions!

Not for the purists but have you tried a swim manual like Total Immersion - that's how I got started

Favorite Movie?
    Favorite Scene from a movie?
    One race at the Olympics to attend - what would you pick?
    3 Sports personalities that you admire and why?
    Dream Date (besides the girlfriend of course)
    Are you a Renua fan?
    Do you think Horse Racing gets too much state money?

Very surprised to see you have no concrete plans for any racing, you're training like a dervish with a lot of structure to the sessions!

I'll pick up a few races during the year but they'll probably mostly be last minute entries. I'd really love to do a proper LD duathlon but there are none in Ireland and even something like The Pig in Wales, even though it's only £80 entry, once you add in ferries, B&B, petrol, tolls, boarding kennels for the dogs etc it stills all adds up.

I'm thinking a couple of Multisport AR's will have to scratch my itch for this year so it will probably be Killarney AR as my A race and the Blackstairs AR as a short term goal.

As well as that, I enjoy the training for it's own sake, especially a good solid run session.

Not for the purists but have you tried a swim manual like Total Immersion - that's how I got started

No I haven't but you're the second person that's mentioned that to me. One guy told me he learned to swim entirely through youtube and apparently he wasn't too bad a swimmer either.

Favorite Movie?

The Godfather, have seen it numerous times and every time it comes on the TV I end up watching it again.

Favorite Scene from a movie?

The Godfather, Michael and Fredo are in a Casino in Cuba and Michael realises that Fredo has betrayed him, he says nothing but his eyes say it all.

One race at the Olympics to attend - what would you pick?

Not a race but up until very recently I would have said the Showjumping Finals. Now, I'm not so sure, I think the Marathon is probably the one race that I see as capturing the whole Olympic spirit better than any other event.

3 Sports personalities that you admire and why?

Padraig Harrington, coming back from a horrendous 7 years when everyone thought he was done for was just amazing, lots of others would have thrown in the towel years ago, and apparently a very nice guy too.

Bertram Allen, showjumper from Wexford. I've been watching him riding ponies since he was ten years old and he's just a super talent and a very pleasant young man. He's 19 this year, ranked in the World Top 20 and leading the World Cup rankings, placed highly in last year's European Championships and won numerous competitions at the very highest level. When he was still on ponies (under 16) he won Team and Individual medals on back to back years, and then won medals as a Junior as well (under 18). While he does have some money behind him and could buy some decent horses, he never bought anything ready-made and has had to do all the groundwork himself.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, great snooker player that struggles greatly with his inner chimp. When the man's on fire he's just unbelievable, I watched him in a final last year and he just knocked in a 147 with seemingly no effort and the ref could hardly get the balls out of the pockets quick enough for him. Fragile and fallible but that almost makes me like him more.

Dream Date (besides the girlfriend of course)

Helle Frederiksen, I just listened to an interview with her this morning on my run, and as well as being oh-so-easy on the eye, she's also a smart cookie and a straight talker. And did I mention she's easy on the eye. :D

Are you a Renua fan?

Not so far, their public appearances have been horrendous and they don't seem to have any idea what they're doing. Maybe that will change with time but I don't think Lucinda Creighton has the experience to lead a successful party, maybe if she had done another few years with FG she would be better placed but I think the competition will run circles around her come election time. But as long as they take some votes away from SF they will serve some purpose.

Do you think Horse Racing gets too much state money?

First of all, showjumping is my sport rather than horse racing but I do have a small knowledge of racing.

When you look at the big names in racing like the Magniers, McManus, O'Leary it's easy to think that they don't need state support, but you have to realise that they are only the very privileged few at the very top and often times didn't make their money from horses. What they do support though is a truly massive industry in rural Ireland. For such a small country we punch way above our weight in terms of Racing (and Showjumping), whether you're talking about trainers, jockeys, breeders whatever, we are unbelievably talented for such a small gene pool.

Put it another way, should the state support a sport like racing that we're good at and provides massive employment or should they support a sport like soccer that we've never been good at and unlikely to be anytime soon and doesn't provide a fraction of the employment.

• Advertisement

Hi pointer! A few more questions, if you don't mind. :)

What are your pet peeves?
    What are some of your annoying habits?
    What is your biggest vice?
    If you could change one thing about your looks and/or personality, what would it/they be, and why?
    Are you a morning person or a night owl?
    Tea or coffee?
    Life of the party or wall flower?
    Is there a song or a tv show that you'd go to your grave denying you are familiar with, but in reality you secretly enjoy?
    How are you on the dance floor?
    Do you sing? Or play a musical instrument?
    Dream job, and why?
    Besides our little T/D/AR forum, what other boards' forums do you frequent?
    How connected to your cell phone are you?
    Have you ever had your toenails painted?
    What would your perfect weekend look like?

Hi DD, a little healthy competition between yourself and CM for toughest questions?

What are your pet peeves?

People who don't do a job to the best of their abilities. I have no problem if somebody forgets to do something or makes a mistake. But, if you make the same mistake more than a couple of times or don't bother looking at a job when it's finished and correcting any faults, that's just laziness. The house I'm moving out of shortly is a perfect example, everything in the place is done arseways, there's not a straight line or level spot anywhere. FFS, it's doesn't take much time or money to use a plumb line or a level.

What are some of your annoying habits?

Related to the above, I'd be bordering (maybe even more than bordering) on OCD, so everything I do has to be just right and this can really annoy other people.

What is your biggest vice?

Peanut butter, or coffee.

If you could change one thing about your looks and/or personality, what would it/they be, and why?

Looks I'm not bothered about, no horrible disfigurements and I am what I am, maybe lose the bit of a belly but that's it. Personality is a different matter altogether, suffered from crippling shyness my entire life to the point of really holding me back both professionally and socially. I'm actually good at what I do but when it comes to networking or making contacts which are needed to progress, I'm hopeless. I think I'm quite a pleasant person if you meet me alone or in a very small group, but any more than a handful of people and I complete withdraw within myself and go very quiet. I'm aware of it and hate the fact, but I can't help it and all that bothers me is that people might think I'm being intentionally rude.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?

Morning person definitely, think nothing of getting up at 3 am if I had to but I'll be falling asleep on the sofa at 10 pm most nights. I love doing anything in the morning with the sun coming up, it's such an uplifting time of the day whereas I find the evenings to be quite depressing when the sun is going down.

Tea or coffee?

Coffee, but trying to drink less of it. Not doing too bad at home, 2 cups a day but when I'm out and about, especially driving, I drink far too much. I drink lots of tea as well, Rooibos this weather but it's a poor relative and only do it to cut down on caffeine intake.

Life of the party or wall flower?

I'll give you two guesses! Complete wall flower, so much so that I never go to pubs or night clubs any more. I get so withdrawn and anxious that it looks like I'm a complete pr1ck so I just make a polite excuse and avoid social occasions like that. I would have loved to meet all the Boards crew in Dublin but I just couldn't face it.

Is there a song or a tv show that you'd go to your grave denying you are familiar with, but in reality you secretly enjoy?

A German girl won the Eurovision a couple of years ago with some sort of bubbly pop song that is the complete antithesis of everything I like, but I just couldn't stop tapping my foot to it. Can't remember her name or the song though.

How are you on the dance floor?

I can hardly stand upright, let alone dance.

Do you sing? Or play a musical instrument?

Neither, bought a guitar years ago with great intentions, and just sold it last week as it was just gathering dust in the attic. I would love to play the guitar well though.

Dream job, and why?

If you asked me this ten years ago I would have said that getting paid for your hobby was a dream job, but I've been there and done that, and then your hobby becomes a job and no longer something you enjoy. From this point forward I'm of the "work to live" persuasion whereas I used to "live to work".

In all honesty, I would probably go for something boring with a good wage and easy hours so I had time to enjoy my life.

Besides our little T/D/AR forum, what other boards' forums do you frequent?

I used to frequent AR a lot but I can't face it recently, there's so many great people gone from there and so much bickering which is a huge pity as a couple of years ago it was a great source of knowledge and support. I browse the cycling forum regularly as well as Aviation and Farming & Forestry.

How connected to your cell phone are you?

Not at all, sits on top of the TV most of the time and you'd be lucky if I bothered to check the missed calls and got back to you. Only bring it on the bike in case I need rescuing but it's always on silent. Who ever is looking for me can wait.

Have you ever had your toenails painted?

No

What would your perfect weekend look like?

A trip to the bike shop with a very large wad of cash! No, probably something simple like a nice country hotel in beautiful scenery or even a city trip. We went to Munich and Stuttgart two years ago and it was a lovely trip so would love to go back, with herself, of course.

Nice questions Dory ;) Here's some more from me ...

What's your favourite fruit?
    If you were a vegetable what would you be?
    What food do you cook most?
    What's your favourite film?
    How many times have you watched Dirty Dancing?
    What's your guilty pleasure?
    Tell us something about yourself that no one would guess
    How do you go about building a course?
    What's the biggest jump you've built?
    Who on the AR forum would you like to punch?
    Where are you going to do your marathon?
    What's your favourite and least favourite run sessions?

Hi CM, definitely a bit of one upmanship between yourself and DD!

What's your favourite fruit?

Pink Lady apples would be my favourite but I would eat more Bananas than anything else, they seem to satisfy a hunger more than any other fruit.

If you were a vegetable what would you be?

An ugli fruit :D

What food do you cook most?

I'm well able to cook once it's not anything fancy, ie meat and two veg etc. If I'm home alone it would probably just be Pasta with Pesto or something.

What's your favourite film?

The Godfather

How many times have you watched Dirty Dancing?

Never intentionally, the sister seemed to have it on constant repeat when it came out first and I hate the sight or sound of it now.

What's your guilty pleasure?

I do enjoy a good cigar once in a very blue moon, very rarely though, literally can't remember the last time, good ones are hard to come by and expensive and bad ones are horrible, and pointless.

Tell us something about yourself that no one would guess

I had a real phobia of horses up until I was about 23.

How do you go about building a course?

Get a scale drawing of the arena, usually through Google earth.
    Transfer the layout of the arena to Microsoft Visio (CAD type program)
    On Visio, start with the most important parts of the course like combinations, related distances etc depending on quality of the class, number of competitors, prize fund etc.
    Pick a jump off (if necessary)
    When I get to the actual arena, I usually start with just poles, lay them where the fences are going, measure all the distances, measure the length of the course and then walk the course as if I were going to ride it on a horse and watch out for external influences eg band stands or something that might spook a horse and effect the competition.
    When all this is done, bring in the wings and build the fences.
    Stand in the rain and get soaked while the horses jump.
    Get fed terrible food that the dog would turn their nose up at.
    Collect a ridiculously small cheque and go home.
    Lots more finer details, but that's the basics.

What's the biggest jump you've built?

No idea, most wings only go up to 1.65m and I hate anything to do with Puissance. Plus, jumps can ride bigger or smaller than the tape measure tells you depending on a lot of factors such as ground conditions, pole length, colour, fillers, towards or away from the gate, what comes before or after it, the list if endless. You could build two fences beside each other identical on the tape measure which will ride completely differently.

Who on the AR forum would you like to punch?

Nobody, only ever met a few and all very pleasant.

Where are you going to do your marathon?

Haven't thought about it too much. Very nearly entered Frankfurt last year but didn't bother in the end. If I could it would be a trail marathon, maybe Stone Mad or something. Could very easily go through life having never run one.

What's your favourite and least favourite run sessions?

Least favourite - Long Slow Runs, not the time or distance, just the boredom kills me, would rather do a long run with a few intervals just to break the monotony.

Favourite - LT intervals, love that hard but doable effort that really feels like you're going somewhere and getting fitter.

Is this it????? :D

That's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oh my god! I came one to ask you a few questions Pointer but is there anything left to ask you!! I will mull on it later and get back to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Who is more annoying CM or Dory? :p
    How many push upscan ups can you do to fail?
    What is 4x4+4x4+4-4x4?

Hi Shotgunmcos,

Who is more annoying CM or Dory?

Nah, they're both grand, it's all a bit of craic.

How many push ups can you do to fail?

20, and that took some effort.

What is 4x4+4x4+4-4x4?

That would be an ecumenical matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How's it going pointer,

Any plans on getting a tt bike?? Money no object what bike would you have??

Your best race to date??

Advertisement