Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FORUM Connemara

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok so what is going on? Can you break it down for us that do not know what this FORUM group does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I'm not 100% up to speed on ALL of their services Biko, there was a meeting I couldn't attend due to family commitments.

FORUM Connemara would be a local development company, they use funding in the area for such things as meals on wheels, a day care bus based out of Clifden when brings senior citizens to social activities. They provide adult literacy classes, various other classes as well. I think they are involved in the Rural Social Scheme too, where unemployed people get a little extra money for, one example I can think of locally was cleaning up beaches.

They would be a great outfit to go to if you had an idea for a new business as well, not sure if they provide funding directly but they'd know who to go to and having been built up over 25 years they'd know the ins and outs of helping people get established, build up the right contacts and that sort of thing.

Late last year, in conjunction with Teagasc they ran an Options course based in Letterfrack. Options is a course for farmers who are looking to diversify into other business to supplement their farm income. I attended that course and they had speakers like Connemara Smokehouse, Castlemine Farm, Connemara Hill Lamb, a Teagasc forestry rep and Organics rep, local beekeeper etc. It was actually quite valuable to me, as I now have three viable ideas for local businesses.

Another farming related course was the Green Cert, again in conjunction with Teagasc they ran it locally when the other option for farmers would be routine travel to east Galway or Westport.

I suppose you could say they are there to assist people to better themselves in many ways, through adult learning, the business side, working in conjunction with Social Protection etc.

It's run all by local staff, which is a major plus not just in this area but any local area as it is easier to create trust, particularly with the adult literacy side of things which potentially can be a difficult situation for the people who need that service.

As I said in the OP I am not involved other than occasionally availing of their services, and I really do feel if we lose out local development company, if there's another put in place they will not run the same level of services as they won't be local. Historically Connemara would be an unemployment blackspot so I believe it's critical to keep FORUM Connemara going.

Now, as to what happened. Some counties, such as I think Mayo and Cork, have multiple "lots", basically areas that different companies can operate in. Galway, unfortunately chose that this county should only have one lot for the SICAP programme, meaning only one company. I have heard the LDC in east Galway didn't want Connemara, to their credit IMO, but the decision to have one lot seems to have been forced on us all. Even looking geographically at the county it makes sense to me to split Galway into two lots and keep the two companies gong in their respective areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

This is their website which has an update on the situation, will probably explain the problem better than my very laymans attempt above :o

http://www.forumconnemara.ie/

Advertisement