Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016: Leath maith tús na hoibre

• 19-03-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭

A simple plan – be consistent

I’ve toyed with the idea of setting up a training log here for the past number of years but something always stopped me. Not really sure still if this is for me but here goes for now anyway:

A bit of background – 47 year old female (in years only – in my head I’m hovering somewhere between late 20’s early 30’s :rolleyes:).I spent my early years dancing, my 20’s and early 30’s burning the candle merrily at both ends around the music scene (great fun & brilliant times but absolutely no exercise) and the rest of my 30’s was taken up with having 3 great kids.

My OH did DCM in 2000 and was trying to get me to run at that stage – I did a little that summer but got pregnant with kiddie no 1 then and stopped. Had two more kids and ran a little between pregnancies but nothing much. Emerged from the fog of pregnancies/early childhood sleep deprivation to find myself in my 40’s, unfit, a bit overweight and needing something to ‘sort my head out’ so got the runners out again and started running in March 2009. I naively did my first half in Achill that July on very little training – pure pain fest :o but had to finish as the kids expected it. Since then I’ve completed 13 half and 4 full marathons and did Donadea 50k in February.

Up to now everything I’ve done has been at the same (very)slow pace. I was trying to come up with a plan to get me from Donadea to DCM but found myself getting tied up in knots looking at some of the complicated work others are doing. Having listened to wise words elsewhere I think that I still have a lot to gain simply by being consistent. I’m in one of those crazy phases of life at the moment – full time job, three kids who are all involved invarious activities but are still young enough to need you with them and some community activities which invariably come with having kids and living in acommunity !

I’ve been bad at being consistent up to this. Did well in December/January and was starting to feel the benefits but came down with a bad chest infection directly after Donadea (started coughing that night) which sidelined me for 3 weeks after that.

Ultimately I am aiming for DCM but hope to target a half or10k in June/July if I can find one that suits – my marathon pb is 4.29 and my half is 2.10. I am aiming to eventually go under 2 for the half and to get as close as possible to 4 for the marathon. My plan, for now, is a simple one – be consistent.

I am trying out the log to see if it makes me more consistent (shame me into it really). I welcome any comments/advice etc

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give a background –intend to be a lot more sparse from now on.

Wednesday – cycle to work am – 6.5 miles

Run home – 6.5 miles (1.02)

Thursday – Lunchtime run along the canal – 5.2miles – forgot watch so no time
    Will be cycling home in a while - 6.5 miles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

That's an impressive start, do you run with others?
    Best of luck with the log,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

P_Fitz wrote: »
    That's an impressive start, do you run with others?
    Best of luck with the log,

No, I generally run on my own - up to now I've used my lunch breaks mainly but found I was not getting enough miles in. Started cycling to work last Sept & finally copped on that it was just about near enough (timewise) to run in so have been doing that quite a bit. Have to commute anyway so I find it handy not to be taking time out of family stuff. Think it would push me to run with others but haven't managed it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

great stuff.

Apart from DCM do you have any intermediate goals?

What would a typical training week for you look like? (miles and paces)

Would you consider jumping in and doing a club session. (Even one night a week) I can think of 3 clubs in your radius that would be perfect for you.

great stuff.

Apart from DCM do you have any intermediate goals?

What would a typical training week for you look like? (miles and paces)

Would you consider jumping in and doing a club session. (Even one night a week) I can think of 3 clubs in your radius that would be perfect for you.

I'd like to target either a 10k or a half in June or July but all weekends in June are taken up with family stuff (80th birthday, 2 kids birthdays & a wedding !) - away down west for July & August so I'm looking for something down that direction at the moment.

Very hard to put down what a typical week would be - I've been that inconsistent. Up to November it would have been 3/4 lunchtime runs - same 5.2 mile route, same easy pace & a long run typically 12/15 miles at some stage at the weekend. Upped it for December & January when I started running to work & would have done 2 single commutes e.g. cycle in Monday & run home, run in Wed & cycle home & two double days where I'd run in & out and then a long run at the weekend which went up to marathon distance in Jan. That was exceptional though & I was beginning to see the benefits of that consistency. I suppose I'm a bit aimless really :o

Would like to try a club session but am really caught up with kids activities Mon, Tues & Wed and when I'm out at work all day I don't like to disappear again as soon as I'm home. They're still young enough to want to tell you about their day etc & their Dad is usually with them in the afternoons & he is ready to disappear for a while as soon as I am in. Think I need a lunchtime club !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck with the log and the training, kit3. Your times are close enough to my own... I'm very impressed that you did Donadea, the whole 50k?!

I will follow with interest, my bet is consistency will really pay off for you.

The Clearlier plan on the 2014 graduates thread is very good and not complicated, if you haven't come across it. Helped LauraAc win the Bohermeen sweepstakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You have a great attitude so I know you'll take lumps out of a 2 hr half and a 50 min 10k.

annapr wrote: »
    Good luck with the log and the training, kit3. Your times are close enough to my own... I'm very impressed that you did Donadea, the whole 50k?!

I will follow with interest, my bet is consistency will really pay off for you.

The Clearlier plan on the 2014 graduates thread is very good and not complicated, if you haven't come across it. Helped LauraAc win the Bohermeen sweepstakes!

Thanks Anna. Donadea - what can I say ? First off, it's a really special event, fantastic organisation, atmosphere and a beautiful run. The best I could say about me this year is that I finished it ! I kinda fell into it by accident really - was supposed to be doing DCM but ended up sick for 3 weeks beforehand & couldn't do it. Ultraman1 very kindly (& generously) entered me in Donadea although I knew I wouldn't make the 5 hour cut off. I thought going into it that I'd be about 5.15 or thereabouts but on the day felt bad from the first lap. Found 9 out of the 10 laps very tough mentally but absolutely loved the final one - suppose I knew I'd make it at that stage ! One thing it taught me is that I'm able to tough it out when it's not easy - the mental game is a big part of it. Would love to go back next year & do justice to it but will only do so if I get a good marathon time in the meantime & feel I can finish inside the cut off - unfinished business :rolleyes: Will have a look at that thread - thanks for the recommendation.

tunguska wrote: »
    You have a great attitude so I know you'll take lumps out of a 2 hr half and a 50 min 10k.

Ha - don't know about taking lumps ! Thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi Kit, good luck with the log! There are quite a few 10 km around Ballina, Crossmolina and one in Belmullet in July/ August( you could borrow a boat!) is that too far for you? Let me know if you want dates. They are evening races. Nice enough routes.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi Kit, good luck with the log! There are quite a few 10 km around Ballina, Crossmolina and one in Belmullet in July/ August( you could borrow a boat!) is that too far for you? Let me know if you want dates. They are evening races. Nice enough routes.

Thanks for that Sam - will check out dates & get back to you - in Achill for the summer but have to be in Donegal the weekend of the first half & 10k that's on in July & will be back in Dublin by the time the second one is on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Best of luck with the log kit, will follow with interest. My half time before bohermeen was very similar (2:13) to yours and as you've said for yourself I think consistency was a big thing for me. Are you intending to follow a particular plan at all? I only kept an eye on it as I've been following the clearlier plan but would you look at the continuity thread ecoli had going for a while? It might help you add some speed work to the easy miles if you can't make it to any club sessions. Good luck with it all.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log kit, will follow with interest. My half time before bohermeen was very similar (2:13) to yours and as you've said for yourself I think consistency was a big thing for me. Are you intending to follow a particular plan at all? I only kept an eye on it as I've been following the clearlier plan but would you look at the continuity thread ecoli had going for a while? It might help you add some speed work to the easy miles if you can't make it to any club sessions. Good luck with it all.

Thanks Laura - yes, was going to have a look at the continuity plan alright - would have tried it from the beginning but thought I'd be better just upping the mileage for Donadea. Going to keep it fairly handy this week & next (after a 3 week layoff) & see where I go then.

That was some improvement - well done !

kit3 wrote: »
    Would like to try a club session but am really caught up with kids activities Mon, Tues & Wed and when I'm out at work all day I don't like to disappear again as soon as I'm home. They're still young enough to want to tell you about their day etc & their Dad is usually with them in the afternoons & he is ready to disappear for a while as soon as I am in. Think I need a lunchtime club !

Totally get that. I actually have made about 3 club sessions in the last 5 years so I'm not one to really talk :)

I'm lucky in that I have people to run with most lunch times and what's even better is that they vary in ability. Some are slower and some are faster so it's great in that I can plan on running hard with the fast guys (well guy actually there's only one faster than me ;)) and slow with the slow guys. Maybe you should post something in the training/meeting up thread on the main forum and see if anyone works close to you! Might be worth a shot.

Most clubs have a session on a Thursday, don't think you listed Thursday so maybe that could be an option? Totally understand the missing all day thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Get the kids to join the club! (if they're interested)

You're more experienced that I am kit3, but i definitely recommend joining a club. You'd be amazed how quicker you'd become, and having others to run with is great. Also, if you join a club you'll meet people in similar situations as yourself and want to run at different times.

P_Fitz wrote: »
    Get the kids to join the club! (if they're interested)

You're more experienced that I am kit3, but i definitely recommend joining a club. You'd be amazed how quicker you'd become, and having others to run with is great. Also, if you join a club you'll meet people in similar situations as yourself and want to run at different times.

Thanks - I do get what you're saying - as it happens, kiddie no 2 started with Tallaght on Monday - her session is early though 6pm & didn't see much other activity at that stage. She might end up going on a Thursday also but has school training on atm so don't want to overburden her. Will see how it all pans out - might be an option if she settles in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks - I do get what you're saying - as it happens, kiddie no 2 started with Tallaght on Monday - her session is early though 6pm & didn't see much other activity at that stage. She might end up going on a Thursday also but has school training on atm so don't want to overburden her. Will see how it all pans out - might be an option if she settles in there.

There are generally just easy runs on a Monday. There are a few groups but generally leave from the clubhouse at 6:15. Lots of the member use the kids training to do their own...

Welcome to the logs btw!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    There are generally just easy runs on a Monday. There are a few groups but generally leave from the clubhouse at 6:15. Lots of the member use the kids training to do their own...

Welcome to the logs btw!!

Thanks - will let her settle in first (would not let her on her own to begin with) and will suss it out then - might just work :)

Friday am - cycle to work - usually at a fair clip going in because I'm nearly always tight for time ! 6.5 miles

Friday lunchtime - usual run along the canal at a relaxed pace so was surprised to see 46.20 on the watch (good enough time for me). 5.2 miles

Friday pm - cycle home - 6.5 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Welcome to logs kit! You certainly sound like an expert juggler :) Best of luck with the goals, you're right: here is a great place to keep you honest and consistent...we'll crack the whip ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Welcome to logs kit! You certainly sound like an expert juggler :) Best of luck with the goals, you're right: here is a great place to keep you honest and consistent...we'll crack the whip ;)

Thanks - think it'll be a place to see where my excuses are - have gaps in my paper log & know that, at the time, I had reasons but can't remember what they were (excluding the odd word like sick or nose - my worst running injury :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great to see this log started kit3! Always encouraging to hear of other busy mummies able to juggle things to keep running!! Well done on the 50k, really hope to do it myself one day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thanks - think it'll be a place to see where my excuses are - have gaps in my paper log & know that, at the time, I had reasons but can't remember what they were (excluding the odd word like sick or nose - my worst running injury :rolleyes:)

Main advantage is that it'll reduce the gaps because you'll be thinking of what you're coming on here to write ;).

If you want to see what consistency can do for you, take a look at adrian522's log! At least I'm hoping to see some fraction of his improvements once I've done a few consistent months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You didn't attack Ultraman on his run today by any chance Kit ;)

TbL

You didn't attack Ultraman on his run today by any chance Kit ;)

TbL

Are you saying I'm an auld bat ???? :eek::cool:

No - he's not on my target list ;) Think he might be a target elsewhere though (not Duleek but somewhat similar ;) )

Just a quick update to keep this log alive - would be a pity for it to meet its demise in the first week :cool: Very little to update from a running perspective I'm afraid :o Crazy week in our house with two birthdays & 3 parties all in the space of 4 days.

Saturday am - some necessary cross training in the form of cleaning the house had to take priority but had decided to take a rest day in any case as I'm still easing into it. Saturday pm was spent with the eldest at his football match - hate 'away' matches as they take up a ridiculous amount of time - won a tight match by a point though so happy days

Sunday am - U9 girls football match; Sunday pm U12 girls football match. Had hoped to get out for a short run today but left it too late. Lesson learned - had originally intended getting up early & getting the run in before the first match (9.30) but had hit the leaba at 3.30am so hit the snooze button - mistake in hindsight as I didn't get another opportunity.

Monday am - cycle to work 6.5 miles - no lunchtime run - priority shopping for kiddie birthday on Tuesday
    Monday pm - cycle home - approx 7 miles or so - had to detour due to a rogue swan who was snapping at people & nearly got me on the way in - was too chicken to pass him in the end :o
    Tuesday - I work from home on a Tuesday & would normally get a run in but had the birthday girl with me so went out for the day with her followed by an evening party. First opportunity to go was at 10.30 & felt it was a bit late for a lone female to be wandering the streets.
    Wednesday am - Cycle to work - 6.5 miles
    Lunchtime - usual run along the canal. Felt good from the outset so just went with it - pace could be described as 'comfortable hard' for the first half (to turnaround), followed by a short 'comfortable' section before picking it up again for the rest of the run. Really happy with this. Think the only other time I felt this good on a run was the day I fell & broke my nose so I was extra careful to lift my feet on the final straight :rolleyes: 5.2 miles in 41.52 (a run that used to take me 60 minutes when I started out).

Wednesday pm - cycle home 6.5 miles

Thursday am - cycle to work 6.5 miles & will be cycling home in a while. No lunchtime run today - hit the leaba at 3.45am & was up again at 6.30 - will see how I am later but now am struggling to stay awake.

Am seeing a problem with a lack of a plan to follow so will try to nail something down from next week onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Well done on the lunchtime run - you're doing well to be still awake. Even if you can't get out to run this week at least the cycling is keeping you going.

kildaremum wrote: »
    Well done on the lunchtime run - you're doing well to be still awake. Even if you can't get out to run this week at least the cycling is keeping you going.

Yeah, the cycling keeps me ticking over although it's a frustrating week tbh, this needs to be more about running than cycling :o

do you mind me asking why you are heading to bed so late? Is it work/family related or lifestyle (drinking and fecking ;)) ?

do you mind me asking why you are heading to bed so late? Is it work/family related or lifestyle (drinking and fecking ;)) ?

I'm a night owl by nature but not usually that late nowadays although it would always be past midnight. Was out on Saturday (but driving - never managed to get the hang of drinking). Went down the road on Wednesday to hear two friends playing a gig with the intention of being back at about 11 because I'd promised my daughter I'd put some pictures into a project she had to have in school on Thursday. Got back at 1 & had major hassle finding the right family pictures (ended up thrawling through Facebook for them) so ended up taking a lot longer than I thought. In fairness, this is not a typical week - sitting here now with twelve 11 year olds partying around me & it's himself's birthday today too :)

• Advertisement

Back on track after a silly/crazy week on the domestic front last week!

Saturday - easy run in Corkagh Park - legs felt very heavy throughout - 3 miles in 30 minutes

Sunday - Corkagh park again - 6 miles in 57.42 - still fairly handy but legs felt much better. Fairly windy - nearly took me off my feet at one stage - good fun though. Wind reminds me of my Achill runs where it's almost always windy :rolleyes:

Monday am - Cycle to work 6.5 miles

Monday Lunchtime - Steady run along usual route on the canal - 5.2 miles in 42.51 - happy with this one, felt strong throughout (first soaking of the day)

Monday pm - Cycle home 6.5 miles - character building this one - mad wind & rain into my face the whole way & a bunch of gougers in a car threatening to have someone at the next bridge to rob my bag if I didn't sell them my bike ! (second soaking of the day)

Finished off Monday watching U14 football match (soaking & freezing no3) and walking the dog (soaking no 4).

Tuesday - Very easy loop from the house - 3 miles in 31.37 - legs a bit tired at the start but fine by the time I finished.

Had to search a bit to find this, it's so long since I updated !

Wed 1st Apr Lunchtime run on the canal - 5.2 miles in 45.30

Fri 3rd Apr Was in Cork with the kids visiting my Dad but sneaked out for a quick 30 min run - 3.5 miles

Sat 4th Apr - Same as Fri before hitting the road back to Dublin - 3.5 miles in 30 mins

Mon 6th Apr - Headed to Achill. Had hoped to get out for a run this evening when I landed but himself ran off fishing (tide was right and he came back with his first sea trout of the season which fed us all on Tuesday so was forgiven). The kids were so excited to be there again that they wanted to go everywhere & do everything at once. Hadn't the heart to refuse !

Tues 7th Apr - Got it into my head that it would be a good idea to run some of the hills seeing as I was in Achill - not such a good idea as it turned out. For anyone that knows Achill I headed from Dooagh towards Keem bay with the intention of going all the way to the beach & back. Quite a climb although I don't have a garmin so don't have any stats on it. Ran ok for about 10 mins but had to stop every 2 minutes or so after that on the way up to catch my breath. Probably a good thing I didn't have a hrm or it would have gone mad. By the time I reached the top and was looking at the downhill into the beach my calfs were screaming & I knew that if I continued the climb back out was worse than what I'd already done. Decided to cut my losses & run back down the way I came. Just 3 miles in 31.25. Lessons learnt here - I did this early in the morning & was straight into the climb. Reckon I'd have fared a bit better if I'd had a warmup on the flat. I realised that most of my runs are on the flat so will have to mix it up a bit.:(

Wed 8th Apr - 3.4 miles in 30 minutes around the sandybanks in Keel (grass covered area just behind the beach). Unfortunately the tide was in & the beach was not available to me (one of my favourite places to run :)). Legs feeling the effects of yesterday.

Thurs 9th Apr - handy 58 minutes in the sandybanks again - approximately 6.2 miles

Sat 11 Apr - had to leave a car back to Navan road so ran from there with a small loop in the Phoenix park though Chapelizod & Ballyfermot & along the canal to home. Legs protested at that hill in Ballyfermot (near the Fás building) as if to say 'you're not doing that to us again' but it was short & I got over it. Approx 8 miles in 1.25 door to door (forgot the watch so time includes a few stops at traffic lights but not too many). Felt tired towards the end but realised that I'd been up since 7.30 & had not eaten & I started running at 12.40 so that would probably account for that.

Mon 13 Apr - am - cycle to work - 6.5 miles
    Lunchtime - canal run - felt wrecked on this one for some reason. 5.2 miles in 45.17

pm - will be cycling home in a while 6.5 miles

Tues - mad busy day between work & home saw me on the go from 6.30 till almost midnight - no opportunity to run

Wed am - run to work - took this at a fairly handy pace as I was running home again later that day. Messed up with the watch on one section so had no official time but think I just dipped under the hour. Pleased with this as my easy pace for this run when I started running to work back in December would have been around 1.05/1.06 so seeing a bit of an improvement I think - 6.5 miles in 59-60 mins or so

Wed pm - run home from work - although the canal seems fairly flat there are a few drags on the way home & the wind always seems to be against me. Happy with how this went as it was my first double day in a while - 6.5 miles in 1.01

Thurs - worked from home this morning and nipped down to see my daughter running in a race for the school. Great initiative from South Dublin County Council who hold cross country races for all the schools in their area (Clondalkin, Tallaght, Lucan & North Clondalkin) & then bring them all together for a finals day. This is usually held at the track in Tallaght but they've outgrown that this year with 53 schools involved. Thurs was just the local schools. Great weather for it & great atmosphere with the top ten kids in each race getting points for their school.

Thurs lunchtime - cycle to work - 6.5 miles

Thurs pm - run home - took it very handy on this one as the legs were tired from Wed & the cycle in - 6.5 miles in 1.03

Fri am - run to work - nothing much to report on this one except it's a nice way to start the day - 6.5 miles in 1.02

Fri pm - cycle home - had to detour to avoid a mad swan who was perched in the middle of the canal path by Bluebell & was attacking anything that tried to go by it. It nearly got a cyclist coming towards me as I approached - jumped right up at him & nearly knocked him off the bike - he had to fend it off with the bike. I'm a chicken & went around :o- approx 7 miles

Sat - short run on a new tarmac track around the GAA pitch while I was waiting for my daughter's camogie match to start. Legs felt surprisingly good & I would have loved to keep going but ran out of time - about 3 miles in 27 minutes.

Not sure if I'll get out tomorrow as himself is off fishing overnight & I'm on match duty. Will see how the energy levels are when he gets back.

Happy enough with this week 34.2 miles. The three weeks I was sick after Donadea knocked me back but feel I am finally starting to build up a bit again. Will have to get something a bit longer in next week & definately need to be running to work somedays to have a chance of getting any kind of mileage in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Not sure if I'll get out tomorrow as himself is off fishing overnight .

Nice week..........but wat sort of a man leaves his burd at home while he plays with his rod .........(disregard unless he a full time fisherman and fishes with annette)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Nice week..........but wat sort of a man leaves his burd at home while he plays with his rod .........(disregard unless he a full time fisherman and fishes with annette)

It gets worse - he's only playing with annette but his full time job involves playing with a flute ;)

monday am Cycle to work 6.5 miles. Had hoped to get out at lunchtime but meeting over-ran so no time :(

Monday pm Cycle home (including detour to avoid that mad swan again - always seems to happen when I'm tight for time) approx 7 miles

Monday pm Had to bring my daughter to Tallaght for her running session so threw on the gear to run out that direction while I was waiting for her. Headed towards some fields behind the club, spotted a football pitch & thought I'd give Ecoli's diagonals a go. Was doing this from memory (read it a few months back) & thought it was 10/12 diagonals - it should have been 10/12 minutes at 5k pace. Did 15 minutes warm up, 12 diagonals jogging the side of the pitch each time as recovery & 15 minutes cool down.

First time doing something like this (feel all growed-up :cool:) - can feel the effect in my glutes tonight but enjoyed the change :)

Total I reckon about 5 miles in 43 mins (I don't possess a garmin so unless it can be mapped the distance will be approximate :o

• Advertisement

Fri pm - cycle home - had to detour to avoid a mad swan who was perched in the middle of the canal path by Bluebell & was attacking anything that tried to go by it. It nearly got a cyclist coming towards me as I approached - jumped right up at him & nearly knocked him off the bike - he had to fend it off with the bike. I'm a chicken & went around :o- approx 7 miles

Those mad swans would be a regular thing when I was living out in Parkwest. They would always be in the stretch of the canal between Parkwest and Clondalkin. I am a chicken too and they caused me to run a few extra miles in my day!!

Those mad swans would be a regular thing when I was living out in Parkwest. They would always be in the stretch of the canal between Parkwest and Clondalkin. I am a chicken too and they caused me to run a few extra miles in my day!!

There's one near Bluebell that's guarding a nest with 5 eggs in it. Seems to be no problem in the morning but it's in the middle of the path each evening & is actively going for people !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Try the Royal Canal sometime. Our swans are protective but not too aggressive (usually). :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Try the Royal Canal sometime. Our swans are protective but not too aggressive (usually). :)

Sounds like you have more refined swans there Murph - might add a few miles to my commute though (Clondalkin to town) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Northside swans being more refined than southside swans ? Seems suspicious.

Nice session yesterday, even if it was accidental...

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Northside swans being more refined than southside swans ? Seems suspicious.

Nice session yesterday, even if it was accidental...

Looking at it, it was probably just a bit longer than it should have been - back to the 'continuity thread' for me - will read it properly beforehand next time :rolleyes:

Time to catch up !

Tuesday - handy 3 miles in 27.xx

Wednesday - Had planned to run in & out of work but was exhausted when I got up for some reason. Ended up cycling in & out and no run - 6.5 miles each way.

Thursday - am - cycle to work - 6.5 miles
    - pm - run home - was tired throughout & glad when I was stopped at traffic lights so was surprised to see 1.00.46 on the watch.

Friday - am - run to work - 6.5 miles - felt strong throughout & was able to maintain a steady controlled pace. Delighted to see 57.39 on the watch considering that this used to take me 1.05/1.06 back in January.
    - pm - cycle home

Saturday - easy 4 miles - no watch

Sunday - early run in the Phoenix Park - had intended this to be a long one but copped on two miles in that I would be short on time (kids matches etc) and just did 5 miles instead. Glorious morning in the park - had to clear frost from the car before I could drive !

Monday - am - cycle to work

Lunchtime - usual canal run - felt nice & strong on this - 5.2 miles in 41.04. Think the best I've done on this route before is 41.52 so going in the right direction.

- pm - will be cycling home in a while.

Some observations - 30 miles last week - a little less than the week before but not by much. Definitely feel that the consistency is paying dividends but need to get the finger out & do a long run one of these days - seem to have a bit of a mental block about this at the moment for some reason :o

Why drive to the Phoenix park for LSR on a Sunday if stuck for time, when you could hit your local park? Run to it. You'd get 4-5 miles around the perimeter minimum. Then run home. Must take you 30 minutes travel time all in, getting to and from the Phoenix park.

Why drive to the Phoenix park for LSR on a Sunday if stuck for time, when you could hit your local park? Run to it. You'd get 4-5 miles around the perimeter minimum. Then run home. Must take you 30 minutes travel time all in, getting to and from the Phoenix park.

I know what you are saying makes sense - thing was it was too early & the local park would have been deserted at that time (about 7.30). I'm a bit nervous of it at that time. I generally stick to the main parts of the Phoenix Park at that time where there is passing traffic. Having said that, it was poor planning on my part - kinda copped that when I landed in the park & could have had 2/3 miles in :o

Edit- the more I think about it you're right. Need to make better use of limited time. Thanks :)

In the spirit of making the most of any available time I managed to get out early this morning for a short slow run along the canal. Beautiful bright morning. Legs fairly dead to begin with - a combination of a slightly faster than normal run at lunchtime yesterday & a ridiculous cycle home against a strong wind (that nearly killed me - would far rather have been running), but they had improved by the time I finished.

3.5 miles in 33.99 :rolleyes:

Wednesday am - run to work - 6.5 miles in 1.00.46 - can't really remember much about this one - was careful not to 'race myself' as this was the first of two

Wednesday pm - run home into the wind all the way - 6.5 miles in 1.07

Thursday - enforced rest day - home with sick kiddie

Friday am - cycle to work 6.5 miles

Friday lunchtime - short run along the canal - opposite direction to usual - 4 miles in 37.25

Friday pm - cycle home - 6.5 miles - dodgy swan at it again but I came along just as someone was using their bike as a shield to get it back in the water do I got past !

Saturday - early morning wet & windy run around Clondalkin - headed from the house but had to avoid the park (it was early & himself reckons it would be dodgy on my own at this stage too ). Happy with this one, had been finding it mentally hard to do anything remotely resembling a long run recently for some reason - did 10 miles in 1.41 - nice & handy and could have kept on going. This one reminded me that I like these runs once I clear the time to do them (if that makes sense). Soaked to the skin when I got back :)

Rest day tomorrow - got a slight niggle in my calf today that was ok when I stretched it out but want to rest it tomorrow to be sure (fingers crossed !)

Hey Kit,
    I see you have been asking for feedback so here goes!! It's very hard to give you feedback as It's difficult to know where you are and where you want to go.

My advice is to firstly do a race to get a baseline. Then we can tell you if you are doing your runs too fast or too slow, otherwise we are just guessing.
    Secondly pick a goal race somewhere down the line and pick a goal time based on your first race (aim to improve) then follow a proper structured plan to get there.

So, when are you racing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

[quote="menoscemo;95352669"

So, when are you racing?[/quote]
    30th may donadea forest...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    30th may donadea forest...

Did you not have enough of waiting for me in February :eek:

Be back to you later Meno - kiddie stuff going on here :)

Hey Kit,
    I see you have been asking for feedback so here goes!! It's very hard to give you feedback as It's difficult to know where you are and where you want to go.

My advice is to firstly do a race to get a baseline. Then we can tell you if you are doing your runs too fast or too slow, otherwise we are just guessing.
    Secondly pick a goal race somewhere down the line and pick a goal time based on your first race (aim to improve) then follow a proper structured plan to get there.

So, when are you racing?

Hey Meno, yeah can see what you mean - finding it hard to see where I should be myself. My goal later this year is DCM. PB is 4.29 so will be looking to go faster than that, ideally as close to 4 as possible but don't know what's realistic yet. Had originally hoped to do the Achill half in early July but it's the mil's 80th birthday that weekend so that's out. Would like to do a 10k in June - maybe Dunshaughlin if I can fit it in around family stuff although not set in that if I come across one that suits better time wise. Have never done a 10k !

Out of Dublin for most of July & August so it makes it a bit difficult to settle on races. Will do the race series half in Sept too.

Can totally see what you mean, though in needing to see where I am now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement