Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016: Leath maith tús na hoibre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You've got loads of time between now and DCM so I would concentrate on getting your 5-10k time down over the next few months.
    Even if it's only doing a parkrun in a few weeks then giving yourself 6-8 weeks to improve the time.

As long as you are running consistently (which you are) no need to get specific about DCM until about 10-12 weeks before it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

menoscemo wrote: »
    You've got loads of time between now and DCM so I would concentrate on getting your 5-10k time down over the next few months.
    Even if it's only doing a parkrun in a few weeks then giving yourself 6-8 weeks to improve the time.

As long as you are running consistently (which you are) no need to get specific about DCM until about 10-12 weeks before it IMO.

Thanks - I've never actually done a 5k or a 10k so that would be entirely new territory :)

If I was to do as you suggest what type of weekly mileage should I be aiming for ? Aiming for mid 30's atm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not sure where you live but you seem to be a bit nervous of running in parks early kit? Not sure if you have had bad experiences in the past but I wouldn't worry, the scumbags don't tend to be out early. I've been training earlier and earlier but often would have been running on deserted streets and a park (in Dundrum) at 7am, in the dark and never felt in any way nervous - don't bring music so you can hear noises and just relax. In all honesty, anything could happen at any time of the day.

If I were you, I'd bring my bike out some morning (or a dog if you have one) and visit the local parks you could run in. You'll see that it's fine and safe and there'll be a lot more walkers and runners out there than you'd expect at stupid o'clock.

kit3 wrote: »
    Thanks - I've never actually done a 5k or a 10k so that would be entirely new territory :)

If I was to do as you suggest what type of weekly mileage should I be aiming for ? Aiming for mid 30's atm

That mileage is fine, just maybe need a bit more structure.
    You can still get a good session into your runs into work/home from work. You don't have to do session on the track, canal path is fine!!

Just do a parkrun for example, get a time and give yourself x number of weeks to improve it. General structure would be 1 tempo run, 1 interval session/fartlek per week and the rest easy runs. But as I say it's hard to go anywhere until we know what time you can do. Would it be possible to nip up to Griffeen/Tymon one saturday soon to get a parkrun time?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Not sure where you live but you seem to be a bit nervous of running in parks early kit? Not sure if you have had bad experiences in the past but I wouldn't worry, the scumbags don't tend to be out early. I've been training earlier and earlier but often would have been running on deserted streets and a park (in Dundrum) at 7am, in the dark and never felt in any way nervous - don't bring music so you can hear noises and just relax. In all honesty, anything could happen at any time of the day.

If I were you, I'd bring my bike out some morning (or a dog if you have one) and visit the local parks you could run in. You'll see that it's fine and safe and there'll be a lot more walkers and runners out there than you'd expect at stupid o'clock.

She lives close to my local park. All women are on high alert in the area ;)

I'm in Clondalkin & would be wary of Corkagh park early - great idea though to check it out on the bike. Wouldn't have the same issue with the Phoenix park though because there is passing traffic. Takes a bit of time to drive there though so will either start running there or get up earlier !

That mileage is fine, just maybe need a bit more structure.
    You can still get a good session into your runs into work/home from work. You don't have to do session on the track, canal path is fine!!

Just do a parkrun for example, get a time and give yourself x number of weeks to improve it. General structure would be 1 tempo run, 1 interval session/fartlek per week and the rest easy runs. But as I say it's hard to go anywhere until we know what time you can do. Would it be possible to nip up to Griffeen/Tymon one saturday soon to get a parkrun time?

A parkrun would be perfect but have to bring my daughter swimming for 8.15 on a Saturday so that kinda messes that up - there's an odd weekend that that doesn't happen though so will try to get an opportunity

She lives close to my local park. All women are on high alert in the area ;)

Yeah, we heard there was a self confessed dirty bastard running around there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Any interest in doing the Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield in two weeks ? It's on the Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement

Any interest in doing the Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield in two weeks ? It's on the Tuesday evening.

Ordinarily I'd say yes but the youngest is making her communion the following Saturday so I'd say we might be up the walls -party in the house seems to necessitate the paint brushes coming out that week etc :rolleyes: Will keep it in mind though - thanks

Ordinarily I'd say yes but the youngest is making her communion the following Saturday so I'd say we might be up the walls -party in the house seems to necessitate the paint brushes coming out that week etc :rolleyes: Will keep it in mind though - thanks

Look you are going to have to prioritise here. Which is it? your family or your running?

In all seriousness if you can't make a race, could you test yourself out on a time-trial? Give yourself 8 weeks and then reassess over the same course....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

see what you did there by asking for advice ? You let them in. Now you'll never get rid of them...

Look you are going to have to prioritise here. Which is it? your family or your running?

In all seriousness if you can't make a race, could you test yourself out on a time-trial? Give yourself 8 weeks and then reassess over the same course....

Sorted - got the kids an annual pass to McD's - they can comfort eat for the year & won't have the energy to play sports :rolleyes: that would free up the time that 5 matches will take this weekend !

Seriously though, I'll either sort something over the next few weeks or do a time trial as you suggest.

PaulieC wrote: »
    see what you did there by asking for advice ? You let them in. Now you'll never get rid of them...

There are ways & means if I need rid - I've seen how it works on other logs ;)

Naw - they're most welcome as long as they behave :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

PaulieC wrote: »

is that like Tunguskan pain management while running? Can you welcome them and then banish them :D

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    is that like Tunguskan pain management while running? Can you welcome them and then banish them :D

If they get out of hand I'll have to banish them to, oh I don't know, maybe someplace cold with the next Boards marathon outing ;)

If they behave they can stay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

I am trying out the log to see if it makes me more consistent (shame me into it really). I welcome any comments etc..

Any training going on in here?

Has starting a log shamed you into being more consistent?

wowzer wrote: »
    Any training going on in here?

Has starting a log shamed you into being more consistent?

Hi Wowzer. Thanks for your interest. I have been fairly consistent since the start of the year anyway but I suppose the log had been responsible for one or two runs that might otherwise not have happened.

I noticed that you don't race, anything planned soon to test the training?

This year so far I've just done a marathon in January (as a training run for Donadea) and the 50K in Donadea. I'm hoping to do the 10K in Dunshaughlin in June to see where I'm at and to focus my training for the summer. Should be interesting as I haven't done a 10k before (pb guaranteed :rolleyes:). I haven't signed up for it yet as I have to make sure that there's no family stuff happening that it would interfere with - kiddie stuff comes first if necessary. My main aim this year is to put in a consistent effort & give DCM a good go. Other than that I'm planning on doing the race series half in September.

What are your plans ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

This year so far I've just done a marathon in January (as a training run for Donadea) and the 50K in Donadea. I'm hoping to do the 10K in Dunshaughlin in June to see where I'm at and to focus my training for the summer. Should be interesting as I haven't done a 10k before (pb guaranteed :rolleyes:). I haven't signed up for it yet as I have to make sure that there's no family stuff happening that it would interfere with - kiddie stuff comes first if necessary. My main aim this year is to put in a consistent effort & give DCM a good go. Other than that I'm planning on doing the race series half in September.

What are your plans ?

jeez, you are really slacking off... only a marathon and a 50k... tut, tut :D

annapr wrote: »
    jeez, you are really slacking off... only a marathon and a 50k... tut, tut :D

Yeah, I'm a slacker - although trying to go for a bit of quality (for me) now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hi, will follow your log if I can. What's your average weekly mileage?

walshb wrote: »
    Hi, will follow your log if I can. What's your average weekly mileage?

Hi, averaging out early to mid 30's I think depending on outside factors. That's what I'm aiming for at the moment anyway.

What are your plans ?

Sign up for that 10k in Dunshaughlin, sure don't we all have kiddies and real life stuff to worry about, if you really want to do something you have to make it happen ☺

I saw you have done donadea, did you race it properly or did you do it just to tick the ultra box?

It has been mentioned here before but I think you would definitely benefit from joining a club or getting some form of coaching. And I'd leave DCM out this year too, a solid year of club training and racing the shorter stuff would knock chunks off your marathon times if that's your goal..

As for me I got no plans really, maybe Berlin later in the year, I'm enjoying my running that's the main thing.

Sign up for that 10k in Dunshaughlin, sure don't we all have kiddies and real life stuff to worry about, if you really want to do something you have to make it happen ☺

I saw you have done donadea, did you race it properly or did you do it just to tick the ultra box?

It has been mentioned here before but I think you would definitely benefit from joining a club or getting some form of coaching. And I'd leave DCM out this year too, a solid year of club training and racing the shorter stuff would knock chunks off your marathon times if that's your goal..

As for me I got no plans really, maybe Berlin later in the year, I'm enjoying my running that's the main thing.

Reckon I'll be in Dunshaughlin alright once we're not west that weekend. Not sure what age your kids are but I'm finding it crazy at the moment (e.g. 5 matches in two days last weekend - even with two of us doing it it's full-on) :). Kids are 13, 11 & 8 so can't be sent off on their own yet.

Fell into Donadea by accident in a way (thanks UM1 :) ) - really enjoyed it but see it as unfinished business. Will definitely be back to do a great event more justice - I've more detail on that somewhere else on the log & on the Donadea thread too if you're interested.

Fully agree about the club & as soon as I am in a position to do so will join one - unfortunately it's not a runner (see what I did there :cool:) at the moment but as soon as I can.....

I also see what you are saying about leaving DCM but I feel I can make an improvement this year off consistent training - I love the event & it's definitely going to be my main focus for the year. As Meno said above, I have a bit of time before getting into specific marathon training to work on some shorter stuff.

Best of luck with your training - good to hear you are enjoying your running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Your concern for kits training is heartwarming. Really its so nice to see someone care more about anothers racing than focusing on their own goals. You're the best!!!

tunguska wrote: »
    Your concern for kits training is heartwarming. Really its so nice to see someone care more about anothers racing than focusing on their own goals. You're the best!!!

Cheers man, appreciate that!!!!!

Oh and by the way your response is a classic example of why many choose not to post in other people logs.

Oh and by the way your response is a classic example of why many choose not to post in other people logs.

No, Tunguska is right - I've had a warm glow all morning - thanks again for your interest & your comments - much appreciated.

• Advertisement

I think you've misinterpreted me. I was genuinely showing my appreciation for your comments.
    To show such interest and concern for the racing career of another person the way you did especially when you yourself are doing nothing........you're awesome, we need more of that around here!!!!

I think you've misinterpreted me. I was genuinely showing my appreciation for your comments.
    To show such interest and concern for the racing career of another person the way you did especially when you yourself are doing nothing........you're awesome, we need more of that around here!!!!

Jaysus thats fookin hilarious, take you long to think of that?

Why attack me when all I'm doing is giving a little advice on a log. I'm sure you are man enough to admit that you were trying to be a smartarse and attack me?

Why attack me when all I'm doing is giving a little advice on a log. I'm sure you are man enough to admit that you were trying to be a smartarse and attack me?

?? I don't think anyone is attacking you in fairness - I took Tunguska's comments to be genuine as I did yours - I wasn't wrong was I ??

Edit - That's not Tunguska's form - he doesn't do that as far as I've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

?? I don't think anyone is attacking you in fairness - I took Tunguska's comments to be genuine as I did yours - I wasn't wrong was I ??
    Think u mite be gettin wrong end of the stick..tungusta us like a hairy,yogadoing tree loving version of a mary popins hippy,,love not war an all dat stuff..

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Think u mite be gettin wrong end of the stick..tungusta us like a hairy,yogadoing tree loving version of a mary popins hippy,,love not an all dat stuff..

Jebus - what a picture that paints - you don't have any photos do you - just imagining a hairy mary poppins in running gear & umbrella aghh..................

I am genuinely shocked by these comments. I'm not being a douchebag, I'm being straight up and showing my appreciation of your support and interest in kit's training and racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Jebus - what a picture that paints - you don't have any photos do you - just imagining a hairy mary poppins in running gear & umbrella aghh..................

a1672a352367826ac0b66d319004e4e1c7786fef7fcb04994080f1b107b47d51.jpg

I don't even want to know how you knew where to find that so fast :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

I don't even want to know how you knew where to find that so fast :eek:

Personal collection kit!:cool:

• Advertisement

I noticed that you don't race, anything planned soon to test the training?

Sure weren't we only discussing this exact point a few posts back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A marathon and a 50km in the first 4 months of the year? I think you are doing just fine. Many don't appreciate the toll it takes on the body to run those types of long distances (and to recover properly from). They are not like 5/10kms. You can't bang them out week after week.

(You have to wonder. Some posters should consider the above before coming out with flippant comments.)

A marathon and a 50km in the first 4 months of the year? I think you are doing just fine. Many don't appreciate the toll it takes on the body to run those types of long distances (and recover properly from). They are not like 5/10kms. You can't bang them out week after week.

You have to wonder. People shoul consider the above before coming out with flippant comments.

Thanks - ended up sick for 3 weeks after Donadea too which knocked me back a bit. Recovered well now though & ready for road :)

Thanks - ended up sick for 3 weeks after Donadea too which knocked me back a bit. Recovered well now though & ready for road :)

I should probably added that I was advised by a regular on here (who knows what he's at) to make sure the body was well recovered after Donadea before getting stuck in again. Took good note of that - good to have people around here who know what they are at and bother with us much slower people :)

Donadea is an interesting one. It's not like a 'normal' road 50km for many. I know a good few that really suffered after the race (runners both racing/using as training run). I'm not sure how you fared after the race but for many it took the bit extra to recover from (for various reasons).

Donadea is an interesting one. It's not like a 'normal' road 50km for many. I know a good few that really suffered after the race (runners both racing/using as training run). I'm not sure how you fared after the race but for many it took the bit extra to recover from (for various reasons).

3 weeks of a chest infection probably helped in a bizzare way - couldn't even think of running so gave the legs a chance maybe ??

• Advertisement

A marathon and a 50km in the first 4 months of the year? I think you are doing just fine. Many don't appreciate the toll it takes on the body to run those types of long distances (and to recover properly from). They are not like 5/10kms. You can't bang them out week after week.

(You have to wonder. Some posters should consider the above before coming out with flippant comments.)

Aha the cavalry have arrived.

Surely that marathon can't be considered a real race if it was done on the way to a 50k race, it was a training run at most as it was probably done at LSR pace or slower if she was advised properly which I'm sure she was. But then again maybe she wasn't if she ended up sick for 3 weeks afterwards.

Aha the cavalry have arrived.

Surely that marathon can't be considered a real race if it was done on the way to a 50k race, it was a training run at most as it was probably done at LSR pace or slower if she was advised properly which I'm sure she was. But then again maybe she wasn't if she ended up sick for 3 weeks afterwards.

Why would there be need for the cavalry if you were genuine (as you said you were) - getting a bit confusing here now ??

Edit: 'She' ended up sick having caught the dose that was in the house for a week beforehand - I'm in the treehouse next time.

What? The cavalry? Please keep your immature comments to yourself. Unlike some, I don't have an agenda.

For the record. A marathon at any pace takes recovery. That's why 99% of marathon/ultra plans aren't littered with runs of 26+ miles.

Why would there be need for the cavalry if you were genuine (as you said you were) - getting a bit confusing here now ??

You tell me why there was a need for the cavalry to take shots at me? All I did was offer advice on a log on a public forum which I thought wad the reason why people logged. You took the advice as genuine but others seemed to have different ideas.

Anyway I'll leave it there, good luck and all that.

You tell me why there was a need for the cavalry to take shots at me? All I did was offer advice on a log on a public forum which I thought wad the reason why people logged. You took the advice as genuine but others seemed to have different ideas.

Anyway I'll leave it there, good luck and all that.

You mentioned cavalry - I see it as others taking part in a discussion on a public log - both they (& you) are welcome to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement