Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016: Leath maith tús na hoibre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

kit3 wrote: »
    Will only know about Dunshaughlin more or less on the day. I've entered & will do it if I can but would agree that I wouldn't expect any gains at this early stage.

You know you can enter on the night? ;)

Race series 10k is on the 19th July which would be a good measure of progression from Dunshaughlin if you get to do it, but you're probably out west at that stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

menoscemo wrote: »
    You know you can enter on the night? ;)

Race series 10k is on the 19th July which would be a good measure of progression from Dunshaughlin if you get to do it, but you're probably out west at that stage?

I have entered - the problem arose after that so if I can sort it I'll be there :)

Hopefully back to normal routine for a few weeks now so should be more structured & will update more often as I find that the details are more sparse the longer I leave it.

Really should have known better - not sure what 'normal' is any more !!

Literally no chance to run on Tues & Wed as the two youngest were off school sick & himself and the eldest had gone to Achill for a few days as they are on holidays. I had no one who could come in & couldn't leave them on their own so was stuck - was absolutely itching to get out too :(

Thurs am - Lovely 6.5 miles this morning along the canal into work - aim was for 10 min miles - it took 1.04 so not too far out. Legs were fairly tight for a lot of it but loosened out eventually - should be better I hope on the return leg later.

Really enjoyed this run - it's my Mam's anniversary today (hard to believe it's been 31 years) & it always really brings home to me that I'm so lucky to be able to do this. I'm already 8 years older than she got to be. Today's run was a celebration of being alive (tight legs & all :rolleyes:).

Second leg home felt easier - legs not so tight & fell into a nice easy rhythm. Interesting to find only 14 seconds between the two runs - faster on the way home. Lovely evening with gangs of kids swimming in the canal at Inchicore & Ballyfermot - having great fun but can't help but think that there's often a tragedy at this time of the year on the canal. Came home to a water fight in full swing in the back garden - have to love the sun :)

6.5 miles in 1.04.05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck if you manage to make Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck if you manage to make Dunshaughlin.

Thanks a million Tang but afraid I won't make it - family stuff came up just after I registered that I can't change.

Quick update which will lack all detail :o June is silly season for me - work was very busy because I was finishing up for the summer, kids stuff busy with end of year events, throw in 2 kiddie birthdays, a wedding & an 80th birthday for good measure & the log fell by the wayside. Have averaged 4/5 runs per week & 30/35 miles. Legs were getting progressively tighter & each run was more of a struggle (taking at least 30 mins to loosen out) & my arm was not improving so paid my local physio a visit last week. Turned out I had a bone out of place in my lower arm which was causing inflammation in the elbow area. A fairly quick fix & it's been improving steadily since. Also had a few bits clicked back into place in my upper back, hips & lower back loosened out, issues with tightness in my right heel, left big toe was out too...... you get the picture - so full of knots that he reckoned I was heading for a tear. Got a lecture (well deserved :rolleyes:) about the value of regular foam rolling & a killer massage from his colleague & I've a new pair of legs :). A few nice runs in Achill during the week - was leaving today as the place was building up for the half tomorrow. Heading to Miltown Malbay tomorrow for sessions of a different kind - this is usually a non running week for me by & large but the youngest will be joining the others at the classes this year (himself is teaching) leaving me free for a few hours each morning :). Probably won't have internet access for most of the week but will be sorting it out for Achill after that so hope to update properly then :rolleyes::o

Confession time :o My 'simple plan' fell by the wayside last week when I was anything but consistent. Spent the week in Miltown Malbay at the a Willie Clancy summer school - a brilliant week but not conducive to running. Loads of music & great craic. We were staying out of town a bit, roads were very narrow & full of dogs & the tide was fully in at the times I could run (I know, excuses, excuses :o ). Tried two short runs but my nerves were shot between the cars & the dogs. As the week went on the nights got later & I simply gave up - I did say this was a confession. The plus for the week was that it reacquainted me with something I'd let fall by the wayside a bit & I spent the week with loads of people I only get to see a few times a year. Time to get the head down again now though !

Great part of the world, heading that way myself next week.

Mon 13 July - 5 miles easy around home

Tues 14 July - day was spent packing up to get to Achill (exactly how much do 5 people need for the summer - still forgot some things) eventually got ion the road at 5.20 so no running

Wed 15 July - early morning run from Dooagh to Keel & back - glorious morning - 5 miles easy including some badly needed hills - a shortish steep one on the outward leg & a longer more gradual one on the way back. Going to try do some of my runs each week here on hills as most of my runs back in Dublin are on the flat.

Wed pm - climbed Slievemore with the family (& dog) - 2.5 hours up & 1.5 down - great afternoon. Was waving across Blacksod to SamforMayo but she didn't seem to see me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Great part of the world, heading that way myself next week.

It is indeed Tang although I suspect it will be a little bit quieter next week !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wed pm - climbed Slievemore with the family (& dog) - 2.5 hours up & 1.5 down - great afternoon. Was waving across Blacksod to SamforMayo but she didn't seem to see me :rolleyes:

What a stunning view of the bay, happy holidays. Now get back running :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Lovely part of the world, Kit, enjoy... hard to avoid hills on Achill I'd imagine :)

aquinn wrote: »
    What a stunning view of the bay, happy holidays. Now get back running :P

Amazing view from the top of Slievemore - right around the island & on down the coast to Clare Island, Inisboffin & the Aran Islands to the south & the Inishkeas & north Mayo on the other side

annapr wrote: »
    Lovely part of the world, Kit, enjoy... hard to avoid hills on Achill I'd imagine :)

Full of hills alright although my favourite place to run is on Keel beach which is of course flat. Needs the tide to be out though.

Very different day to day - pi$$ed all day. Found ourselves in a remote part of north Mayo with the fuel tank on reserve. Got directions to the nearest fuel pumps down quite a few dirt tracks where you could hardly see the road for the grass & himself freewheeling down any hills to save the bit of fuel we had. Reckon we were on fumes by the time we got there :)

Got out at about 9 for a run - happy with the legs after yesterday's exertions - the only ill effect was a badly skinned heel ( wrong socks with my walking boots :mad:) but a compeed plaster worked fine. Fairly windy as is usual in Achill 4.5 miles in 42.56.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Very different day to day - pi$$ed all day. Found ourselves in a remote part of north Mayo with the fuel tank on reserve. Got directions to the nearest fuel pumps down quite a few dirt tracks where you could hardly see the road for the grass & himself freewheeling down any hills to save the bit of fuel we had. Reckon we were on fumes by the time we got there :)

Got out at about 9 for a run - happy with the legs after yesterday's exertions - the only ill effect was a badly skinned heel ( wrong socks with my walking boots :mad:) but a compeed plaster worked fine. Fairly windy as is usual in Achill 4.5 miles in 42.56.

I know you're on holiday Kit, but maybe it's time to cut back on the booze :)

TbL

I know you're on holiday Kit, but maybe it's time to cut back on the booze :)

TbL

:cool:

Late evening 5.5 miles with strides in a crazy wind - bit of fun trying to race back to the car into the wind which was almost blowing me backwards !

Realised well into the run that I was running this on empty - had to get the car NCT'd in Westport this morning so left without breakfast rather than wake the house - had coffee & crisps in the car (very nutritious :( ). Didn't have lunch because I intended to run in the early afternoon. Got waylaid & skipped dinner till after I ran. I'd often leave dinner till afterwards but had forgotten I'd skipped the rest too. Not very clever :(

Run was fun though - missed the tide so was amongst the sheep on the sandy banks - they all run away from me except for one with big horns who gives me a bit of a glare !

So the one with the big horn was giving you the glare, never knew there was a nudist beach in Mayo!!!

• Advertisement

So the one with the big horn was giving you the glare, never knew there was a nudist beach in Mayo!!!

You'd be surprised what you'd find around here - both a 'nudist' & a 'naturist' beach - will get you pictures over the next few days ;) (btw I mentioned horns ;)

(btw I mentioned horns ;)

I know you did, i just thought you were bragging!!

Sat - nice walk on the Greenway with the kiddies - slight niggle in right shin & wanted to go a bit longer on Sunday so took a rest day to play it safe.

Sun - early morning run - 10 miles easy - nothing much to report - felt good & enjoyed it :). Shin fine.

Happy enough with this week after a dismal one last week - 5 runs - 1 hilly & 1 slightly long (will build on that one next week) & one mountain climbed :) - total 30 miles (bit on the low side but can only improve !)

Next week will be a bit messy from Tues - Thurs so will need to watch it !

Mon - 1.5 miles easy, 3 miles steady, 1 mile easy & .5 mile flat out :) total 6 miles

Absolutely loved this one - went out this evening to do a few easy miles but felt good so just mixed it up a bit - the final .5 flat out was just because I felt like it - v strong wind for this one which made it exhilarating. More often than not it's windy here - never realised just how much till I was here for the first time with a newborn (can't believe that's 14 years ago :eek: )

Felt better on this run than I have for a while :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey Kit, I'm back on Boards and i see you finally have a thread going!!;)

Best of luck with the training, congrats on the 50k(its on my "to do" list!!)

Your life is a bit like my own, full time job, 3 kiddies(mine are 12, 9 & 6), lots of football (my 3 play, my eldest girl plays on 4 different team & I train the girls team) and my commute is too long to cycle or run (65k each way) so i can understand all the juggling that has to be done.:eek:

The log definitely helps to push you out the door when otherwise it might have been a "feck it, i go tomorrow" which was happening to me.

Maybe we can meet in the park for a run someday, i will be back doing lunchtime runs when football training is back on in August!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Hey Kit, I'm back on Boards and i see you finally have a thread going!!;)

Best of luck with the training, congrats on the 50k(its on my "to do" list!!)

Your life is a bit like my own, full time job, 3 kiddies(mine are 12, 9 & 6), lots of football (my 3 play, my eldest girl plays on 4 different team & I train the girls team) and my commute is too long to cycle or run (65k each way) so i can understand all the juggling that has to be done.:eek:

The log definitely helps to push you out the door when otherwise it might have been a "feck it, i go tomorrow" which was happening to me.

Maybe we can meet in the park for a run someday, i will be back doing lunchtime runs when football training is back on in August!!

Hi Anne, great to see you back here. Yeah, the log definitely helps to get you out somedays (although I'm in Leitrim for 2 nights with no runs :o ). Would love to meet you some lunchtime in the park. I'm out of Dublin for the summer but will be back in Sept. What's your running plans ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi kit,

Current plan is 10m in Race series in Aug and then the Athlone Half marathon in Sept. If everything falls into place i will do Dublin marathon, but not for a PB attempt. I don't think i will be back near that shape to attempt one but you never know!!!
    Come Aug, when girls football training & matches are back on, I will be doing my runs for Tue, Wed & Thur at lunchtime, Tue & Thur are easy days, with Wed a session with whatever is on the plan for that week.

Send me a PM whenever suits and we'll set something up.

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi kit,

Current plan is 10m in Race series in Aug and then the Athlone Half marathon in Sept. If everything falls into place i will do Dublin marathon, but not for a PB attempt. I don't think i will be back near that shape to attempt one but you never know!!!
    Come Aug, when girls football training & matches are back on, I will be doing my runs for Tue, Wed & Thur at lunchtime, Tue & Thur are easy days, with Wed a session with whatever is on the plan for that week.

Send me a PM whenever suits and we'll set something up.

Sounds good - will be in touch early Sept :) Best of luck over the summer

Bit of catching up ...

Tues 21st - early morning easy 5 miles before driving the MIL & dog to Dublin in the afternoon, home for about an hour to collect some stuff & then drove to Drumshanbo to meet himself & the kids

Wed 22nd - no run - out & about with the kiddies

Thurs 23rd - had to drive to Dublin early to deliver a car (it's complicated :rolleyes:) - on the road at 8 after 3.5 hours sleep then caught the train to Castlebar to meet up with the others & back to Achill - good for nothing after that so no run.

Fri 24th - easy 12 miles

Sat 25th - easy 5 with some hills

Sun 26th - impromptu time trial - eventually made it to the beach when the tide was right. One of my favourite runs that's about 5k although I've never been able to formally measure it. Was doing this run last year in about 27 minutes. Felt good from the start so went for a blowout & did it in 24.19 (which leads me to think it's not a full 5k but a decent improvement nevertheless. Wind fairly strong on the way back but reckon that evened out given it was an out & back route. Very happy with this one.

Mon 27th - had a migraine type headache since Sunday that I couldn't shift so no run

Tues 28th - easy 5 miles on the beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So Kit, how's the whole be consistent thing going? :D

aquinn wrote: »
    So Kit, how's the whole be consistent thing going? :D

Running - wise it's going fine, thanks. Log-wise - dodgy connections for the summer didn't help & not sure if I'll keep it up (not much to report so not sure I want to keep boring folk - plenty of interesting logs around :) ). Time will tell ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Running - wise it's going fine, thanks. Log-wise - dodgy connections for the summer didn't help & not sure if I'll keep it up (not much to report so not sure I want to keep boring folk - plenty of interesting logs around :) ). Time will tell ...

I know where your coming from here. I say feck all on my log and get very little traffic for that reason I suppose.
    Although I consider stopping to log almost every week I'm starting to find the benefits of looking back on past training and heart rates and recovery from races and using it moving forward.
    This is my only form of documentation towards running and find ,if nothing else, it helps to guide my goals.
    Although it's nice to get a few thanks and know someone is reading, it's not my main motivation.
    Just my opinion hope the hols.went well.

Ed Mc wrote: »
    I know where your coming from here. I say feck all on my log and get very little traffic for that reason I suppose.
    Although I consider stopping to log almost every week I'm starting to find the benefits of looking back on past training and heart rates and recovery from races and using it moving forward.
    This is my only form of documentation towards running and find ,if nothing else, it helps to guide my goals.
    Although it's nice to get a few thanks and know someone is reading, it's not my main motivation.

Thanks Ed - what you're saying makes some sense. I've always kept a paper log (very basic - just date, distance & place). I reckon I just got a bit bored of logging similar runs over the summer (x miles, windy/very windy/ crazy wind :p). Might try again now that I'm back in Dublin & will be varying it a bit more. Hols were great - worst weather we've had in years, extra windy but love the 'downtime' with the family after chasing them around for the rest of the year !

Ed Mc wrote: »

I like both of your logs so please don't stop!!!

sneaks in ....

I picked the log title to keep pressure on myself to try to stay consistent. However, life can sometimes throw you a curve ball that interferes with even the best laid plans and the log title came back to bite me on the ar$e :rolleyes:

Was going really well & consistently up to mid August when I encountered potential health problem (non running related) that had my head in a spin for a while. I kept running but did not feel comfortable going over 6/7 miles per run because I thought it might aggravate the issue. Thankfully it's all resolved now with no ill effects & I'm back at it but have missed three crucial long runs. Not sure where it leaves me to be honest but will make a decision on DCM after the race series half.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 1 Sept - easy 4 miles in the evening around Clondalkin (38.xx). Felt good

Wed 2 Sept - 9 lunchtime miles from work to Castleknock gate in the PP & back -1.32. Really enjoyed this one. Cycled in & out of work too.

Thurs - 5 miles along the canal at lunchtime - 47.xx & cycled in & out.

Fri - 4 miles lunchtime - 39.xx & cycled in & out

Sat - nothing - at kids matches & watched the Dubs :)

Sun - 15 early miles in the PP - had planned to do 14 - did two 7 mile loops stopping briefly at the car in between for a few mouthfuls of water. Both laps were 1.10 each. Added on an extra loop to bring it to 15 in 2hrs 30. Very happy with this. Felt fine although was physically tired yesterday afternoon after it but had a late night on Saturday (about 1.30) & was running by 8 so I reckon it was to be expected. Done on empty more through lack of preparation than planning so I'm taking that as a positive run.

sneaks in ....

I picked the log title to keep pressure on myself to try to stay consistent. However, life can sometimes throw you a curve ball that interferes with even the best laid plans and the log title came back to bite me on the ar$e :rolleyes:

Was going really well & consistently up to mid August when I encountered potential health problem (non running related) that had my head in a spin for a while. I kept running but did not feel comfortable going over 6/7 miles per run because I thought it might aggravate the issue. Thankfully it's all resolved now with no ill effects & I'm back at it but have missed three crucial long runs. Not sure where it leaves me to be honest but will make a decision on DCM after the race series half.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious & you can go full throttle at the running again.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious & you can go full throttle at the running again.

Thanks Tang - all good now - behind where I wanted to be but could have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

sneaks in ....

...but have missed three crucial long runs. Not sure where it leaves me to be honest but will make a decision on DCM after the race series half.

Not sure if you saw it on the novices thread but Clearlier had a very sound piece of advice when a few others wondered the same: (I'll paraphrase, so might be a bit garbled!)
    'There's no clear line but probably best to pull out when you're facing a target that you'd no longer be happy with'...I'll search for the actual quote later :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Not sure if you saw it on the novices thread but Clearlier had a very sound piece of advice when a few others wondered the same: (I'll paraphrase, so might be a bit garbled!)
    'There's no clear line but probably best to pull out when you're facing a target that you'd no longer be happy with'...I'll search for the actual quote later :)

Thanks Dubgal. I'll have a good idea where I am after the half & will make a decision based on that. No harm in ploughing on till then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks Dubgal. I'll have a good idea where I am after the half & will make a decision based on that. No harm in ploughing on till then :)

Oh yeah for sure, it was with the HM outing in mind :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Oh yeah for sure, it was with the HM outing in mind :)

Thanks - will look that up later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice LR on Sunday off low mileage, that would have had me in bits.

Best of luck with it

TbL

Nice LR on Sunday off low mileage, that would have had me in bits.

Best of luck with it

TbL

Thanks - was happy with that - the 9 miles on Wed was a tester :) Will stretch it this weekend & see how it goes

Hey Kit, how are you feeling today after DCM? Hope you are happy with the result?

Hey Kit, how are you feeling today after DCM? Hope you are happy with the result?

I'm grand Anna, thanks (well, apart from the usual aches :rolleyes:). I'm happy enough with the result. Although I would have liked to be closer to 4.30, I didn't have a fully consistent run in training for various reasons (must look into changing that log title if I keep it!). I almost didn't register but I'm really glad I did it now. Will be concentrating on trying to bring down my half time I think & hoping that will give me a better run in to the next one .

I'm grand Anna, thanks (well, apart from the usual aches :rolleyes:). I'm happy enough with the result. Although I would have liked to be closer to 4.30, I didn't have a fully consistent run in training for various reasons (must look into changing that log title if I keep it!). I almost didn't register but I'm really glad I did it now. Will be concentrating on trying to bring down my half time I think & hoping that will give me a better run in to the next one .

Well, life has a way of making the 'simple plans' more complicated, Kit. Good for you for doing it and well done!

Well, life has a way of making the 'simple plans' more complicated, Kit. Good for you for doing it and well done!

It has indeed Anna - definitely a log title change on the cards ! Congrats to you again, absolutely delighted that you reaped the rewards !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

Just been reading through your log....really well done to you Kit......
    Getting me thinking of doing something like this now myself...
    Congratulations for the log and the marathon... :-)

Just been reading through your log....really well done to you Kit......
    Getting me thinking of doing something like this now myself...
    Congratulations for the log and the marathon... :-)

As logs go it's fairly mundane (& sketchy) - you'll find a lot better on here. You should definitely start one :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement