Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016: Leath maith tús na hoibre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice one Kit, well done.

What's next, any plans (simple or otherwise. :) )?

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Nice one Kit, well done.

What's next, any plans (simple or otherwise. :) )?

TbL

Plan was to let the log slide :P but it's got a bit active over the last few days ! If I keep it I'll look at a name change ;) Running wise, a few weeks easy running so as not to court injury. Going to target the half in Bohermeen in March - haven't done one since Sept 13 so hope to knock a bit off my time :rolleyes: Will spend the next week or two looking at possible plans & take a bit of advice - need to do something to help speed me up ! How did you go last week TBL ? Presume you are tapering now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good stuff, might revisit Bohermeen again myself!

No taper madness on my side only madness :)

No running at all last week, wined and dined like a Lord but worked like a dray horse! Even if I was able to muster up the motivation, I got zero opportunity to get out.

Probably gonna pull the plug on SS as it's a long way to go for a long run!

Keep the log going.

TbL

Good stuff, might revisit Bohermeen again myself!

No taper madness on my side only madness :)

No running at all last week, wined and dined like a Lord but worked like a dray horse! Even if I was able to muster up the motivation, I got zero opportunity to get out.

Probably gonna pull the plug on SS as it's a long way to go for a long run!

Keep the log going.

TbL

Sorry to hear you had such a difficult week - running wise anyway. You've a lot of work already in the bag - don't pull the plug without taking advice (from others who know a lot more about it than me !) Best of luck with the decision - not easy !

Going to give this another go with a change of log title to come soon

Just a short update tonight. I've ticked over nicely since DCM - with three weeks at 20/22 miles per week. No niggles/issues thankfully and I'm ready to hit the road properly again now. I'm planning to follow the graduate plan to get a bit of variety into my training (have ok'd this with Myles) with a view to doing the Bohermeen half in March. I haven't done a half since Sept 2013 so I'm hoping to make an improvement on my 2.10 pb.

I've always just timed my runs with a stop watch I got in Aldi a few years ago & would take an average time at the end of a run. I tried out Strava recently after it was recommended to me and I have to say that I'm finding it as 'awesome' as promised. I eventually figured out how to use the app and I'm having fun seeing each mile time as opposed to just a final time. I'm also recording my cycles to and from work. I might actually invest in a watch now - bit of a pain to carry the phone all the time.

Plan starts tomorrow and I'm in Cork all day but was out at lunchtime so have that one covered.

5 miles @9.35 (10.00, 10.15, 9.45, 8.44 & 8.54) Had to beat myself out the door to do it but was glad I did.

Cycle commute x2 also.

Plan for today was 10-15 minutes warm up, 10 minutes of strides (diagonals), 10-15 minutes cooldown.

Headed to Eamonn Ceannt park for this (actually didn't know it existed until last night - thanks BeepBeep). Had intended to do 20 mins warm-up but ended up with 26 mins by the time I found the football pitch. Like everything else, if I was to do the diagonals again I reckon I'd do a bit better. Think I went out too fast to begin with and was feeling it - took a few seconds breather half way (wasn't supposed to but there was a big dog tearing across the pitch & I reckoned I'd give him the right of way!). Felt I probably got the pacing right in the second half and managed it better. Had been feeling a bit sick on the warm-up & was wondering if I was wise but felt fine by the end. With the cooldown it ended up at 5.6 miles @9.49 (10.11, 10.32, 9.46, 9.12, 9.35, 9.40).

Cycle commute x2 also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice going, glad your keeping the log up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Love the new title, too true but should it not be "Tús maith leath na hoibre".

Anyway, best of luck with it kit!

Love the new title, too true but should it not be "Tús maith leath na hoibre".

Anyway, best of luck with it kit!

It's actually a play on it :) 'Tús maith leath na hoibre' being the old proverb meaning 'A good start is half the work'. My title 'Leath maith tús na hoibre' meaning 'a good half is the start of the work'. Reckon I need to work on my half time before tackling another marathon.

Either way, it's better than the last one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ended up changing the planned days around a bit to suit life.

Thurs - Plan - 45 mins easy. Actual: caught up with work through lunch so no run. Cycle commute x2.

Fri - Plan: rest. Actual: set out to do yesterday's 45 easy (but probably ended up with Saturday's planned run which was 45 easy with last 10 at MP). My ocd (thanks Strava) wouldn't let me stop till I reached 5 miles in 49.28 (9.47, 10.18, 9.58, 9.19, 9.15).

Cycle x2

Sat - set out early to do Sunday's planned 75min easy. Ended up with 9.3 miles in 1.32.

That just left me with one 45 min run left to do but I woke up feeling a bit fluish & have yet to shift the niggly cough I got before DCM so decided to leave it.

Summary - an awkward week work-wise left me with just 4 runs (25 miles) but I did get in Wednesday's session & the longer run yesterday. Also had 8 cycles (commuting) so they probably make up for the missing run although I'd rather have got it in.

Well, what can I say. Can't believe it's been nearly 4 months since I updated this ! Hoping to get it going again so just a quick summary for now. Ended up sick for nearly 3 weeks in December & then spent the rest of the time before Christmas doing frantic catch up shopping so virtually no running - simply wasn't well enough. January saw a change of job which unsettled things a bit. My commute is a little bit longer & it was difficult to get out consistently at lunchtime for the first few weeks but that's more settled now.

I've been commuting on the bike and covering an average of 70 miles a week. One thing I've learnt from the bike is that consistency does pay off. I'm travelling much faster these days. Must just transfer that to the runs now ! Running wise I've only averaged around 20 miles a week but have tried to get a faster one in each week. I've really fallen down on the long runs but will get that together from here on.

The week so far:
    Monday - commute x 2 (approx 14 miles)
    Lunchtime run out to the poolbeg lighthouse - 8.9 miles. Nice run but found it fairly tricky underfoot heading out the pier. Not sure I'd do it again - an accident waiting to happen ! (9.44, 10.14, 10.18, 10.57, 11.08, 11.07, 10.50, 10.29, 11.02)

Tuesday - Commute x 2

Wednesday - Commute x 2
    lunchtime run along Sandymount seafront - 5.1 miles (9.33, 9.57, 10.04, 10.00, 9.53. 8.27 (.1) )

Hopefully it won't be another 5 months before my next update :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Welcome back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

if you could keep the log updated regularly I'd be very grateful - I need something to read for the next few weeks :D:D

Fri - local loop - 6 miles - 59 minutes (no splits, phone acting up)

Sat/Sun - nothing 2 birthdays in the house/Easter etc

Mon- local loop - 5.3 miles - 52.28

Wed - easy run on Keel beach with the two eldest (who left me for dead :rolleyes: )- first of the year on the beach, forgot how zapping the sand is on the legs. Fairly strong wind too as is usual for here - 3 miles - 30.18 (9.38/10.22/10.09)

Hope to hit the hills tomorrow if I get a chance

Thurs - same beach run as Wed x2 - 6 miles in 59 mins. Just got this in as the wind picked up.
    Sun - local run -8.5 mikes in 1.26
    Mon - lunchtime run - 5 miles in 47.11 - 9.45, 9.44, 9.40, 9.25 & 9.02 (ave. 9.34)
    Cycle commute x 2
    Tues - silly lunchtime run -too little sleep & no food =pure plod - 3 miles in 29.59 - 10.00, 10.14 & 9.43 (ave 9.58). Silly not to have taken time to eat earlier in the day !
    Cycle commute x 2
    Wed - working from home am with sick kiddie - no run & cycle x 2. Very windy.

• Advertisement

What can I say - I'm not very good at keeping a log on here ! After initially deciding to let it go I reckoned I'd give it one more go. Thought about starting afresh with a new one but reckoned that wouldn't be a true reflection really.

I've been anything but consistent since the end of last November. A difficult work situation (which had lasted over 2 years) was eventually resolved in January. This saw me move to a new position which is more demanding and involved an inevitable period of re-adjustment. With a lot going on I decided to just go with it & just tick over until things settled down. The sabbatical is over now & it's time to get moving properly again.

My immediate plan is to build to 30/35 miles a week over the next few weeks and to settle into a programme for DCM in late June.

Mon 25 Apr
    - lunch time run - Sandymount- found this one tough - result of the last few months taking it easy - 5.1 miles (9.43, 10.06, 10.23, 11.05, 10.26, 9.05(.1)

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.5 miles total

Evening swim - 40 minutes

Tues 26 - Cycle commute x 2 - 13.5 miles

Wed 27 - lunchtime run - short on time - 3.4 miles (9.49, 10.30, 10.02, 9.45)

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.4 miles

Thurs 28 - cycle commute x 2 - 13.6 miles

Fri 29 - lunchtime run around town with N & F for company who were nice enough to slow it down for me :) - 4.3 miles (9.03, 9.34, 9.17, 9.53, 9.55)

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.7 miles

Easy swim (& play :) ) - 45 minutes

Sat 30 - Easy run with the kiddies in Corkagh Park - 3.2 miles (9.28, 9.59, 9.42)

Sun 1 May - Morning run - 8 miles in 1.18 (ave. 9.42)

Afternoon cycle with the youngest - 4.7 miles

Weekly total - Run - 24.1 miles; Cycling 73 miles; Swim - 85 minutes-

Mon 2 May - Family cycle along the canal to Straffan - 21.8 miles in 4 hours. Ran into a problem with my daughters bike after 6 miles - stuck in first gear & the back break was rubbing against the wheel. I ended up on her bike for the remainder of the cycle - ended up working waaay harder than I intended !

Tues 3 May
    - Very easy lunchtime run - 4.6 miles (9.51, 10.05, 10.40, 10.58, 10.22) - bit of an ouch-fest - quads mashed from the unsuitable bike the day before.

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.5 miles

Wed 4 May
    - No chance of a lunchtime run - working off site in the morning.
    Cycle commute x 2 - 13.8 miles. Kiddie match in the evening so no run.

Thurs 5 May - Off work with the kids. Morning swim - 45 minutes

Easy run in the evening - 5.2 miles (ave. 9.25)

Fri 6 May - Easy lunchtime run - Sandymount - 5.1 miles (9.54, 10.11, 10.32, 10.09, 9.48, 9.47 (.1) )

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.9 miles

Sat 7 May - easy morning run - 5 miles in 50 minutes

Weekly total - Run - 20 miles; cycle - 63.4 miles; swim - 45 minutes - need to up the running miles next week !

Note - I'm not moving to the dark side :) The youngest has a problem with her heels due to growth & can't do anything that involves impact for now. Her football & camogie are out for now so swimming & cycling are in !

Mon 9- Lunchtime run - Sandymount beachfront - 5.1 miles (9.40, 10.00, 9.54, 9.42, 9.21, 8.43 (0.1) ) - warm once I left the seafront breeze

evening- short reccee (sp ?) of the schools' cross country course in Corkagh Park with my 12 year old (big race on Thursday ;) ) 2.1 miles (ave. 9.51for me - she was much faster !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Welcome back kit..ur consistant consistance constantly consits me..

UM1 wrote: »
    Welcome back kit..ur consistant consistance constantly consits me..

Haha, I aim to please ;) Might surprise myself this time .....

Tues 10 Easy lunchtime run - Sandymount again (love the sea :) ) - 5 miles (10.05, 10.14, 10.14, 10.14, 9.50 ).

It was raining as I left the office so wore a jacket which was a big mistake - roasted for the last mile. Was surprised to see such even splits for miles 2,3 &4. Didn't feel that way. Felt like I died completely for the last mile & reckoned it was about 11 mins or so - definitely didn't feel like the fastest of the day ! Wouldn't want to be trusting running by feel just yet by the looks of things :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good to see you arais aris :)

Wed Lunchtime run along the canal - left the jacket behind today & it rained :rolleyes: Was nice though. Felt good on this one for a change :)

5 miles (9.47, 9.37, 9.40, 9.39, 9.38)

Cycle commute x 2 (including a return to deal with an alarm going off :( ) - 15.7 miles

Thurs Cycle commute x 2 - 13.8 miles

Evening - 45 min swim with the youngest

Fri Nice lunchtime run with some present & former boardsies - very easy run for them, tempo-ish for me :rolleyes: Unfortunately my phone went on the blink at the meeting point so I have no stats & am not really sure where we were. Went out past the 3 arena towards Clontarf & back into town. Really warm & I was feeling it towards the end after a very late night last night. Really enjoyable though & good company, thanks. Was advised here when I started the log that I should run with others. If I was on my own today the run would certainly have been shorter & slower.

I'm told that it was about 5.5 miles at 9.15ish pace & 0.5 to the meeting place giving 6 miles for the day.

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.8 miles

Sat Earlyish long run mainly in Corkagh park on the grass. 10 miles nice & slow.

Really enjoyed this - fantastic morning for it and, for once, I wasn't in a rush (only afternoon matches this Sat :) ). Phone died after 5.5 miles so I have times for that (10.51, 11.05, 10.57, 11.07, 11.21 & 10.56 (.5) ). Don't like seeing 11.xx but I deliberately kept it slow & it's early days I suppose. The remaining 4.5 miles seems to have averaged out at 10.40 pace judging from the time taken.

Getting a new phone later in the week so this problem should be gone :rolleyes:

Sun Leisurely 5 mile cycle with the youngest around a very packed Corkagh Park. Was tempted to run this evening but I'm just starting to build again so took the sensible option - roll on tomorrow :)

Weekly total - Run - 33.5 miles; Cycle - 75.7 miles; Swim 45 mins

Happy with this week :)

Mon 16 lunchtime run along Sandymount seafront - 5.1 miles (9.58, 10.02, 10.06, 9.51, 9.23, 9.03 (.1)

Cycle commute X 2 - 13.5 miles

Tues 17 lunchtime run - 5.2 miles (9.35, 9.55, 10.16, 10.00, 9.48, 8.53 (.2) - very slight niggle in my lower calf. Might be time for a bit of tlc

Cycle commute X 2 - 13.5 miles

Wed Lunchtime run along the canal - 5 miles (10.11, 9.48, 9.46, 9.39, 9.32). No issue with the calf today - fingers crossed.

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.9 miles. I cycle the same route everyday along the canal so there can be very little variation. However, Strava sees it differently .....

Thurs Nice & easy lunchtime run - 5 miles (10.00, 10.21, 10.15, 10.24, 9.57 )

Cycle commute X 2 - 13.8 miles

Evening swim - 45 minutes

Fri Nice run with the Friday lunch crew - 6.4 miles (9.56, 9.00, 9.27, 9.03, 9.16, 10.01, 8.55(.4) ) Enjoyed the company on this one - very easy for them bit faster than usual for me :rolleyes:

Sat Rest day

Sun Earlyish slow run around the local area. 10.5 miles ( 10.41, 10.46, 10.42, 10.27, 10.08, 10.22, 10.15, 10.32, 10.17, 10.12 ). Felt it towards the end & thought I had slowed right down so was happy enough to see the times.

Weekly totals: Running - 37.6 miles*; Cycling - 68.9 miles; Swim - 45 minutes

* By my reckoning my individual runs this week added up to 37.2 miles but Strava gave me a total of 37.6. I've checked it out & apparently Strava rounds down your individual runs but gives you the correct weekly total :) Nice surprise.

Happy with this week :)

Playing catch up this week in more ways than one !

Mon nothing ! Was out in Santry in the morning at the Cumann na mBun Scoil races which meant I had to drive into town to work in the afternoon so no cycle & no lunch break to run in. Had to go to a school meeting in the evening so no time for anything. My daughter came second in her 600 mt race though so it was worth it !

Tues lunchtime meeting meant that my run had to wait until the evening. Headed out around the local area - 5.7 miles (9.51, 9.20, 9.32, 9.19, 9.15 9.16 (.7) ) It was a glorious evening & this one was fun (not often I'd say that)

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.6 miles

Wed Same as Monday but this time the result was a bronze in the 100 mts. No run or cycle but worth it again :)

Thurs Lunchtime run along the canal - 6.3 miles (9.47, 9.46, 9.49, 9.53, 9.50, 9.38, 9.17(.3) ).

Fri lunchtime 5.1 in roughly 50 mins - very short on time, left the phone on the desk & no time to go back for it !

Evening - 45 mins swim (& play :) ) with the youngest

Sat earlyish longish run around Clondalkin - nice & easy. 10.5 miles (10.38, 10.44, 10.33, 10.39, 10.45, 10.36, 10.25, 10.23, 10.15, 10.00, 9.56 (.5) )

• Advertisement

Sun Leisurely cycle with the youngest - 6.2 miles

Weekly totals - Running - 27.8 miles; Cycling - 47 miles; Swimming 45 minutes

This week was always going to be challenging time wise. I really wanted to hit at least 30 miles per week & that 2.2 miles were niggling a bit for a while this afternoon but I'd promised the kiddie I'd take her cycling & it was either/or time wise. Not in a position to get out until much later so decided to let it go :rolleyes:

Mon Lunchtime run along Sandymount beachfront to get the benefit of a bit of sea breeze. Found it really hot today which doesn't suit me running wise. Plan was to try to up the pace for a mile or two.

5 miles - 2 warm up, 1 fastish, 1 faster & 1 fastish (this was meant to be a cooldown mile but worked out differently - I'm not very good at running by feel :o ). (9.53, 10.01, 9.20, 9.09, 9.22)

Tues lunchtime run - did laps of Herbert Park for shade. Kept it nice & easy - 5.2 miles (9.51, 10.05, 10.00, 9.58, 9.51, 9.25(.2)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.3 miles

Wed Lunchtime run - Sandymount beach front - 5.1 miles (9.42, 9.52, 9.53, 9.46, 9.22, 8.26 (.1)

Cycle commute x 2 - 12.2 miles

Thurs Lunchtime run - 5.2 miles in 51 minutes (ave. 9.48)

Fri cycle commute x 2 - 14 miles. No opportunity to run (worked a half day, drove to Achill & straight out to a wedding).

Sat Fantastic day in Achill. Plenty of activity with a hilly walk with the kids to go swimming in the morning & more swimming & walking in the afternoon (the Atlantic is freezing :eek:). Finally got out for a short run in the evening on Keel beach - one of my favourite places to run. 3.1 miles nice & easy enjoying the sunset with a little fast bit thrown in at the end (10.13, 10.19, 9.55 & 8.10 (.1) )

Sun Had to travel back to Dublin as the eldest was off to the Gaeltacht Monday morning but got a swim in beforehand. Always afraid to run before I drive the kids back as I tend to get a bit sleepy at the wheel !.

Weekly totals : Running - 23.8 miles; Cycling - 68.5 miles: Swimming - 3 swims a very cold Atlantic :rolleyes: Not happy with the running miles this week. The family activities had to come first this weekend so missed my long run. Had hoped to fit it in today but ended up home alone with the youngest two so no hope of getting out.

One final issue this week - back in April Wild Garlic posted in his log about the crap that pops up now and again on the forum and about making an effort to put things right.

Similar crap began to surface again this week and I made an approach (both on my own behalf and others) to a number of people with a view to alleviating the situation which has arisen over the past 18 months or so. The approach was accepted by one, disputed by another and ignored by two others. Not a lot more can be done but I won't be drawn into it any further.

Tues Lunchtime progression run. Loop from Mount St to Merrion Gates & back along Sandymount Strand. Very humid.

5.2 miles (10.08, 9.47, 9.37, 9.28, 9.17, 8.52 (.2) )

Wed Lunchtime run - bit short on time for this one. 4.1 miles (9.48, 9.40, 9.44, 9.44, 8.42 (.1) )

Thurs Some bright spark in work decided to order in sandwiches which meant that planned morning & afternoon workshops morphed into one so no lunchtime run (& I could have had company too) - not impressed as evening was taken up with kids activities.

Fri Went a bit longer on my lunchtime run as I had missed Thursday - 7.5 miles (9.57, 10.21, 10.17, 10.04, 10.04, 10.06, 9.54, 9.36 (.5) )

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.3 miles

Sat Earlyish long run. Didn't feel great on this - felt really hot & sweaty (sorry if tmi :o ) from .5 mile in. Went out with the intention of doing 12 miles so ground it out but it wasn't pretty ! In hindsight, the longer lunchtime run yesterday didn't help although it did mean I was running on tired legs I suppose. Also made the rookie mistake of not taking any water & wasn't near a shop. This wouldn't normally be a problem to me but could have done with it today. Was teased in my local park when I saw a sign saying that the coffee shop was open so I detoured to find that it wasn't :rolleyes:

12.5 miles (10.58, 10.52, 10.42, 10.47, 10.53, 11.07, 10.25, 11.01, 10.59, 11.04, 10.57,10.49, 10.12 (.5) )

Away for the day tomorrow so won't be runnning.

Weekly totals - Running - 29.4 miles; Cycling - 41.9 miles

Verdict - a bit meh - Due to circumstances outside of my control I could only run 4 days & cycle 3 so mileage is a bit down. I knew finishing my run today that I was only .6 off 30 miles for the week but couldn't face it. On the positive side I managed one run with a few quicker miles, one longer than normal lunch run & my run today was my longest since DCM.

Mon Cycle commute x 2 - 13.8 miles. No lunchtime run today - was only working a half day as I had to bring the youngest to the physio. Hopefully seeing an end in sight for her although her heel bones are still a bit soft indicating a bit more growth to go but she's much better. A few more weeks might do it - fingers crossed.

Tues Lunchtime run out Sandymount direction. Didn't feel like doing this at all for some reason but settled into it fine once I'd changed and got out the door. 3 miles easy & 2 a bit faster. 5.1 miles (9.53, 10.05, 9.53, 9.42, 9.18, 8.59 (.1)

Wed Lunchtime run that nearly didn't happen. Was off-site at a meeting for most of the morning. Got back to the office a bit late & got caught up on phone calls. Had decided that it was a bit too late to get out for a run & was going to take my chances on getting out tonight (kinda knew that wouldn't happen :o ). Then I saw this on TBL's log:
    Duanington wrote: »
    Its the little things

- Was told no that last entry was 10, went over myself to ask in person

- Was tempted to just call it a day but got the gear on and headed off with no route planned

Well done C!

That made my mind up for me & I got out - thanks Duanington :)

Was a bit tight for time so just 4.2 miles (8.48, 9.22, 9.13, 9.25, 7.57 (.2) ) Probably the best run I've had in a while. Pushed it a bit more than usual.

Thurs No chance of a lunchtime run with some bright spark organising a lunchtime meeting - not impressed as I had a chance of company which would have pushed me too. Caught up with family stuff in the evening.

Fri Another chance of company went by the wayside this lunchtime but did manage to get out late for a short quick run - 3.3 miles (9.26, 9.59, 9.31, 9.14 (.3)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.1 miles

Sat The youngest turned 10 today and, as no one had school or work, had the day planned from dawn to dusk. Needless to say the list of things to do included things like a visit to the funfair & a family tea party & a movie night but try as I might, I heard no mention of a run for her mam :rolleyes: We did fit in a birthday cycle though - 5 miles around Corkagh Park :)

Sun Spent the day around TBL country visiting the eldest.

Weekly totals - Running - A very dismal 12.6 miles :o ; Cycling - 74.7 miles

Verdict - Very much a 'must do better' week. I had thoughts of making it an 8 day week and trying to fit a long run in sometime on Monday but it wasn't possible. I've been doing well consistency wise the last few weeks so am going to view this as a blip & move on :o

• Advertisement

Mon Nothing - Was in Croke Park for the morning watching my daughter's school team win their camogie final :) Had hoped to run home but a late meeting left me with too little time.

Tues Easy lunchtime run out Sandymount direction - 5 miles (9.59, 9.51, 9.48, 10.03, 9.54)

Wed lunchtime run - 5 miles (9.52, 10.19, 10.07, 10.12, 10.08)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.4 miles

Thurs Very gentle lunchtime run - came off the bike on the way to work & was a little achy so took it very handy - 4.1 miles (10.11, 10.16, 10.16, 10.15, 9.12 (.1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Be carful u dont turn into one onf those tryathete types....

UM1 wrote: »
    Be carful u dont turn into one onf those tryathete types....

Haha, two chances - I'd drown on the first leg :rolleyes: The cycling is just for commuting. So much better for the head than sitting in traffic and I actually miss it now if I'm not on the bike. I was surprised to see though that I've covered 1,320 miles on the bike so far this year. The vast, vast majority of that is commuting, time I'd otherwise spend in a car or on the bus. Can't fault that :)

Fri No running - my fall on the bike turned out a bit worse than I had originally thought and, in hindsight, I shouldn't have run on Thursday. My foot was sore to walk on on Friday so took no chances & left the run. The same leg & glute were fairly badly bruised (still are !) so was hoping it was just a knock on effect.

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.2 miles

Sat & Sun Foot & neck still sore for most of Saturday & part of Sunday so did nothing. Was annoyed to miss my long run but thought it best to look at the bigger picture rather than aggravate a niggle.

Weekly totals : Running - 14.3 miles (with 3 days off for niggle); Cycling - 56.6 miles

Mon Easy lunchtime run to test the foot - all seems fine. 5.1 miles (9.53, 10.00, 10.09, 10.00, 9.48, 8.57(.1)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14 miles

Tues Lunchtime run along the seafront in Sandymount - 5.1 miles (9.46, 9.53, 9.57, 9.22, 9.16, 8.59 (.1)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14 miles

Wed A bit caught for time at lunchtime - 4.2 miles around Herbert Park (9.35, 9.51, 9.54, 9.45, 8.47 (.2) )

Thurs Lunchtime progression run along the canal 5.2 miles (9.52, 9.42, 9.43, 9.26, 8.37, 8.01 (.2) ) Fairly happy with this one.

Hope to stretch my lunchtime run a bit tomorrow if I get a chance. Heading away on Saturday for a week. Chances of running could be a bit slim but I hope to keep it ticking over & get a long run in next weekend. Marathon training begins properly on Monday week :)

Fri My lunchtime run looked in jeopardy as I had a few things I needed to do before heading away tomorrow. Decided to run from one place to the next in the end even though it would mean a few breaks in the run. First up was Mount Merrion to collect an insurance certificate. Ended up having to wait about 20 minutes for it so it was like starting again when I got going. Had to head to the bank in Baggot Street (ended up waiting there too :( ) & then back to work.

Total run was 6.8 miles (9.22, 9.38, 9.26, 8.54, 9.15, 9.09, 8.44 (.8) )

Would have liked to have time for a longer run but settled for a quicker one instead. Was happy that the pace felt comfortable throughout.

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.8 miles (including a detour to avoid 3 big dogs who were taking too much interest in me - I'm a coward that way :P )

Weekly total for week ended 3 July: Running: 26.6 miles; Cycling - 71.1 miles

Weekly total for week ended 10 July - nothing
    - I was away for in Miltown Malbay in Clare for this week & ended up getting a chest infection which knocked me out fairly badly. I've run through these before and ended up sick for 3/4 weeks so, given the week that was in it, I decided to be sensible. Might have been different if I was in Dublin. Plenty of sessions of a different kind (tunes) all week though.

Week 1 of DCM Training :eek: Going to give the 'Meno' Plan a go (with his blessing). I'm a bit nervous about the sessions & the mileage is more than I've done before but we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Mon Eased back into it with an easy lunchtime run - 4.5 miles (10.18, 10.18, 10.42, 10.14, 10.03 (.5) ) Still not 100% but getting there.

I'm home alone with the dog this week so he had to be walked when I got home (50 minutes mutt strolling :cool: )

Tues Moved tomorrow's session to today because I'll likely be caught up workwise tomorrow.

Plan - 2 miles warm up, 8 minutes steady, 8 minutes @ MP, 8 minutes @HMP, 8 minutes hard (approx 10K pace), 2 miles c/d

Actual - 1 mile warm up, 1 mile steady, 1 mile @ MP, 1 mile @ HMP, 1 mile hard, 1 mile c/d.

Was fairly nervous approaching this as sessions like this are way outside my comfort zone (I'm fairly happy plodding along :rolleyes:). As usual was tight enough for time so had to make do with 1 mile w/u & c/d. My only way of recording the run is through the Strava app on my phone so decided to go with mile splits rather than 8 minutes so that I would see the pace. Was surprised to find this fairly ok until the 1 mile hard which was punctuated with a few coughing fits which I had to stop for (lungs still not right). Not ideal seeing as this was to be continuous but couldn't be helped. Was glad of the cool down mile at the end.

Total 6 miles - (10.35, 9.50, 9.30, 8.59, 8.24, 10.25)

Mutt strolling x 2 - 30 minutes before work & 55 minutes after work (guilt is a terrible thing :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck with the Meno Marathon training.

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of luck with the Meno Marathon training.

Thanks Anne.

Wed 5.1 miles recovery run along the canal. Felt sluggish for the first two miles but grand after that. Nothing much to say about this one :rolleyes: 5.1 miles (10.24, 10.25, 10.04, 10.04, 10.04, 9.03 (.1)

Cycle commute x 1 - 7.4 miles. Picked up a new bike after work. What a difference into the wind !!! Should make winter cycling a bit easier I hope :)

Mutt strolling x 2 again today - 30 minutes before work & 55 after. Walking with him reinforces why I could never run with him - he's either dragging me or I'm pulling him out of bushes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck with the plan. I'm following the same one so will be following your progress!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plan. I'm following the same one so will be following your progress!

Thanks. Best of luck to you too - will check out your log.

• Advertisement
Advertisement