Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016: Leath maith tús na hoibre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Be carful u dont turn into one onf those tryathete types....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

UM1 wrote: »
    Be carful u dont turn into one onf those tryathete types....

Haha, two chances - I'd drown on the first leg :rolleyes: The cycling is just for commuting. So much better for the head than sitting in traffic and I actually miss it now if I'm not on the bike. I was surprised to see though that I've covered 1,320 miles on the bike so far this year. The vast, vast majority of that is commuting, time I'd otherwise spend in a car or on the bus. Can't fault that :)

Fri No running - my fall on the bike turned out a bit worse than I had originally thought and, in hindsight, I shouldn't have run on Thursday. My foot was sore to walk on on Friday so took no chances & left the run. The same leg & glute were fairly badly bruised (still are !) so was hoping it was just a knock on effect.

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.2 miles

Sat & Sun Foot & neck still sore for most of Saturday & part of Sunday so did nothing. Was annoyed to miss my long run but thought it best to look at the bigger picture rather than aggravate a niggle.

Weekly totals : Running - 14.3 miles (with 3 days off for niggle); Cycling - 56.6 miles

Mon Easy lunchtime run to test the foot - all seems fine. 5.1 miles (9.53, 10.00, 10.09, 10.00, 9.48, 8.57(.1)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14 miles

Tues Lunchtime run along the seafront in Sandymount - 5.1 miles (9.46, 9.53, 9.57, 9.22, 9.16, 8.59 (.1)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14 miles

Wed A bit caught for time at lunchtime - 4.2 miles around Herbert Park (9.35, 9.51, 9.54, 9.45, 8.47 (.2) )

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.9 miles

Thurs Lunchtime progression run along the canal 5.2 miles (9.52, 9.42, 9.43, 9.26, 8.37, 8.01 (.2) ) Fairly happy with this one.

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.9 miles

Hope to stretch my lunchtime run a bit tomorrow if I get a chance. Heading away on Saturday for a week. Chances of running could be a bit slim but I hope to keep it ticking over & get a long run in next weekend. Marathon training begins properly on Monday week :)

Fri My lunchtime run looked in jeopardy as I had a few things I needed to do before heading away tomorrow. Decided to run from one place to the next in the end even though it would mean a few breaks in the run. First up was Mount Merrion to collect an insurance certificate. Ended up having to wait about 20 minutes for it so it was like starting again when I got going. Had to head to the bank in Baggot Street (ended up waiting there too :( ) & then back to work.

Total run was 6.8 miles (9.22, 9.38, 9.26, 8.54, 9.15, 9.09, 8.44 (.8) )

Would have liked to have time for a longer run but settled for a quicker one instead. Was happy that the pace felt comfortable throughout.

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.8 miles (including a detour to avoid 3 big dogs who were taking too much interest in me - I'm a coward that way :P )

Weekly total for week ended 3 July: Running: 26.6 miles; Cycling - 71.1 miles

Weekly total for week ended 10 July - nothing
    - I was away for in Miltown Malbay in Clare for this week & ended up getting a chest infection which knocked me out fairly badly. I've run through these before and ended up sick for 3/4 weeks so, given the week that was in it, I decided to be sensible. Might have been different if I was in Dublin. Plenty of sessions of a different kind (tunes) all week though.

Week 1 of DCM Training :eek: Going to give the 'Meno' Plan a go (with his blessing). I'm a bit nervous about the sessions & the mileage is more than I've done before but we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Mon Eased back into it with an easy lunchtime run - 4.5 miles (10.18, 10.18, 10.42, 10.14, 10.03 (.5) ) Still not 100% but getting there.

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.6 miles

I'm home alone with the dog this week so he had to be walked when I got home (50 minutes mutt strolling :cool: )

Tues Moved tomorrow's session to today because I'll likely be caught up workwise tomorrow.

Plan - 2 miles warm up, 8 minutes steady, 8 minutes @ MP, 8 minutes @HMP, 8 minutes hard (approx 10K pace), 2 miles c/d

Actual - 1 mile warm up, 1 mile steady, 1 mile @ MP, 1 mile @ HMP, 1 mile hard, 1 mile c/d.

Was fairly nervous approaching this as sessions like this are way outside my comfort zone (I'm fairly happy plodding along :rolleyes:). As usual was tight enough for time so had to make do with 1 mile w/u & c/d. My only way of recording the run is through the Strava app on my phone so decided to go with mile splits rather than 8 minutes so that I would see the pace. Was surprised to find this fairly ok until the 1 mile hard which was punctuated with a few coughing fits which I had to stop for (lungs still not right). Not ideal seeing as this was to be continuous but couldn't be helped. Was glad of the cool down mile at the end.

Total 6 miles - (10.35, 9.50, 9.30, 8.59, 8.24, 10.25)

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.7 miles

Mutt strolling x 2 - 30 minutes before work & 55 minutes after work (guilt is a terrible thing :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck with the Meno Marathon training.

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of luck with the Meno Marathon training.

Thanks Anne.

Wed 5.1 miles recovery run along the canal. Felt sluggish for the first two miles but grand after that. Nothing much to say about this one :rolleyes: 5.1 miles (10.24, 10.25, 10.04, 10.04, 10.04, 9.03 (.1)

Cycle commute x 1 - 7.4 miles. Picked up a new bike after work. What a difference into the wind !!! Should make winter cycling a bit easier I hope :)

Mutt strolling x 2 again today - 30 minutes before work & 55 after. Walking with him reinforces why I could never run with him - he's either dragging me or I'm pulling him out of bushes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck with the plan. I'm following the same one so will be following your progress!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plan. I'm following the same one so will be following your progress!

Thanks. Best of luck to you too - will check out your log.

• Advertisement

Thurs Ended up with some last minute company for this one which passed it very pleasantly if somewhat faster than planned :rolleyes:

6.5 miles (9.27, 9.24, 9.35, 9.34, 9.20, 9.35, 9.57 (.5) )

Very slight niggle in my calf which I'll have to keep an eye on although a planned rest day tomorrow should help I hope.

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.3 miles

Mutt strolling x 2 again - 30 minutes before work & 50 after. I'm bringing him down to join the family tomorrow :)

Fri Nothing - planned rest day as was driving to Achill after work to see the family for the weekend. I'm usually off all summer with them but a change of job has seen me having to work last week & this week. Had the dog for company last week but am home alone proper this week. Must be the first time in about 26 years or so to be on my own this long - very strange :confused:

Sat Nothing - spent the day with the kids catching up, walking the hills / beach etc - nice day :)

Sun Home alone with the girls in Achill as the boys headed up for the Dubs match so didn't want to be gone too long. 5 miles on the magnificent Keel beach & the Sandybanks. Very slow which didn't match the perceived effort - was quite windy so this might have had an effect or else I was just tired ?

5 miles (11.04, 10.54, 10.49, 11.12, 10.57)

Mon Drove straight from Achill at 5 this morning to work via 2 coffee stops along the way. Took an extended lunch break (on the basis of working later ) to get my LSR done. The plan had 14 miles for this week but I knew I didn't have time for that and set out to do 12/13. Called it a day at 11 miles - combination of the heat, tiredness & a dodgy stomach (might be a lot of coffee & little else ?? ) had me defeated at that. (10.12, 10.40, 10.35, 10.56, 11.01, 10.57, 10.55, 10.35, 10.40, 10.45, 10.45)

Weekly* Totals : Running - 38.3 miles; Cycling - 49.3 miles

* Due to my domestic circumstances this week & not wanting to disappear running for a few hours on the two days that I got to see the family I decided on an 8 day week for last week. Not strictly right I know but ............

Verdict on the week - Out of the three prescribed runs on the plan I managed the session & the recovery run ok but the LSR was 3 miles shorter than it should have been. I did another quicker run by accident rather than design. The mileage for the week was to be 36-42 miles. At 38.3 miles I'm within that range but would prefer to be nearer the higher end.

Tues A meeting over-running badly meant I didn't get out to run at lunchtime (lost the will to life by 12.30 :rolleyes: ). Might have been no harm really given the heat today. Headed out this evening as soon as I got home. 5 hot miles on the grass in Corkagh Park. Found this tough but was glad to get it done. Was still fairly hot & I don't do heat well. Thought about waiting until it got cooler but was afraid I'd find an excuse not to go :o 5 (9.40, 9.52, 9.48, 9.45, 10.09)

Cycle commute x 2 - 14.1 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

As a three-time user of the meno plan (which did the job every time) I'm always interested in other people's experiences. Are you a clubmate of meno's? Is he giving you a bit of extra support? It's interesting that the plan seems to be growing in popularity, despite the absence of its designer. :)

That's a good week. You don't have to be at the top end to be successful - the first time I followed the plan I only aimed for 90% of the minimum (because I didn't really have the recommended base behind me).

Best of luck with it. What's the goal? From your MP session it looks to be 4:10-4:15 or so?

Murph_D wrote: »
    As a three-time user of the meno plan (which did the job every time) I'm always interested in other people's experiences. Are you a clubmate of meno's? Is he giving you a bit of extra support? It's interesting that the plan seems to be growing in popularity, despite the absence of its designer. :)

That's a good week. You don't have to be at the top end to be successful - the first time I followed the plan I only aimed for 90% of the minimum (because I didn't really have the recommended base behind me).

Best of luck with it. What's the goal? From your MP session it looks to be 4:10-4:15 or so?

Not a club mate - I'm not a member of a club. I've seen people using the plan here and thought I'd give it a go. I contacted him as a courtesy before using the plan (not sure how that sort of thing usually works & didn't want to just use it without asking). That's as far as it goes though. Goal is fairly loose atm - will see how the summer goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

kit3 wrote: »
    Not a club mate - I'm not a member of a club. I've seen people using the plan here and thought I'd give it a go. I contacted him as a courtesy before using the plan (not sure how that sort of thing usually works & didn't want to just use it without asking). That's as far as it goes though. Goal is fairly loose atm - will see how the summer goes.

His marathon plan was the only good thing about that no-goodnik. We're well shut of him.

davedanon wrote: »
    His marathon plan was the only good thing about that no-goodnik. We're well shut of him.

Don't be bold ;)

Wed Nothing - had to go to Cork for a funeral. For once I wasn't in a rush back (family all away) so spent a nice bit of time with my Dad. Too late for a run by the time I got back.

Thurs Lunchtime tempo run. Plan had 3x2 miles at HMP with half mile jog recovery in between. Was a bit nervous approaching this - still feeling my way with these sessions. Figured I'd just about get it done at lunchtime but was delayed getting out :( so stuck to a 1 mile warm up. Managed to keep the pace close enough to hmp for the first 2 miles. Definitely needed the half mile recovery. Found the next 2 harder but got there more or less. Copped on starting the last 2 that I was practically out of time so had to make do with 1 mile and a mile or so cooldown. Was nicely tired by the end of this but glad to get it done (more or less).

Mile 1 - warm up (10.28
    Mile 2 - (9.02)
    Mile 3 - (8.59)
    Half mile recovery (10.45)
    Mile 4 - (9.06)
    Mile 5 - (8.57)
    Half mile recovery (10.48)
    Mile 6 - (9.09)
    Mile 7 - Cool down (10.20)
    0.3 (10.26)

Total - 8.3 miles

Cycle commute x 2 - 13.8 miles

Fri Pre work recovery run - 5 miles in 52 mins (ave 10.24)

Sat Cycle around Achill with the kids - 8.6 miles

Sun Early morning long run - started out dry which quickly changed to showers & then heavy rain. Got finished before it got torrential though. Did most of this on grass/sand. Ground was uneven for the most part and it was windy which might explain the extra slow pace ? Not too bothered though - today was about getting the miles in.

14.1 miles (11.25, 11.15, 11.21, 11.17, 11.29, 11.37, 11.35, 11.12, 10.58, 11.17, 11.04, 11.20, 11.30, 11.55, 11.46(.1) )

Weekly total: Running - 43.5 miles; Cycling - 36.7 miles

Mon Rest day - summer school on here for the week so was getting the kids settled into classes etc

Tues Easy run on the Sandybanks in Keel - an area of uneven ground which is grass covering sand. 6.1 miles (9.52, 10.08, 9.58, 10.04, 10.18, 10.13, 9.55 (.1) )

Wed Easy run - no stats for this one. 5 miles in 51 mins

Thurs 1 mile w/u; 10x400 with 60 secs recovery; 1 mile cooldown. Couldn't figure out an easy way to record this on the phone app so just have stats for the miles covered. Distance was also approximate but think I more or less covered it. Found this one tough enough but glad to get it done as I nearly chickened out :o 5 miles total (10.24, 8.25, 8.35, 8.45, 10.56)

Fri Easy 5 recovery on Keel beach - (10.29, 10.22, 10.02, 10.21, 10.22)

• Advertisement

Sat easy 5 miles in 51 mins

Sun Rest - decided to leave my long run till Mon - very late nights & early mornings during the week taking their toll

Mon 16 mile LSR. I'm a week behind in the long runs. The plan this week had 10 miles with 6 at MP but, after a bit of consultation with more experienced people I decided that I was better off getting last week's longer run in. Was fine for 12 miles out of 14 the week before and fine for 14 out of 16 this week so I suppose that's progress.
    16.1 miles (10.50, 10.47, 10.52, 11.01, 10.43, 11.14, 10.41, 11.00, 11.02, 11.08, 11.27, 11.04, 11.15, 11.28, 11.23, 11.38, 10.39(.1) )

Weekly total - 42.4 miles (8 day week)

Tues Easy recover run - fairly windy. Set out to do 5 miles but cut it short as my left calf was a little niggly - nothing serious (I hope) but a little tlc needed.
    3.6 miles (10.27, 10.34, 10.56, 11.15 (.6) )

It's very quiet here, hope everything is going well. Have you done your first 20 miler yet?

It's very quiet here, hope everything is going well. Have you done your first 20 miler yet?

Thanks for the nudge - been meaning to update here all week (must do it later !). Not a hope of 20 miles for me I'm afraid. Been nursing a niggle in my calf for the last few week. Really disappointed today - thought I had it under control this week but had to cut my long run short after 10.5 miles & it's a bit sore to walk on now. Needless to say the Meno plan is out the window :mad:

That's a pity, hope it's nothing serious. I was just reading over the plan and it's says "the next 6-7 weeks are the crux of the plan" with lots of MP runs. Even if you rested for a week once you got back into it then you should be OK.

That's a pity, hope it's nothing serious. I was just reading over the plan and it's says "the next 6-7 weeks are the crux of the plan" with lots of MP runs. Even if you rested for a week once you got back into it then you should be OK.

Tbh my priority is to get to the start line intact at this stage but will see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

kit3 wrote: »
    Needless to say the Meno plan is out the window :mad:
    Time for the um plan...ur hubby will be plenty happy

UM1 wrote: »
    Time for the um plan...ur hubby will be plenty happy

Hahaha - I'm afraid to ask !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear about the injury kit, a visit to the man with the healing hands(ecoli) might help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

hope you get it sorted soon and definitely a visit sooner rather than later to someone who can sort it for you..compression sleeves or sock in the meantime will do wonder for it too.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    hope you get it sorted soon and definitely a visit sooner rather than later to someone who can sort it for you..compression sleeves or sock in the meantime will do wonder for it too.

Thanks Anne. It's improved today but it's been like that now for about 3 weeks so there's definately something there I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow with a local fella that I've gone too a few times. He's really good. I'm hopeful that it's nothing too bad but does need attention alright. Still plenty of time for DCM even if I end up lowering my expectations.

Advertisement