Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IPAD 2 wont power after repair

• 19-03-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    Just did an ambitious project where I replaced the rear housing of my IPAD 2. This involved a total dissassemble right town to the bare metal and re built it again in the new housing. Not for the faint hearted but easy enough if you are handy with a screwdriver and know a bit about electronics.

I did it because th ekids had dropped it so many times that the digitiser would not fit in without filing off the corners. it looked very ratty.

Anyhow, I now have a beautifull new looking IPAD with all parts put back in BUT...

Nothing on the screen. I tried the 15 second power button/home button thing but nothing. I suspect I either: Fried the Motherboard somehow (ESD). Or I broke the screen.

My question: Has anyone any Idea how to diagnose the root cause from here? The only indication of "life" from the ipad is on the screen. No other LED's or anything. Is there anything I can do with some pc software maybe to detect the state of the system? Does anyone know a good diagnosis website (plenty of assemble and disassemble youtubes but no diagnosis.

Any Help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Hi,
    Just did an ambitious project where I replaced the rear housing of my IPAD 2. This involved a total dissassemble right town to the bare metal and re built it again in the new housing. Not for the faint hearted but easy enough if you are handy with a screwdriver and know a bit about electronics.

I did it because th ekids had dropped it so many times that the digitiser would not fit in without filing off the corners. it looked very ratty.

Anyhow, I now have a beautifull new looking IPAD with all parts put back in BUT...

Nothing on the screen. I tried the 15 second power button/home button thing but nothing. I suspect I either: Fried the Motherboard somehow (ESD). Or I broke the screen.

My question: Has anyone any Idea how to diagnose the root cause from here? The only indication of "life" from the ipad is on the screen. No other LED's or anything. Is there anything I can do with some pc software maybe to detect the state of the system? Does anyone know a good diagnosis website (plenty of assemble and disassemble youtubes but no diagnosis.

Any Help would be appreciated...
    It doesn't show up in iTunes when you connect it? Personally I think another full disassemble might be worth a shot. It might be as simple as a cable left disconnected, or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The problem may be the kids. Buy a new ipad, and send the kids off for a few years. See how long the new one lasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'm hoping you did not seal the screen before finding out the power on issue?

I'd wager brophs line would be the best

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TurningBlue

endacl wrote: »
    The problem may be the kids. Buy a new ipad, and send the kids off for a few years. See how long the new one lasts?

Hah! I tried resetting the kids to see if it would help but could not find the power button..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TurningBlue

brophs wrote: »
    It doesn't show up in iTunes when you connect it? Personally I think another full disassemble might be worth a shot. It might be as simple as a cable left disconnected, or something?

Yea, I was thinking that as well.. I did not try itunes (duh for me!!) Good idea. At least it will tell me if the motherboard or the screen might be a problem... That little ribbon cable for the power volume and lock is murder to put in so maybe I did something there. I'll break out the multimeter to see if the power is getting through.

Lucally I tested before sealing up the unit so its fine do disassemble again...

There are just a handful of connectors in the device, maybe one of them is not seated properly..

Anyway I'll let you know how I get on. Another 2 hrs over the weekend under the microscope:-) Thanks for the help!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement