Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Months waiting for Surgery

Options
  • 19-03-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice here.
    I'm currently in month 12 of waiting for an operation to be performed, I had the initial consultation in March of 2014 and would really like if I got it ASAP now.

My circumstances have changed slightly.

I'm now a Laya member so I'm I still covered? (was a holder of a Medical Card in 2014)

I hear ntpf been mentioned, would they still be able to help?

I'm also in a position in paying for the op myself, is that a possibility in speeding up the waiting time and what is the process involved with that?

Any help on this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Best thing to do is ring the secretary of the consultant you saw, let them know of your changed circumstances/willingness to pay. Having insurance doesn't stop you accessing a procedure using the public route.

Many insurance policies will have a clause that precludes cover where the condition pre-existed your taking out the policy. You'd need to read your policy to clarify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As well as pre-existing exclusions most insurers have a waiting period for non-emergency cover as well. Unless you previously had insurance these waiting periods can be extensive depending on age - its one of the few things they've always been allowed discriminate on age for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Be very careful with Laya. Get EVERYTHING in writing. They don't like paying for ANYTHING. Laya are a despicable company who look for any reason not to pay AFTER the fact. Based on my own experience with them I would go the public route.

Write a letter to the consultant saying you need the operation soon. Get your doctor to write the hospital a letter. And talk to your local TD. Just get noticed. It works.

Advertisement