Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in rented property

Options
  • 19-03-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I'm looking for advice and wondering can anyone help? 6months through a 1 year lease and 3 weeks ago the house I am renting went on fire. The fire was caused by an electrical fault. I've moved what's left of my stuff out and have been staying at a buddy's place since. I've approached the landlord for the rent I paid at start of March but he keeps fobbing me off. I've also asked him what he plans to do once house is fixed etc . 10 wks approx. AGain no definitive answer. Than today he asked me to return to house and wash dishes and clean the microwave and oven so he can check the inventory!! Sorry but washing the dishes wasn't really on my to do list as the house was in flames!!The house is now a building site as work is being carried out in the upstairs of the property. Any advice on how I should approach this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Should the landlord not be housing you in the interim? (Genuine question - this is what I thought things like LL insurance were for).

I'd get on to threshold and find out what the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bradley1981

He made a reference to this few days after the fire but there is no property to match our needs anywhere nearby. The fact he wants to go through inventory makes it seem like he wants us gone (3 professionals). I dint know whether I should go in to clean areas of house like cooker etc when damage caused by smoke as well as out use. Also items in house was damaged on fire and he wants to do an inventory??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should the landlord not be housing you in the interim? (Genuine question - this is what I thought things like LL insurance were for).

I'd get on to threshold and find out what the situation is.

That's what I would have thought too. Just check my insurance policies and see if they cover alternative accomodation for my tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He made a reference to this few days after the fire but there is no property to match our needs anywhere nearby. The fact he wants to go through inventory makes it seem like he wants us gone (3 professionals). I dint know whether I should go in to clean areas of house like cooker etc when damage caused by smoke as well as out use. Also items in house was damaged on fire and he wants to do an inventory??

It may be required for an insurance claim

Ya that's true I suppose. Didn't look at it that way. Any advice on whether to go in and clean etc?? It's few plates, oven microwave etc? Fire startef upstairs while we were having dinner . Hence no wash Up. Plus I'm still in a lease so should I have to clean it now? Also house is now a by building site as repair work being completed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

If the place is now a building site should you be even entering the property?

Ya that's what I said to him earlier but he just said that the builders are only working upstairs. Still a building site by my reckoning. It's so hard to talk to the landlord as well he just keeps repeating the same things

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ya that's what I said to him earlier but he just said that the builders are only working upstairs. Still a building site by my reckoning. It's so hard to talk to the landlord as well he just keeps repeating the same things

If they are only working upstairs would it really kill you to go and clean where you were eating?

On the rest of it give threshold a call to see where you stand and directly ask the landlord if he will cover your costs for the period your rent is paid up to at least

Absolutely no problem cleaning up but you have to realise the mess is exacerbated by the fire. There is ashes dust etc strewn all over the kitchen. Also the fire crew had to clear a path out the back to take out all the material which had burnt. This path was through the kitchen..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

To me it seems a bit cheeky of the LL to ask you to clean up the dishes and microwave, all that damages can be claimed off his insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Another thing, if you do go back and clean up ask the LL for safety gear, ie, shoes/goggles /hardhat, anything H@S require you need to enter a building site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Absolutely no problem cleaning up but you have to realise the mess is exacerbated by the fire. There is ashes dust etc strewn all over the kitchen. Also the fire crew had to clear a path out the back to take out all the material which had burnt. This path was through the kitchen..

Ah that makes more sense then.

I'm wondering if the landlord has an insufficient insurance policy here?

Ya maybe, he is not telling me very much. We were good tenants, he called once in last 18 months to bleed the radiators that was it. No other issues. Get the feeling he is trying to take advantage here

In case anyone is wondering there was a new contract after year 1 as 2 new tenants moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I think he's possibly trying to cut corners. As someone who has had a serious housefire I can tell you that the house will need a deep clean and not just a cursory cooker wipe down and microwave scrub.

Your curtains and other soft furnishings will likely stink of smoke, which is extremely difficult to remove, and there will be ash and dust everywhere.

What is he proposing to do about these?

He mentioned professional cleaners alright once all the repair work has been done. 3 rooms upstairs gutted and smoke Damage and water damage (fire brigade) also . As I say he is so hard to talk to and just keeps saying "we ll discuss it later" "I'll have an answer for you soon" . It's so frustrating. As you say the smell in the house all over is really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

All the damage done by the fire would be covered by the landlords insurance apart from damage due to the tenants possessions which would be covered by their contents insurance if they had any. The landlords insurance would cover a professional clean so he shouldn't have to cut corners regarding the work/cost done.

Advertisement