Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low/no calorie treats for a cat

• 19-03-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

hi guys. just wanted to get some advice on this from anyone who has experience with cats.

brought my cat to the vet recently and was told he could do with losing a little weight so I have him on better food and digitally weigh the amounts to keep it strict!

Hes an absolutely monster for food though and he's doing my head in now crying constantly for food.

does anyone know any good food or toy distractions that can be used to "treat" him when he's acting particularly upset? he doesn't seem to react at all to catnip so that's out.

any suggestions would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ive 2 dogs... And am very particular about their weight.

As a result, their treats are limited to their kibble (good quality stuff), veggies (they love carrot) and fruits (apple being a favourite).

They're also raw fed (not sure if many cats are) and love a big meaty brisket bone. Keeps their teeth and gums spotless! And the occasional fish head. They really love their food.

Just check if any fruits or veggies are bad for cats...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Serve half his kibble in a treat ball instead in his ball and look at things such as freeze dried meat but you need to reduce his kibble accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

his food has been reduced accordingly which is what is causing so much upset. Hes pretty fussy and Won't touch most meats even, only tuna. I'm not sure about feeding that either because I don't know how to measure how much he can or can't have. I might try the trick with putting his food into a toy though

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

I have one cat who is a complete greedy guts, and used to cry pathetically every time i open the fridge etc. you would think we starved her!
    Cruel to be kind, the crying is manipulation and if you give in you are teaching the cat that the crying is rewarded with food, if you don't react (difficult I know!) the crying will stop, they won't continue a behaviour that doesn't pay off.

There is a fantastic toy called Cat's Meow that mine will chase for ages, brilliant exercise for them if you want to up the exercise? My big cat isn't too interested in running and playing but loves chasing this. The laser dot is a good one for exercise too, mine will chase it up and down the cat tree for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

We have a total greedy guts too. She's fed on dry cat food so it is easy to measure out. What we do is give her 4/5ths of her evening meal at 6pm and then the remainder at 10pm. We must have the only cat in the world who knows when it 10pm! She'll get up from where she's sleeping, glare at us and wait beside the cupboard.

She still gets the same amount of food daily and it has (mostly) prevented her from getting too distressed and plaguing us. There are some days when she will moan all evening until she's fed but they're rare. We can't leave her food down because we have five other cats who'll eat everything in sight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement