Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayward Pines [** Spoilers **]

• 19-03-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭

Mod wrote:
    Mod Note: This series is based on a trilogy of books by Blake Crouch. NO BOOK SPOILERS for anything that hasn't been on TV yet - you will be punished!

Trailer for Wayward Pines – 10-episode Midseason Event Series From Fox. Premieres in 2015.

Starts on May 14th

Hopefully a return to form from M. Night Shyamalan, seems to be like Twin Peaks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

The first episode is available on Sky Catch Up for 6 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FOX UK on Thursday May 14th at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The pilot is excellent. Really lived up to expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

This is going to **** with my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

an interesting pilot
    pity Ethan & his family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really enjoyed the pilot.

It's got a strong vibe of The Prisoner off it which is good.

Great cast looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Skerries wrote: »
    This is going to **** with my head

Its in that same timeslot as Fortitude, let's hope it doesn't wreck the head like Fortitude did! But looking forward to it.
    Marje wrote: »
    The first episode is available on Sky Catch Up for 6 days.

Thanks, I saw that briefly & thought that was only the trailer, didn't look any further!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Starting tonight on Fox @9 guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Good pilot. Twin peaksey and Alan Wake in its setting. Overtones of the Prisoner, the Nowhere Man and Lost. Bit clumbsy in parts but interesting.

Really enjoyed the pilot.

It's got a strong vibe of The Prisoner off it which is good.

Great cast looking forward to the rest of the season.
    McGoohan version not Catweazel version, I hope!

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    McGoohan version not Catweazel version, I hope!

Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Enjoyable first episode. Can't see how they'd come up with an even vaguely plausible explanation for the goings on but I suppose we can enjoy the journey especially if they do keep it to a 10 episode one-off season rather than dragging it out ad nauseum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is based on the first of 3 books (Pines, Wayward, The Last Town).
    If they do one season per book, it will be a nice self-contained 3-series story.

Try to avoid reading about the books - you'll spoil a massive twist about halfway through season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must catch up on this.

If they are based on books, any chance of a warning in the title?

Done.

Watched it at lunchtime and it is indeed very 'Prisoner' like with Matt Dillon like a No 6 character trying to escape the Village! I enjoyed the first episode and will look forward to how it pans out.It would be great if it was just a once off season and tie up the story rather than drag it out for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If this is to be a miniseries then I'll not bother with the books. So now just have to avoid spoilers from all those people who never even knew of the books until now but will post spoilers based on what they read about the books online.

Just watched the first episode. Thought was really only a hint of Twin Peaks. Felt more like The Prisoner and him trying to leave town reminded me of The Truman Show.
    Also find the aging thing interesting. 1 person claiming to be there a year, despite arriving about 15 years ago and 1 being there 12 years having only just got there.
    Though think more want to see what they do to people to have them settle

Didn't recognise Shannyn Sossamon, but think last time I saw her was in 40 Days and 40 Nights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched first episode, liked it.
    I think he is dead and in some purgatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Just watched first episode, liked it.
    I think he is dead and in some purgatory.

Like Lost? (Or that interpretation of it anyway.) That'd be awful. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got a Shutter Island vibe from it.

• Advertisement

Reminded me of Persons Unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Reminded me of Persons Unknown

I came here to post this exact thing. It feels like a cross between Persons Unknown and Harper's Island. Really excited to see how the rest of the show plays out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Re Persons Unknown - is it good or bad to be reminded of that?

Re Persons Unknown - is it good or bad to be reminded of that?

I liked it, it started well but ended badly, if you can watch all the episodes in one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Quite fast paced. I agree with an above poster. The time thing is interesting. Maybe its where they put agents out to pastor or testing new forms of imprisonment.

Never heard of the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mr E wrote: »
    This is based on the first of 3 books (Pines, Wayward, The Last Town).
    If they do one season per book, it will be a nice self-contained 3-series story.

I think the writers said that the first series will actually cover all 3 books .
    Series 2 would be made up if greenlit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Made a note of this show last week when I saw an ad, but foolishly not the channel or day/time it's on - Fox, Thursday seems to be what people are saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

An even stronger second episode. This will be the show of the summer it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I thought that second episode was as weak as tapwater.

Drama me arse, terrible overacting. The nurse is the only half decent character imo.

Im giving up now...before its cancelled.

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    I thought that second episode was as weak as tapwater.

Drama me arse, terrible overacting. The nurse is the only half decent character imo.

I also thought it was overacted and a bit rushed .

Matt Dillon's character doesn't seem to be the brightest chap
    He seems to be obsessed with his initial mission to find the two missing agents ,which you'd think would take a back seat after he was almost killed in a car accident and he is in a weird town .
    There has also been no mention of his partner in the crash ??

He also seemed to get pretty fed up with the town after only being there a day or two which was too sudden.
    Im giving up now...before its cancelled.

It wont be cancelled ,its a 10 episode series ,which covers the 3 existing books

I'm enjoying the show ,its not without flaws but its gripping stuff and keeping me guessing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Really enjoying the show so far. Although the
    throat slit scene in episode 2 looked fake a fook

I really need to know what's going on! It really seems like a mix between Twin Peaks and The Truman Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I'm loving this so far. I need to know what's happening and I'm just so confused!!!!

I thought the second was alright. Knew yer wan who was helping him was going to be killed off. She was too sympathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is this typical summertime fare? A la "The Strain" or "Under The Dome" or is the acting & scripting better than those two?

Probably not far off those two... watch the first and see if it hooks you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Thanks, but nope, life's too short, and I've plenty other actual quality to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have to say after two episodes I'm absolutely hooked - it really does make you want to keep watching just to see where it's all going. Really looking forward to the next episode. Truman show meets Lost.

I don't know if anyone caught it, but briefly In episode one when I rewatched it, the doctor from wayward pines meets Ethan's boss and the boss asks him if they can "call it off", to which the doctor (Jenkins?) replies "it's done, all taken care of" which implies that the secret service is in on whatever's going on, and are feigning their ignorance about what might have happened to him.

Couple of theories:
    A social experiment?
    A punishment for agents who misbehave? Are Ethan and Kate both there because of their affair?
    Testing a new method of mind control?
    Trying to make people entirely and blindly compliant to authority, a bit like the process of breaking down Jason Bourne's independent mind in The Bourne Ultimatum, before he can be used as a human robot?

Probably none of the above, but those are the main ideas which have occurred to me. The fact that Ethan's boss is suggested to have been involved in, possibly even requesting or authorising Ethan's abduction strikes me as massively significant - surprised it's not getting more discussion online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Loughc wrote: »
    Really enjoying the show so far. Although the
    throat slit scene in episode 2 looked fake a fook

I really need to know what's going on! It really seems like a mix between Twin Peaks and The Truman Show.

Never trusted her, still don't.

I'm enjoying it as it unfolds but for all that a bad ending (it was all a dream) would ruin it. Lost no matter how good it was for a while was ruined by the cop out ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

OK, 3 episodes in and I'm definitely hooked. I love shows that make me ask WTF is going on and this is one of them.

• Advertisement

DaFUQ @ that ending O_O
    Ethan was an absolute idiot to shoot him IMO, he seemed to be in the kind of mood where he would have told him wtf was going on had he just kept the gun pointed at him.

WTF was up with that whole animal sound thing at the end? This series is getting incredibly bizarre.

100% completely addicted at this stage :D

EDIT: Just occurred to me - are the walls around Wayward Pines designed as much to keep something out as they are to keep the population in?

What if the town is a Noah's Ark type project in which certain people have been chosen for whatever reason to exist in this town protected from whatever post-apocalyptic mutants / zombies / whatever exist outside? What if the town is the only "normal" bit of Earth left at some point in the future, and the idea is to try and continue the human race in some form?

So. Many. Questions. :D

EDIT: Sorry lads, assumed we were operating on the Love/Hate principle that spoiler tags were redundant after the episode had aired. My bad.

@hatrickpatrick, you might want to put some spoiler tags in your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Excellent show so far, always had a soft spot for Dillon.

Why are spoiler tags needed once the episode has aired?

Once aired the episode is fair game.

I was a bit uncertain about the first two episodes - the fact they kept jumping back to the family, splitting up the action, was a bit jarring and took away somewhat from the action, but now that the family is with him in the third episode, it seems and feels a lot more cohesive.

It's a very intriguing prospect - would really like to see how they figure out the time differences; Juliette Lewis' character, who didn't last very long at all, says she was there for just a year, when in reality it has been 15-16 years, yet Kate should only have been there 5 weeks has been there 14 years.

Just after finishing episode 3 and they really like killing off their main stars. Adios, Terrance Howard.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why are spoiler tags needed once the episode has aired?

It's to bring posts on Boards.ie in line with the Irish media over the last few days. 99% redacted. ;)

I was a bit uncertain about the first two episodes - the fact they kept jumping back to the family, splitting up the action, was a bit jarring and took away somewhat from the action, but now that the family is with him in the third episode, it seems and feels a lot more cohesive.

Personally I feel that having his family around is going to be a nightmare for him. Especially with the Kate nonsense. It's hard to plan your escape from a freaky open prison when you have to also attempt to smuggle two other people who have no idea what's going on and both of whom seem to be unable to prioritise getting the hell out of there over their suspicions about Kate. Priorities, people!

At least he's reunited with his family this early on. A full season of them chasing him would have been annoying, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

That sheriff loves his ice cream

• Advertisement
Advertisement