Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayward Pines [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Loved how we got the truth midway through the series instead of stringing us along until the end, we really needed some kind of explanation. Had figured early in the episode that they were some sort of evolved humans so loved the way how the teacher chose to explain things to the kids with the coins.

I presume showing the scientist fella outside wayward in past episodes was that he too went into cryogenic stasis after selecting Ethan and a few more for the town. We saw the sheriff outside the town too remember? Musta gone into stasis after that. But I don't get why the teacher said they wouldn't see yer man if he's in the town? Or maybe just that he's going by an alter ego and hides his true identity (except to Ethan and those in the know). Looking forward to the final 5 and where it goes from here, still a few mysteries left to be explained too, including their cultish treatment of hiding the truth (which seems totally extreme to me!). Interesting show you must admit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Maybe it was because the pace was a little slower but I wasn't convinced by the "explanation " .
    Too many things don't add up, the resources required to set up this scenario would have been better spent fighting the threat which btw dosnt seem all that threatning. What's the point of bringing random adults if it all about the children? Why not just a dedicated few to look after them, there seems to be plenty willing adults without the unwilling who have to be met in check by fear which just wastes resources.
    This can't be the whole story, it's only a conceit to build on and we are more than halfway through!

I'd agree with this. As explainations go it makes zero logical sense. The fate of mankind hangs in the ballance, so we hand that fate over to a bunch of teens that have known nothing but the privilage of 21st century first world comfort, but who's parents have 'live too long in such circumstances' to know the truth? What? Their parents can't handle the truth so it's probably best to keep them in a state of paranoid anxiety that they've been kidnapped by a police state?
    As explainations go, this had better not be it becuase it made me want to shoot my telly.

conorhal wrote: »
    Their parents can't handle the truth so it's probably best to keep them in a state of paranoid anxiety that they've been kidnapped by a police state?
    As explainations go, this had better not be it becuase it made me want to shoot my telly.

Hahaha yeah I agree with you on this too, it's a crazy thing to expect them to just suddenly settle down and get a free house and a random job just after they arriving after a traumatic car crash. And killing them if they mention a word about their past like Juliette Lewis briefly mentioning her child? Justice is served, that'll teach 'em! Seems fascist to the extreme.

But we're only halfway through the series, I'm sure we just have to wait and see if they'll expose a twisted kind of logic to their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did they say what wiped out the human race? I just heard about the evolution. I would think to be where they are now would've involved an extinction level event.
    Also who woke them up in this time?
    And why is Ethan so important?

All questions I hope they answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think the explanation maybe just another hoax and they arent getting the full truth ?Might explain all the holes in the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Episode 6 promo

http://youtu.be/aMT8v-3evQk

And "GONE" 3minutes long episodes aired after each episode every week. An additional story to the TV series.

http://youtu.be/GN-ilEhksgQ
    http://youtu.be/db2IzOc4Hd8
    https://youtu.be/XCKo-LWA7rE
    http://youtu.be/VCx8axAI3nE
    http://youtu.be/G-RakQrikH0

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Thanks!

Can't believe we have to wait two weeks for this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Mr E wrote: »
    That episode will make it or break it for a lot of viewers. :)

Hmmm what was your take on it E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like we have ourselves a reader.

Thread cleaned up, no book chat, thanks!

• Advertisement

Puddle Q wrote: »
    Hmmm what was your take on it E?

Loved it. Completely bat**** crazy, but that's part of the fun. I'll be interested to see if the US ratings drop next week now that the big secret is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

This is based on the first of 3 books (Pines, Wayward, The Last Town).
    If they do one season per book, it will be a nice self-contained 3-series story.

Try to avoid reading about the books - you'll spoil a massive twist about halfway through season 1.

Was this what you were on about or is there more?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Loved it. Completely bat**** crazy, but that's part of the fun. I'll be interested to see if the US ratings drop next week now that the big secret is out.

Is it like Twin Peaks?

Different kind of crazy.

adaminho wrote: »
    Was this what you were on about or is there more?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That was the main one yeah. More to come though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

conorhal wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. As explainations go it makes zero logical sense. The fate of mankind hangs in the ballance, so we hand that fate over to a bunch of teens that have known nothing but the privilage of 21st century first world comfort, but who's parents have 'live too long in such circumstances' to know the truth? What? Their parents can't handle the truth so it's probably best to keep them in a state of paranoid anxiety that they've been kidnapped by a police state?

This is exactly the sort of show where I don't care when they come out with some bonkers explanation for what's going on. Where does the milk come from?? Who gives a toss.

Ridiculous, but it's still entertaining me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's obviously UHT milk...

They musta put a few cows in cryogenic stasis, obviously. And a few goats too, for those that prefer goats milk. Them bones them bones need calcium! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its how the time travel worked in Stephen Kings book, 11/22/63; Some kind of open portal so that they can go back and forth might explain the fact that they're getting 21st century supplies.

That helicopter must get through a lot of petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Does telling people that there's going to be a big twist coming actually ruin the fact that there's a big twist coming? Just saying.

Binged all 5 episodes last night. I turned the first one on just after 12 intending to watch just that one. The bloody sun was up before I finished. Fell asleep twice, and rewound to see what I missed. (Now THAT'S commitment :D)

Not convinced by the 41st century explanation though. I can't see how they'd explain the Doctor guy meeting with Ethan's boss unless there's a time travel element, which would be a bit lame IMO.

Gripping stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Greg81 wrote: »
    Episode 6 promo

http://youtu.be/aMT8v-3evQk

And "GONE" 3minutes long episodes aired after each episode every week. An additional story to the TV series.

http://youtu.be/GN-ilEhksgQ
    http://youtu.be/db2IzOc4Hd8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8GJHzc-8Vc
    http://youtu.be/VCx8axAI3nE
    http://youtu.be/G-RakQrikH0

Enjoy.

Nice find Greg. Thanks

Not into the GAA myself, so I fixed the link (in red above)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

DubTony wrote: »
    Does telling people that there's going to be a big twist coming actually ruin the fact that there's a big twist coming? Just saying.

Binged all 5 episodes last night. I turned the first one on just after 12 intending to watch just that one. The bloody sun was up before I finished. Fell asleep twice, and rewound to see what I missed. (Now THAT'S commitment :D)

Not convinced by the 41st century explanation though. I can't see how they'd explain the Doctor guy meeting with Ethan's boss unless there's a time travel element, which would be a bit lame IMO.

Gripping stuff.

He met Ethan's boss before he was frozen. So in the 21st century.

Yeah the 41st century thing isn't adding up for me, who are the mysterious "they" on the other end of the phone?

Brilliantly daft and entertaining stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

The room with the cars looked really cold/ frozen so I'm guessing all the supplies and probably the frozen/ hibernating people are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mormegil

The room with the cars was clearly really cold/ frozen so I'm guessing all the supplies and probably the frozen/ hibernating people are in there.

If you watch the webisodes it's pretty clear that
    chamber is inside the Mountain overlooking Wayward Pines.

As to the supplies we saw Ethan walking/running past numerous containers labelled Coffee, Tea, Milk, Coco Pops etc...

I didn't get the impression the room was frozen though, it was dust on the cars not frost.

I seriously doubt that the cars would be in that good a condition after 2000 years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I'm wondering if it's like that SyFy series, Ascension? The people in that series thought they were in space but were on the ground the whole time.
    The town people think they are in the 41st century but it's all some kind of experiment inside a mountain complex...

oops, my bad. Didn't realise I had guessed correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

^^^

You might want to spoiler that ?

EDIT:

I dont know if you did or not, but the Ascension spoiler is what i was on about. :)

Dammit, I had Ascension on my to-watch list, but I saw the spoiler through an email of that post because I get notifications of threads I'm commenting in, before it was spoiler-tagged. :(:(
    Fexking fexking blast it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Is the series covering all the books or will there be a book per season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is the series covering all the books or will there be a book per season?

The first series will cover the 3 books.
    Episodes 1-5 is Book 1 ,Episodes 6-10 is book 2 and 3.

Series 2 if greenlight will be new material.

2000 years is too long a time jump to be realistic in my opinion.
    How much resources would you need to keep people frozen for that length of time and what is powering it ,perhaps solar power I guess.

Pelcher also doesnt seem to have aged a day since 2014 ,which is strange considering he is in charge.
    I'd have expected him to be at least 20-30 years older if the the first Abbies were seen 14 years ago .

When was Wayward Pines built ?
    Its obviously not the original town from 2000 plus years ago,I suspect it was built from scratch after the 2000 year sleep.
    And why is Ethan so important?
    Ethan to me seems like a reckless fool .
    I've no idea why he isnt put back into hibernation ,he is a loose canon .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I get that we're most likely not getting the full story yet but there's still some things that I can't make sense of such as when Ethan is hit in the cafe and the guy says "Number 28 is giving us trouble". How many people in the town are in on what's going on and what does the 28 refer to.

Is it possible that this is 2000 years in the future (I don't see how that could have faked a ruined Boise) and the 1st generation are not in fact the 1st generation? Maybe they have being defrosting folks for hundreds of years now and the town is a way to get kids to a certain age and understanding before moving them elsewhere?

Edit ! Reading back over the thread and other ideas I'm leaning towards cloning becoming a plotline. Perhaps this Ethan is the 28th that they've tried to integrate and that's why the Doctor and Pam don't seem concered that the sherriff has been killed if he can be brought back. Shouldn't they be pissed that someone who was working for the program in 2014 and must have lots of insider knowledge would be killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As well as Ethan's boss meeting the scientist, we had the sheriff arranging Ethan's family's car crash. If the explanation is to be believed, the scientist and sheriff spent years recruiting/causing car crashes, went into stasis, woke up first, built the village and barriers, and have now had 12 years of life since. That would put the two of them much older than they appear to be.

Something else fishy's going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Didn't the old guy say to Ethan's wife that new people turn up when they're needed.

Maybe after arranging things in the past the sheriff wasn't needed until recently, when dissent and graffiti started.

Pam the nurse is older so maybe she has been running the place until now?

I know, I'm clutching at straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Didn't the old guy say to Ethan's wife that new people turn up when they're needed.

Maybe after arranging things in the past the sheriff wasn't needed until recently, when dissent and graffiti started.

Pam the nurse is older so maybe she has been running the place until now?

I know, I'm clutching at straws.

I think that makes a lot of sense. He could have given instructions to only bring him in if it was really necessary? He was probably in his 50s when they began the project so possibly wanted them to delay bringing him in as much as possible so he would have longer there or more time to see how it works out?

Lots of answers in Episode 6 ,one of the best episodes so far.

I thought it was not on this week, made my day that.

It's due next week?

catallus wrote: »
    It's due next week?

I've just watched it :pac:

My American 2nd cousin has it on the way to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It airs in Australia first that is why it is available in places before it airs in America.

It's not back till next week in America for those watching it US pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Good episode and a lot more info/background to the story.Still expect a few twists .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So wait, was it on Fox UK tonight...?

So wait, was it on Fox UK tonight...?

No it wasnt .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

yabadabado wrote: »
    Good episode and a lot more info/background to the story.Still expect a few twists .
    They just padded out the yarn David Pilcher started telling at the end of ep5.
    I think they are now letting us know that the 2014 meetings; Pope/Theresa Burke, Pilcher/Adam Hassler happened in the past but were made to 'look like' they were happening in parallel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I love how the dynamics of the show are beginning to change. Great episode.

is it just a one series run or will there be a second season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mormegil

ricero wrote: »
    I love how the dynamics of the show are beginning to change. Great episode.

is it just a one series run or will there be a second season ?

I believe it's just one series (covering the three books).

I did read somewhere that some things are left open ended on the off chance that they do decide to have a 2nd season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think they said there will be resolution in the finale but it will still be open to a further season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

No episode this week?

Nope, last weeks one was on Aussie TV (and that aired in the US this week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just flew through the first 6 episodes this week. After maybe 3 episodes I was expecting this to lose steam and descend into endless plot twists that probably hadn't been very well thought out (like most recent high-concept sci-fi shows) but nope, it's remained steady and interesting. You can clearly tell the difference with this show as, from what I understand, it has a definite plan and is very confident about its plot, which is handy as the show seems very story driven.
    Liking it so far. I like that Dillon's character didn't get super moral regarding Pilcher's abductions to populate the town but reluctantly seemed to accept that it may have been for the best without completely being sold that everything Pilcher says is true. Obviously there's a lot left to be revealed but looks like it'll be fun at the very least.

Advertisement