Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much topsoil.???

• 19-03-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all
    just wondering how much topsoil i would need

doing a hedge 40 meters long so doing a trench about 2 foot wide by 2 foot deep

so roughly how many tonnes would i need

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

about 10-12 tonne

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

genuine question - how did you come up with that?
    my method of calculating was to calculate the volume (40 x 0.6 x 0.6) which gives 14.4 cubic metres - i assumed topsoil was heavier than 1 tonne per cubic metre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

genuine question - how did you come up with that?
    my method of calculating was to calculate the volume (40 x 0.6 x 0.6) which gives 14.4 cubic metres - i assumed topsoil was heavier than 1 tonne per cubic metre?

Simple really, 1 ton topsoil > 1 cu m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Simple really, 1 ton topsoil > 1 cu m.

So this is how I work, 1 t of sand/804 =10 m2@5cm (2 inches) deep
    This equates to 1 ton = 1/2 m3

kerb wrote: »
    Hi all
    just wondering how much topsoil i would need

doing a hedge 40 meters long so doing a trench about 2 foot wide by 2 foot deep

so roughly how many tonnes would i need

thanks
    2*2 ft. Would be very generous, would def get away with 18*18"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

rje66 wrote: »
    2*2 ft. Would be very generous, would def get away with 18*18"
    Depending on the size of the hedging 1ft by 1ft would be sufficent, also OP what's wrong soil you'll be digging out of the ground?.

Depending on the size of the hedging 1ft by 1ft would be sufficent, also OP what's wrong soil you'll be digging out of the ground?.

Yes and yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

The soil im taking out is orange doub set like concrete its a site that was filled with everything then about 2 inchs of top soil on top

the hedge im setting is laural

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

I have any amount of topsoil that ill be looking to offload from my new building site, where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

I have any amount of topsoil that ill be looking to offload from my new building site, where are you based ?

In mayo myself, thanks for the offer but i have the soil got,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What part of country you in goose?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    What part of country you in goose?
    Sunny south east

Advertisement