Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 different SSID's for same connection causing issues.

Options
  • 20-03-2015 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, over the past few years I've kept the same SSID, even though I've changed providers/modems/router/connection twice, so it was initially just the SSID, after changing the first time, every so often it would connect under the name SSID2 so it appeared there was still a memory of the old SSID even though I'd clicked "forget connection" when I first saw it happen, it reoccurred. After the second time changing hardware, now it appears to connect to SSID3 from time to time and also SSID2.

I know I could just change the SSID to something completely new and it would probably resolve the issue, but I've things like a wireless printer that has been connected to the original SSID since day one and that was a pain to set up.

Because that's using SSID and not SSID2 or SSID3, I think it's having an issue communicating with the computer, even though they are actually connected to the same router/internet, they recognise it as different SSID's I think?! I'm not too sure what's going on actually, but I was having trouble connecting my phone to the computer with airdroid app and the printer the last few days so thought I'd post here to see if anyone can help.

I think I can probably resolve the issues with just forgetting the connection from my laptop, but I tried already and it didn't seem to help.

Any feedback would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What device are you connecting from? A Windows machine? Perhaps it hasn't properly "forgotten" the original SSIDs....could be a registry hack to fix, but I'm not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply. Yup, it's Windows 7 I'm connecting from :) Would be great if there's a way to just get it to completely forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I used to despair when I went into a cafe or pub and they changed the SSID because they had a new router. It eventually dawned on me that changing the SSID does make sense, your experience being an illustration of what can go wrong when you hang on to the old name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yup, it's Windows 7 I'm connecting from :) Would be great if there's a way to just get it to completely forget it.

If you click on the network icon (bottom left of screen, in the system tray).
    Then click "Open network and sharing center".
    In the left panel, you should have the option to "Manage wireless networks".

If you go in there you should be able to click on each remembered network and click on the remove button at the top to completely remove it...

Thanks again for the replies, I went there and saw SSID2, removed it and it disconnected me from the internet and then when I connected to SSID, only SSID appeared on the list, no 2 or 3, hopefully 2 won't appear again, 3 may, and I'll do the same, and then hopefully neither 2 or 3 will appear again after that :)

EDIT: spoke too soon, when I hover over the sys tray icon it says SSID3 ?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Try the possible solutions "here".

It could be a third party Wi-Fi manager like intel proset, Broadcom etc...

I usually remove all networks from the network and sharing centre and reboot, but sometimes the utilities that come pre-installed with the Wi-Fi card hold the settings anyway...

Thanks for the help. Tried them steps, uninstalling the Intel Pro set wireless and everything (although not the software) and everywhere is showing just SSID, other than when you hover over, or open the windows sys tray and it says currently connected to SSID 3. I think it's connecting with Intel, not windows, but windows shows it anyway.

I don't want to lose all the passwords of all the hotspots I've connected to in the past so if I'm still having issues with the printer etc, I'm just going to rename the SSID and that should fix it I hope. It'll be a lot easier to set the printer up then acquire all the passwords again!

Changed the SSID and it seems to have fixed the issues with connecting with Airdroid so far :) Haven't set up the printer yet but I'd say it'll be fine too. And as a bonus, whatever I did, maybe reinstalling the drivers that time, where I used to have to wait about a minute or two before the computer would connect to the internet after coming out of sleep, it seems to do it instantly, or never loses the connection in the first place while in sleep :)

Advertisement